.260 Rem vs. 6.5 Creedmoor

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Fellas -

It has been a while since I was able to do a substantial amount of posting on here due to a move, work etc. But in the time since, my wife has tried like the dickens to learn to shoot a .308 I bought her back in December and regretfully even with reduced loads she finds it unpleasant to shoot.

I borrowed a .260 from a local friend and last Sunday at the range she shot the lights out of everything she pointed it at. We were shooting the Federal Fusion 120 grain Factory loads (2950 fps mv) as there was no time to whip up some handloads. She didn't miss one time, I wish I could've said the same about her marksmanship with the .308.

The problem I am seeing is .260 rifles in sporter configuration are somewhat difficult to find. Would I be better off getting her a Creedmoor? They are practically the same thing ballistically, in a pinch .260 cases could be made from .243, 7mm-08, .308 etc. brass, that appeals to me. Factory ammo is more plentiful in 6.5 Creedmoor as well as more economically priced. That isn't as big of an issue since I am a dedicated handloader. Maybe I should consider the 6.5 Swede as well? Looking for something on the order of a basic Rem 700 or Savage 110 with a 22" bbl that she would be able to easier lug over hill and dale.

Any advice you might have is appreciated.

Thanks -

Dale

I have both a 260 Rem and a 6.5 Creedmoor. Either will serve the smaller frame very well. My grandson appropriated (or perhaps misappropriated) my 260 Rem. He shoots it quite well. Buy a box of 100 Lapua 260 cases or a box of 100 Norma 6.5 Creedmoor cases and they will last a lifetime. Load either with a good premium bullet, and the cartridge will handle about any game you hunt within reason. Consequently, nothing wrong with the Swede. It is right in there ballistically. Especially since you hand load, perhaps loading 125 grain BT or AB in the .308 would accomplish the same thing as changing the cartridge? Just a thought!

They are the same thing essentially. 6.5 Creedmoor brass is easy to find and several manufacturers make rifles chambered for it. I have two and really enjoy the cartridge.

I started my wife out with a 260 simply for the lower recoil along with great accuracy. She killed her first deer with it and I bought her a Remington Model 7 youth model in 260 so she could have her own rifle to fit her(and I could have my 700 back :lol: ).

I loaded 120 BT's over Varget and she's killed numerous deer with that rifle/ammo combo.

I don't have any experience with the Creedmore, but based on input from other forum members I wouldn't be afraid of it if I found the best deal on a rifle in that caliber that she liked.

Ron

euro optics is having a sale on tikka rifles , I'm not sure how good the prices are . I looked there are a few 260's and also a few 6.5x55's , I didn't see any 6.5 creeds listed . here is a link if you want to look . I have a tikka 595 whitetail hunter , I really like the rifle .

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-rifles.aspx

on the other hand I did some reduced recoil loads for a young girl , with a 308 , a few years ago . I used a 125 gr ballistic tip bullet with IMR4198 powder , 25.0 gr min (1969 fps) - 29.0 max (2185 fps) . these loads are very very light recoil . this info is from the # 13 speer manual . if I remember right the next step up in velocity would be by using the 60% reduced load info for H4895 powder . by using H4895 you can walk right up to full loads . if you try this IMR powder play with seating depth , it really brought this rifle to life . the ammo looked silly the bullet was seated so deep , but the proof is on the target .

this young girl shot it without problems . I made a scope adjustment between the two groups .

she put a hurtin on a used deer target . the third shot is about 1/2 inch lower and right on the black line .

Thank you all for sharing!

It's funny she just told me today that she wants to give the .308 another try. I have been using 125 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter with minimum charges for her to practice with. These have a very gentle nudge but she claimed it was too much. We will try it again, who can predict the outcome when you have the power of a positive attitude!?! We will let you all know what we end up doing!

