264 win mag sticking cases

ck30943

Beginner
Jan 12, 2009
i bought my son a remington 700 cdl ss 264win mag. ordered 4 boxes of nosler 120gr ammo from midway usa.put scope and gun together and went to sight in.. shot only 4 rounds.. fired case sticks..? live round chambers fine. bolt is as smooth as can be.. bolt falls open without round. Question.. the ballistics on the box say 3250fps..and if you look in the ballistic page under reloading i don't see a 120gr ballistic tip doing those numbers..checked the case for marks and none... looks to have a little swelling in front of the belt... no cracks or powder marks on throat or around primer pocket.. any info would be welcomed..

When you say sticking cases. How hard is it to eject the round? It is possible that you have a high spot in the chamber but would need more info from you.

What does the brass look like around the primer, do you see signs of to much pressure on the brass anywhere?

I ran my 120 bts at 3400 fps with rl25.

I , like Bullet do not understand your problem.....

also give us a link to the ammo.

the case was a good hand bump to open the bolt.. if you were shooting you would have to pull the gun down from shooting position to chamber new round.. ammo was bought from midway usa nosler custom ammo 264 win mag 120gr ballistic tips .. no marks on the case around primer pocket or mouth of neck... looks to have little swelling in front of the belt...

Try some different ammo to see if is an ammo or a chamber issue.

that was my next choice.. i new some of you hot rod guys ran the numbers up some on the 264 ... thanks for the advice... i'll let ya'll know what the out come is..

ck30943

Welcome to the forum.
As suggested, run some different factory ammo through your rifle.
Let us know what your results are.

JD338

I'm interested as well to hear your findings.

I'm having a hard time believing this, but I have heard ( no credible sources ) that Remington no longer test fires their guns before leaving the factory.... ?? Anyone ??

As POP stated.... try some different ammo.....

If there is no marks representing pressure on your brass and you fire other factory ammo and it still has that sticky feeling then for sure you have a chamber problem. What happens in the chambering process a slight high spot is just cut in the chamber, nothing the eye could notice but the expanded brass will fill the high spot and cause you ejection problems. Using an other brand of ammo will let us know. Please, as the other guys have asked, let us know your findings.

Uh, this may be a stupid question, but are your locking lugs completely dry? They may be hanging up just a bit after setback from firing.

Powerstroke":3ghct5ms said:

I'm having a hard time believing this, but I have heard ( no credible sources ) that Remington no longer test fires their guns before leaving the factory.... ?? Anyone ??

Their quality control has gone to trash! My 300 rum LSS barrel was NOT round on the bottom part but flat for 6" ...... How's that for QC?

POP":1vqfd573 said:
Powerstroke":1vqfd573 said:

Their quality control has gone to trash! My 300 rum LSS barrel was NOT round on the bottom part but flat for 6" ...... How's that for QC?

Pop, can you post a pic of that flat barrel?
What part of the bottom of the barrel. Muzzle area?

POP....

Nice !!!!! How could one sleep at night knowing "HE / SHE" assembled that and actually pushed it out the door for sale. Where has taking a little "PRIDE" in your work "ETHIC" gone ??
I put a nice little note in the warrany regristration card when I sent it in :shock:

I bleed Remington Green.... I have 13 of them in my safe, 2 Savages one doesn't count, never shot it old hand me down and the second is my kids Cub T and one Sako.
Shot of any customs in the future any shelf purchased ones will probably be in the Tikka / Sako line.

POP":f4u7z13c said:
Powerstroke":f4u7z13c said:

Pop,

I remember that. Shot all over the paper too.

JD338

Back