.257 Weatherby Magnum - Load Data

TBASTIAN

Handloader
Jul 1, 2006
I just purchased a new Weatherby Mark V Fibermark chambered in .257 WBY MAG. I will be shooting the 110 grain AccuBond, and am looking for any specific load data you might have for this combo. I would like to use the following powders but would be open to others:
RL 19, RL 22, IMR 4350, H 4350 or IMR 4831.
Thanks for your help!
-TB

Looks like I will be needing to purchase some RL 25...Just picked up a pound of IMR 7828 today...Thanks for your help!
-TB

Spent the winter working up loads for the .257 WM. With the 100 grain BT, Retumbo was the ticket with 1/2" groups and 3625 FPS.

The 110 AB was equally as great with H4831SC and IMR 7828SSC. Both produced under 1/2"groups with velocity right at 3400 FPS.

Both RL22 and RL25 are great powder, however they are TOO erratic in cold weather. Both will lose 200+ FPS and the POI will move as much as 6"inches in unknown direction. You are over in the Valley and probably won't have a problem. I am over in Bend and hunt the east side and the temperatures get much colder.

I try to stick with Hodgdon Extreme powders for all of my shooting.

You will love the .257. It kills like lightning.

Jerry Lowery
Bend, Oregon

Jerry,
Thanks for your help! I also appreciate the information on RL 22 and 25. Even though I currently live in Corvallis, I was originally born and raised in Klamath Falls, and most of my hunting is done in the Desolation, Interstate and Beatys Butte units, so the cold is definitely a factor.
I'm hoping to use the .257 on Idaho whitetails in late November this year. We've been hunting a river drainage near Grangeville for a few years now, and some of the shots can be really stretched.
I just loaded the three suggested loads that Nosler offers for IMR 4350, and two from this forum using IMR 7828. Hopefully, I will have a winner amongst these five loads.
Again, thanks for your help.
-TB

Good luck to you. My pet load with the 110 AB is Norma brass, Fed 215 Mag primer with 71.0 grains IMR 7828SSC. One ragged hole with three shots at 100 yards and 3400 FPS. Start low and work up slowly. Primer will always be flat in this caliber. My overall length is 3.18"

Jerry

An extra bit of info for you. Sighted in at dead-on at 300 yards your round is +2.6 inches high at 100 yards and only drops to -21.3 at 500 yards. Still has about 1400 ft/lbs of energy at 500. Very flat and hard hitting

Jerry

I think the hype around the RL powders being any more sensitive to temperature swings is overated. It sure appears to get a lot of press, but there doesn't seem to be alot of hard, factual research to back it up. I think the RL powders get a bum rap because of lot to lot variation (which they are notorious for) resulting in the "temperature sensitive" tag.

My experience, though very limited has been that RL 25 didn't lose anything in my .257 Weatherby on loads fired in September, January or May...and in my part of the world the difference between September and January is pretty good...like 80's in September versus 15 degrees in January on the day I did the test. Both days the average was right at 3,525 fps.

Take if FWIW but in all of the research I have done, when it comes down to brass tacks, all powders are somewhat sensitive, and none are immune as temperatures increase above 70 degrees F, even the so called "extreme" powders by Hodgdon.

300winnie":2s4dbp3a said:
I think the hype around the RL powders being any more sensitive to temperature swings is overated. It sure appears to get a lot of press, but there doesn't seem to be alot of hard, factual research to back it up. I think the RL powders get a bum rap because of lot to lot variation (which they are notorious for) resulting in the "temperature sensitive" tag.

My experience, though very limited has been that RL 25 didn't lose anything in my .257 Weatherby on loads fired in September, January or May...and in my part of the world the difference between September and January is pretty good...like 80's in September versus 15 degrees in January on the day I did the test. Both days the average was right at 3,525 fps.

Take if FWIW but in all of the research I have done, when it comes down to brass tacks, all powders are somewhat sensitive, and none are immune as temperatures increase above 70 degrees F, even the so called "extreme" powders by Hodgdon.

Not to take this posting too off course,but I would have to disagree with you about the "RL" powders not being sensitive to temperature changes.While living in Alaska i experimented with these powders in a 300 RUM,338 WM and a few others.While shooting during the winter they would be very erratic,but the same loads would be MOA during the summertime.I dont know if it has to do with the long,cold winters we faced,or the powder getting cold sitting out in my garage or what.But if I loaded 20 rounds,10 would shoot great during the summer,the other 10 would be 5-6" off in the winter (and not consistent).Just my 2 cents.....

Tim

RemmyTim,

Out of curiousity, which RL powders were you working with?

I have played with RL15, RL22 and RL25.

Thanks

I was able to get out to the range today and shoot a few loads out of my .257 WBY...WOW! After shooting a Ruger No. 1 in .25-06 for a couple of years I was very impressed with the difference in velocity and accuracy. This gun/caliber combination is a lot less finicky than the Ruger No. 1 had been.
I sited the rifle in with Weatheryby factory ammo using the 110 grain AccuBond. This group ended up grouping just over 3/4" at 100 yards.
After trying the factory load, I was anxious to try my handloads. I had 5 different loads, using Nosler published data for IMR 4350 and suggested loads from IMR and this forum for IMR 7828. Two of the loads weren't very impressive with 3 shot groups over 2", the other 3 loads were all under 1.5", with one of them shooting just over 3/4".
I was definitely excited about the factory and reload that shot around 3/4", especially since I haven't properly broke-in the barrel yet.
I am looking forward to trying this out on our Oregon blacktails, and Idaho whitetails this fall. I have definitely become a fan of the .257 WBY Magnum!
-TB

TBASTIAN

Sounds like your 257 Wby is a shooter. The 110 gr AB should be an awesome bullet for deer hunting.
There is a nice write up on the AB in Africa, including the 110 gr in the 257 Wby at the following link.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/accubonds.html
Keep up posted on your range results.

JD338

Went to the range today with a friend and his .257 WBY. We loaded 4- 5 shot test loads all with 215M primers, Wby brass and 110 Accubonds, powder was 7828 IMR 67 - 72 grains. Had trouble with all loads, any suggestions?

Kimberdude,

Don't feel bad. I couldn't get 110 accubonds to group worthy of a shotgun with IMR 7828, but it is the cats azz with the 115 grain Ballistic Silvertip in the same rifle...go figure. I know people squawk a lot about temperature sensitivity in the RL series of powders, but I suggest you give RL25 a whirl with those 110's. I did, and haven't regretted it one bit.

After visiting Shooter's Pro-Shop earlier this week, and picking up some 115 grain Partitions, I headed for the range this morning with three new loads to try in the .257 WBY. One of them proved to be a keeper, and will most likely be my hunting load for this season. The load used 67.0 grains of IMR 7828, at right around 3,350 FPS, and the OAL was 3.175". At 100 yards the three shot group measured 0.90". The third shot was a bit of "flyer", as the barrel heated up, but still maintained a grouping under an inch. Thanks to the folks at Shooter's Pro-Shop for the advice, and to Nosler for such an accurate and reliable product!
-TB

Back