Thanks again -

Dale

I have both the 260 and the 6.5 Creedmoor (just brought home my new 6.5: rebarrelled a Browning X-Bolt with a 24" Benchmark Bbl w / 1 in 8 twist and 5R rifling, and cannot wait to get a scope mounted on it and break it in!). Both cartridges are a pleasure to shoot, and while I have not yet harvested game with these cartridges, I have taken several big game species with the 6.5 Swede and these two will perform equally well!

I started my wife with the 7mm-08 and 140 gr hunting loads and she was not fond of the recoil of her Steyr Mountain Classic until we replaced the factory recoil pad with a Limbsaver pad.

You may want to look at replacing the recoil pad on the 308 for a softer one. A stock with the proper length of pull may also solve her felt recoil issues.

Tikka and Sako come in both the 260 and 6.5 Swede, while Remington, Ruger and Savage offer the 6.5 Creedmoor. Let your wife handle the various rifles and determine which feels best to her. If possible, see if other members at your local club have these or similar rifles that she can try. Investing in a few boxes of ammo first can be less expensive than buying a rifle that she isn't happy with and having to repeat the process until you get it right. Food for thought...

I have no experience with the creedmoore but quite a bit with the .260. I started my daughter out at age 8 with a .243 then quickly moved her up to a Model 7 .260 at age 9. She used that rifle for 5-6yrs and shot it very well and harvested some nice deer with it. I purchased her a Rem 700 SPS about 2yrs ago in .260 and that's what she shoots now. She's never had any problems with the recoil of the .260 and she shoots it on a regular basis. The model 7 and the 700 SPS seems to be available around here as I've seen a couple on the shelves locally.

Your wife may end up sticking with the .308 the more she shoots it. There's a couple ladies around here that shoot reduced loads in the .308 and seem to be doing well with it. It's good to see the ladies shooting, hunting and enjoying the sport.

I have owned both and still own the creedmoor. Both are mild shooter and deadly on game. I had great luck with both of them in accuracy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filmjunkie4ever":2bvifm4j said:
Thank you all for sharing!

It's funny she just told me today that she wants to give the .308 another try. I have been using 125 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter with minimum charges for her to practice with. These have a very gentle nudge but she claimed it was too much. We will try it again, who can predict the outcome when you have the power of a positive attitude!?! We will let you all know what we end up doing!

Thanks again -

Dale

Those starting 125 PH and Nosler BT 308 loads are a joy to shoot and I have found them to be quite accurate too. I really don't see how a 125 gr 308 load would kick more or less than a 120 gr. 260 or 6.5 creedmore load. If she is having trouble with the 308, perhaps try a different recoil pad like a limbsaver. Or maybe have her shoot at the range with a PAST (I think someone else makes them now) strap on shoulder pad. Recoil from a bench is just plain different than recoil hunting in the field. We all know she won't even notice the recoil during a hunt, but you got to get there first. Good luck with which ever way works and gets her in the field.

rifle fit has a lot to do with felt recoil . I've noticed while working with new shooters that the " BANG " sound is just as bad as the kick . have her wear ear plugs, and muffs, to see if this helps .

quickload has a recoil calculator if you want some numbers run . I'd need your load ,and rifle total weight .I've done it this way a few times to make reduced loads for people .

...I've long been a proponent of muzzle blast & poor position being the culprit in "felt recoil" (& "scope eye"), more than the actual recoil, itself. Ear protection, even double, a good cheek weld, & your body position from the bench should be al most the same as your offhand position, upright & leaned slightly forward, not scrunched & bunched...

...if she has to lift her head from the stock to get a sight picture a cheek pad might help, & an X-bag, like the Buck's Bag, absorbs & reduces a lot of recoil, & they're a lot easier to shoot from...

There really isn't any practical differences between the two chamberings for your stated purposes. The Creedmoor is rapidly gaing traction. Ammo and rifle makers are expanding their offerings. It has risen out of obscurity while the 260 seems to be gradually fading. If I were in your position I'd get a Savage package gun in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Nikon scope that they come with is pretty darned good. The price on the package can't be beat.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... HYHUNTERXP

Back