.257 weatherby for elk

I would go with the 120 gr PT in the 257 Wby Mag and go for broadside shots. I have read that the 100 gr PT has been used on elk and moose but I would opt for a larger caliber and heavier weight bullet.

JD338

Not a huge fan of 25 caliber for elk, however given your choices 120 Partition at 3300 fps would work nicely.

Amazingly enough, Roy Weatherby's favorite elk caliber was the .257WBY. It works good, as mentioned , for side shots to blow up the heart and lungs. Being the Ultra Bond fanatic I am thats what I would use. JD338 and the others are right in that if you have to take a raking or shoulder shot you might still be tracking when the elk dies of old age. .338RUMs are the answer to most elk problems. The .375RUM is the answer to ALL elk problems! :lol:

Them there elk are getting awfully tough, if a popgun .338 Win Mag isn't the solution anymore! Either that or they turned carniverous.

-jeff

You'll want penetration, the NP will work but if the TSX shoots well for you, I would go w/ it. Another good bullet would be the Swift. I don't want to have to wait for a broadside shot in timber to get my bull so I like bigger bullets for bigger holes in & out. The .280 W/ 160gr NP is my bull elk min. I prefer my .338-06 w/ the exc. 210grNP. :grin:

Yah best bet would be to go with a 115-120g Barnes, if they shoot worth a darn.

Next choice would be a 120g swift a-frame or nosler Partition.

Those will work for close and far shots, given the bullets put in the right spot, you'll have your elk relatively easy.

I thought I read some place that Mr. Weatherby went after elephants with that 257, just to prove it could be done.... :eek: CL

My first 4 elk were with the 257 Weatherby 120 NP. They have been the only elk I have shot that fell to their knees and then to ther side. At thirteen I was severly chastised by everyone on how it was too small of a caliber for elk. 30 plus elk later I have never had them fall as fast as they do with that little qtr bore and if I am not on a horse it is the one I take. If you watch Barnes free CD it shows the NP causing more disruption in the first 12 inches than the triple shock. No great solutions for the world but the 257 does work fine.

I'd use a 120 grain Partition or the new AccuBond. I've used 100 grain partitions before on elk in my .243 and had excellent penetration and expansion. good luck.

In my opinion a 25cal anything isn't a great choice for elk, especially if you get lucky and encounter a particularely large animal.

With that said, I'd opt for the 115 TSX or a similar bullet which retains nearly 100% of its weight. That wouldn't be a Partition in 25 cal. which often shed 40%-50%.

Just my 2 cents.

Back