257 stw

cottonman1973

Beginner
Nov 19, 2008
I have found a 257 stw built on a remington sendero. The gun was rebarreled by Hill country rifles. Any input on this gun

The 257 STW is a flat liner for sure. The down side is that it is grossly over bored so you won't get a lot of barrel life. If this is a used gun, look closely at the throat for erosion. If the bore is in good condition, you will have a great long range rifle. Depending on barrel length, I would think you should be able to push the 110 gr AB to 3600-3700 fps. Thats smokin' :lol:

JD338

I know when the guy had the gun built and it has had very few rounds thru it. He never could get the velocity he was after out of it. I was thinking I should be able to get as much out of out of a 115 BT in it as I used to get out of my 100 grains in my old 257 wby. I'm gonna call him and go look at it anyway, if it's cheap enough I'll probably buy it

I agree with JD on the topic of throat erosion but you should be able to get a decent amount of barrel life if you let your barrel cool between rounds.

Throat erosion would be a concern as noted. Interesting antlope/deer gun though. Shot sparingly it might give you a lifetime of use and a unique story maker. The trick might be shooting it "sparingly". :) If the price is right for you....why not? Any .25...but thats just me. CL

cottonman1973

Good luck with the rifle. Let us know if you bring her home.
We will try to help you out with some loads.

JD338

I would try ball powder in that thing, US 869 or surplus like WC 860 & wc868. According to the really overbore guys, that stuff works really well to keep things cooler. Downside being you need a long barrel and heavy bullets. I'd love to try a 257 STW, be alot of fun; however I would look at the performance of the 7mm STW and compare them :? I know, not nearly as cool.

If you don't get the dies they are 120 bucks. 7mm STW brass was $49/100 for Winchester brass on gunbroker last I seen. 7mm STW brass is also produced by Nosler.

CC.

I am jealous I always wanted one and just had to pass on a sendero 25.06 because I am to strapped for cash to build it right good luck I envy you

I'm gonna go get the gun tom. He told me to come get it and play with it for the rest of the hunting season and see how I like it. He said he is running 115 BT's around 3900. He's gonna throw the dies and some brass in with it if I buy it.

That's awesome i have the 7 stw and man does it shoot ,, I can't imagine it in 257 bore i have a 2506 and a 25wssm .1/4 bores shoot awesome and i never seen one that wasn't accurate as i have a 250-3000 and a 257 roberts also.good luck with it,, bet it's a keeper if not i'd be interested in it.

With my 257-300Wby I reached over 4,000 fps but accurate loads were 3850 - 3950fps. I predict the throat of your barrel will be gone by 400-600 rounds. Good luck but what I found was that the quarter bore needs to stay below 3800fps with 100gr bullets for any barrel life at all. Good luck and I hope I am so wrong about your barrel life. Please let us know the number of rounds and your accuracy also. How about some pictures of the rifle and targets for us to see, love it when people put pictures of there rifles and targets up.

When buyibng a rifle like that , like bullet said, do not expect a lot of life.

But Like Elmer Keith used to say.
Forget efficiency, it is performance we want!!!

The big maggies are definitely not efficient. They are for high performance.
The bigger case of the 257 STW burns quite a bit more powder than the 257 Weatherby case for a relatively small gain on velocity.
Kinda of like asking a NASCAR what his gas mileage is! :lol:

JD338

JD338":121cwx4u said:
Here is a good point of reference to read-
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/ ... ads-19313/

JD338

JD, that was a very good post on that thread . I burnt my barrel up in under 300 rounds and had a few rounds hit 4,000fps in the high end spread on groups with Retumbo compressed charges. I think after my experience I learned that the 257Wby is at the real practical end of the 25 cal. cartridge for all practical purposes when it comes to hunting and hunting rifles.

Of course after reading the article I am now wondering if I had use ball powder what the results would have been in consistent velocities and accuracy along with barrel life. Don't worry, even though I am wondering about it I am not in the mood to go through all that again. :lol:

Back