Quarterbore on Steriods: 257 Roy range report

Dang, Fotis, that's purdy! I think I'd be a little bit afraid of a .416 Weatherby, but I'd probably give 'er a whirl anyway!

If you should be afraid of a Bee fear the 378 with no brake. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Believe me an experience you will not soon forget!

Funny, I have a serious hankerin' for a .416 Remington, and a .416 Rigby, but I want no part of those big-cased Weatherbys. Odd.

BK":3zvv3s6i said:
Funny, I have a serious hankerin' for a .416 Remington, and a .416 Rigby, but I want no part of those big-cased Weatherbys. Odd.

Ahhhhhh.....

The rigby is the same as a beltless 416 Bee other than the venturi shoulder.....

Yeah, I know, odd. Well, there is the fact that the Rigby is commonly loaded to something like 40k psi, versus 65k or so for the Roy rounds.

That Rigby is one cool cartridge Kurt. It seems like the 416 that all others are judged by. Wished Winchester chambered that instead of the RM. Man, I hate you guys for even bringing up the 416's. Scotty

Don't forget the Hoffman if you are looking at 416's. I talked to a PH who did alot of elephant thinning and he preferred the Hoffman.

beretzs":hl9f28rx said:
What is the Hoffman Joel. 458WM necked down? Scotty

Scotty

The 416 Hoffman is based off the 375 H&H, necked up to 416 and the case blown out.

JD338

beretzs":pwoz87g5 said:
What is the Hoffman Joel. 458WM necked down? Scotty

I believe that a 458 Win necked down to 416 is a Taylor.

I have an Interarms MK X Mauser that I've toyed with getting rebarreled to .416 Taylor. I've never even mounted a scope on it (I know, you are all surprised at that!)

As far as the Hoffman, I have heard there is not a lick of difference between it and the Remington. You can fire one in the other, but not the other way around (and I don't know which is which).

BK":2kbl36nn said:
I have an Interarms MK X Mauser that I've toyed with getting rebarreled to .416 Taylor. I've never even mounted a scope on it (I know, you are all surprised at that!)

As far as the Hoffman, I have heard there is not a lick of difference between it and the Remington. You can fire one in the other, but not the other way around (and I don't know which is which).

You know I have a Parker Hale commercial '98 action that I'd thought the same thing about, but then the 416 Ruger was introduced which has the same case head, more capacity, basically the same COAL, and is a "legit" factory round w/ all the load data that comes along with it.

At this point I'm torn between the 375 & 416 Ruger cartridges for that action...

From my point of view, the problem w/ the 416 Rem is that for it to get to Rigby numbers you have to drive it to higher pressures. The Ruger gets you there w/out the wear and tear on cases.

Just my $.02 worth...

Yeah, when I was thinking about it, the .375 and .416 were not even a gleam in Ruger's eye. Heck, I don't even think the WSMs were out yet!

Oh I found this, which I thought worthwhile posting.

When I first got the rifle I didn't have sufficiently slow powders around, so I experimented w/ 117 gr Interlocks and H-4831SC. This is a group (3-shots in the red) that was pretty much par for the course w/ that combination, although the low-BC of the projectile and low velocities (3240 fps av for 8 shots) suggested I ought to go in a different direction for a longer range deer load. Even so, I'm sure it'd give me all I need for out to 500 yards or so:

257Roy117Int66grH4831SC06-2011.jpg

Based upon these groups, I'm hopeful for good ones w/ the 115 NBT, which has the second-highest BC of any .257 cal projectiles, second only to the 115 gr VLD.

I think you will like the 115gr BT, but man, you should keep your eye out for 110gr AB 2nds. I would think both of those would be pretty awesome in the 257WBY. I think Powerstroke here on the boards smoked a big cow this past fall with his Wby and 115gr BT's as well. Pretty awesome performance from what I can remember. Scotty

Back