264 win mag powder?

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
I know from talking with Scotty RL-25 is a go getter with a 140 AccuBond. What other powders are you 264 guys running?

What about H870? I know it's been discontinued but prior to that a friend bought a case or two and to my knowledge he never used it or very little if he did.

I use WC872. It's a military ball powder used to load 50 BMG and 20mm Vulcan ammo.
I got it from Weidner's for $49.00 an 8 lb keg.
Use H870 data with it.
Not the cleanest burning stuff but I'm running 130 Accubonds at 3350 with an E.S. of 9
130 Bergers were going 3400

Retumbo and RL33 would be a couple of powders to take a look at.

JD338

I had the best success with Retumbo, Magnum and US 869 seemed decent too.

Well I got lots of Retumbo to try. Just today I bought a new Model 70 sporter, 100, 140 accubonds and now it's a waiting game til they arrive.

Retumbo worked real decent with 130's and 140 PTs as well. It was a little "spikey" on me. 7828 isn't horrible either. RL33 should be real good though. I've got some of the new RL26 to try out when I'm out of 25. Figure it should be good as well. You should have fun with it.

If I can get some range time I'll keep working on the 142's and RL 33 as well as 7828. If I can't find anything that works there, I'll start with some of the 'recovered' powder from Weidners etc.

right now I have a node/decent group at 70 gr of RL-33 but haven't had a chance to shoot up to 76 gr. Speed on the 70 gr was only 2860 or so.

Bbear":1zhh1v1r said:
If I can get some range time I'll keep working on the 142's and RL 33 as well as 7828. If I can't find anything that works there, I'll start with some of the 'recovered' powder from Weidners etc.

right now I have a node/decent group at 70 gr of RL-33 but haven't had a chance to shoot up to 76 gr. Speed on the 70 gr was only 2860 or so.

I'll be looking forward to your finds.

I've used H4831 with Sierra 125 grain bullets with some success on deer and antelope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had exhilarating results with both R26/160 and R33/175 in my 7mm Rem Mag. I'm not sure how they would do behind a 264WM/140, but they would be my top choice "unless" I had some Retumbo. I've never had any magnum cartridge that didn't like Retumbo. Good luck to you Pard.

preacher":3hjedyph said:
I have had exhilarating results with both R26/160 and R33/175 in my 7mm Rem Mag. I'm not sure how they would do behind a 264WM/140, but they would be my top choice "unless" I had some Retumbo. I've never had any magnum cartridge that didn't like Retumbo. Good luck to you Pard.

Thank you Sir. I have 8 lbs of retumbo and intend on trying some that's for sure. Thanks to Dr.Mike for the QL, N570 and RL33 just seem to be 2 powders I need to try along with Retumbo.

I got some time to gather the powders I don't have but want to try. The rifle is due to arrive today, bases and dies to arrive tomorrow.

Bill, I'm sure enjoying the Vhita Vuori powders. If they are available to you, they seem to provide great performance for me in a variety of cartridges. N570 has proven itself for me in a variety of overbore cartridges.

DrMike":3ssafjgw said:
Bill, I'm sure enjoying the Vhita Vuori powders. If they are available to you, they seem to provide great performance for me in a variety of cartridges. N570 has proven itself for me in a variety of overbore cartridges.

I have used V.V. powders in the past and really liked what I saw. But like most other things reloading wise it's hit or most when I can get my hands on some, depending on what I'm after. N570 seems like a tough one to find right now.

Bbear":hvfn2pz0 said:

Finally got some time to try out the 7828 in the 264 with the 142's. Shot a ladder at 300 yards. Though the 'general' group was about 4" I got NO nodes showing in the test.

I didn't get a chance to run the RL33 loads across the chrony. Maybe this weekend. Or next or the next...

Back