264 win mag vs 7mm mag

laker

Beginner
Jun 25, 2006
which do you think would make a dedicated antelope and mule deer rifle? I wouldnt be using it for elk. Why would you choose the one over the other.

I have had rifles in both cartridges for a long time. My 264 is a Westerner with the 26" long heavy barrel. Its a superb stand gun but heavy for all day handling.

A 7mm mag can get by with a 24" tube in my view. The 7mm has more bullet choices. Get what you want and make it work.

Of the two you mentioned, I would pick the 264 Win Mag.
If it were me, I would look long and hard at the 7mm RUM. :wink:

JD338

A buddy of mine has used a .264 Win mag for his only hunting rifle for about 30 years now; primarily elk and mule deer. It works just fine.

I had a 7mm Rem mag for a number of years and used it on coyotes, mule deer and elk. It too worked just fine. I liked the ability of the 7mm to handle the long 175 grain bullets, but either cartridge works. I think you'll find 7mm Rem mag ammo and components are more readily available as it is such a popular cartridge.

Laker..............Six, one half dozen, or the other!!

For mule deer & antelope, I can`t see how one would have any real advantage over the other.

Just for some fun and to compare the downrange #`s between the two, find an external ballistics table like the one on the Hornady site. Type in some bullet BC`s, weights, yardage zeros, etc. That will give you a very good idea how they compare in downrange velocity, energy and trajectories at the various distances.

Both will certainly have enough downrange energy and velocity, so I`d take a look at the differences in the trajectory and go from there.

I have head plenty of rifles in both cals.

My goat loads were 120 BTs at 3400 fps with RL25 in the 264.

120 BTs at 3500 fps from the 7mm rem mag.

Toss a coin or go with your favorite on this one.

I would lean toward the 7mm as it is more common. Easier to find brass etc. I would go with 120 grain Nos BT at about 3550 and have fun. Guaranteed success if you could get a good group. The 264 is a great gun also. Toss the coin!

Well, I favor the 264 because I'm sentimental, it's got mean sectional density with most bullet weights, good BC's and it's not run of the mill or common. That having been said, I had a Sako 75 in 7mm Rem and it was a fine rifle in those areas also. LOL, flip a coin or buy both :grin: I wouldn't recommend the 264 with a 24" barrel or without handloads.

CC.

I have owned both and hands down like the .264 better. I have a V-Tac on my .264. Using 120gr ballistic tips no deer within 700 yards is safe and using 130gr accubonds I will eventualy have it calibrated for 800 yard shots. Mine has a 1:8 twist. Sighting in +3.5" high at 100 yards the second stadia down is dead on at 560 yards. Loaded the same way the 7 mag is so much lower it is off the body of a deer with the same sight hold. If your not planning on shooting past 500 yards the 7mag will stay pretty close to the same trajectory. After 500 no contest. reflex264

PS-I am a professional crop sniper. My numbers come from actual shots on deer and deer cut out targets.

Back