260 gr Accubond Accuracy w/375 Ruger

victorc

Beginner
Jul 2, 2006
I recently had a new Lilja barrel installed on a Winchester Model 70 action chambered for the 375 Ruger cartridge. The barrel is finished at 22". I started with the 260 grain AccuBond bullet because I was hoping to shoot somewhere around MOA out to 300 yards. I figured if any 375 bullet could do it it would be the AccuBond. Regardless of powder and charge used I haven't achieved a group under 3 inches at 200 yards from a bench, most powders shoot between 4 to 8 inch groups at 200 yards. Not impressive. The 3 inch group was achieved using a Winchester LRM primer, 79.0 grains of Win 760 powder, and a COAL of 3.325". Temperature was 70 degrees, give or take 3 degrees. Elevation was 4,950 ft. Is this to be expected with this cartridge All muzzle velocities average close to 2,750 fps. Any suggestions on improving groups, or is this what to expect with with cartridge?

The rifle is glass bedded in a Bell and Carlson stock with the Aluminum bedding block. The Timney trigger is set to 2.5 lbs.

Have you tried other bullets yet? Your gun may not like the 260 gr AB. It is possible there may be an issue with the scope or gun but trying a different bullet may be a good thing to try first. I would look at the 250 gr Sierra or 250 gr TTSX or maybe a 270 gr Hornady Spire Point and see what they do. The Ruger I used to own was very accurate with either of the AccuBond's so I know they are capable of excellent accuracy but of course each gun has it's own preferences.

Not yet. That comes tomorrow morning when I try the 270 grain Hornady Spire Points.

Interesting. The 260 gr AccuBond has proven very accurate from my .375 H&H.

Perhaps try a heavier bullet? The 300 gr Sierra SPBT also shoots very well from my rifle.

Best of luck!

Guy

I had great luck with my 375R and the 260 AB with Ramshot Big Game, H100v, and IMR 4895.

The H100V wasn't the fastest thing in the world at 2730 fps, but it shot and honest .3" group.

Well you're at Nosler's max w/ 760. I haven't played with any .375 cal ABs but a buddy uses them almost exclusively in his 375 Ruger with excellent results. The ABs I have played with generally like a bit of a jump to the rifling. (You are .005" longer than Nosler's OAL) Don't know how tight your chamber/throat is. How far off the lands are you? As stated your rifle may just not like the AccuBond. I would try the 250gr Sierras and if it still doesn't group, something is wrong.

Went out this morning with a new load consisting of 83.0 gr of H4350 and a 270 gr Hornady Spire Point. After the third shot I was having a religious experience. All shots stayed within 1.5" at 200 yards from a bench with a temperature of 70 degrees. Muzzle velocity averaged out to be 2,796 fps. I'm a bit let down I couldn't get the 260 Accubonds to shoot because I wanted to use a boat tail bonded bullet. But, at least I have a bullet my rifle likes to shoot. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Good you have a load that works, 1.5" at 200 yards is pretty good. It is odd that the 260 gr AB didn't shoot, I know it likes to be seated deep but I'm not sure if you could improve on the kind of groups you were getting. Good thing is there are a lot of good 375 cal bullets to choose from.

I just returned from my hunt in South Africa with Wild Wildebeest Safaris where I shot 5 plains game animals: Gemsbok @ 75 yards, Kudu @ 310 yards, Impala @ 122 yards, Sable @ 50 yards, and Warthog @ 147 yards. All animals shot with my .375 Ruger launching 270 grain Hornady Interlock bullets... all one shot kills. The Kudu was the only animal that dropped in it's tracks after being shot. The others didn't go any further than 150 yards. The only bullets recovered were from the Gemsbok and the Warthog where both bullets were lodged in the opposite shoulder. The sable was shot face-on in the chest but we couldn't locate the bullet. All others were complete pass throughs. The bullet recovered from the Gemsbok maintained 69% of it's original weight at 185 grains, and the bullet recovered from the Warthog maintained 67% of it's original weight at 181 grains. Needless to say I am very pleased with both the .375 Ruger cartridge and the Hornady bullets.

My good friend and his son were both shooting 7mm Remington Mags using 168 grain Berger VLD Hunting bullets from HSM. They struggled a bit with shot placement. However, those bullets placed in the boiler room worked outstandingly well and the animals were recovered within a short distance.

I know it's a bit late but I was able to shoot surprisingly small groups from my 375 Ruger with the 260 Partition at 300 yds. Both RE15 & RE 17 grouped well. Not a boattail but a hunting bullet that's hard to beat.

Congrats on what sounds like a fun and awesome hunt. Hornady bullets have always done well by me and IMO they are the best non premium bullets around.

Congratulations on what appears to be a very successful hunt. Perhaps we will see some pictures and an account of the hunt in the Africa forum? I'd love to see your animals.

Please direct me to instructions on how to post pics and I will do so. Thank you.

victorc":1yoe9qvx said:
Please direct me to instructions on how to post pics and I will do so. Thank you.

Glad to help.

http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10797

The thread is self-explanatory. Should you, however, run into trouble, I'm sure about any of the regular posters here will be glad to help. You can always feel free to forward your pictures as an attachment in an Email to me and I'll be glad to post them for you. However, the process is straight forward.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Congratulations on a successful hunt.

One can't talk about a .375 anything without conjuring up dreams of Africa.

BTW, what was happening that your friends were having trouble with shot placement?

On a side note, a friend of mine shoots a .378 Weatherby, and it doesn't like boat tail bullets. It prefers a flat base bullet, a Hornady one, but I don't recall which. It might be the same 270 grain bullet that you're using.

Sent from the edge of my galaxy

Congrats on a great hunt! Now you are back in Barnes Country ( :)) you are ready to work up a load with the 250 TTSX! It should be as long as the Hornady 270 and work even better. I liked the older 270X in both the H&H and 375 Weatherby. I used the 300 Sierra BT and it was way too soft on elk, blew big holes out the other side! Don't you just love those doves cooing every AM in South Africa?

Back