264 Win mag Vs 7mm rem mag

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
We all have our favorites.

Which is yours and why? :wink:

My fav is the 270Wby. Better than either of these!

If forced to choose between just these two, I'd likely take the 7mm, if only because I like the idea of being able to push a 160gr bullet at 3000fps.

I'd favour the 7RM because of better bullet selection. I'd hate to be without one in my safe.

I fell hard for the long & lethal 175's at about 2900 fps from the 7mm Rem mag.

The high BC 6.5s are cool and have gained a following among the long-range crowd. For a hunting rifle, I think the 7 has an edge in both game taking ability and in bullet selection.

If powder capacity is roughly equal, the smaller bore will see somewhat more/faster throat erosion as the rounds accumulate. I seem to remember early gun writers discussing throat erosion as a factor with the 264. But then, all mags see it to one degree or another, though not many mag owners ever shoot enough to worry about it. BT

Over the long haul, meaning many, many shots being fired, the 7 will survive . Where the .264 could show some wear and tear.

But no matter, I still like the 264, as my largest (2) antelope fell to the old Westerner caliber :wink: , and the fine 125 gr Nosler Partition bullet and a case full of H870.

I guess it would depend on what you are going to use it for.

For all around general purpose, the 7mm Rem Mag would be my pick. Good bullet selection and decent BC cover the hunting needs from mice to moose.

For a dedicated long range deer/antelope rig, I would go with the 264 Win Mag. A 140 gr AB/BT has a good BC and a pretty flat trajectory.

JD338

Kodiak":2xl4i7zz said:
But no matter, I still like the 264, as my largest (2) antelope fell to the old Westerner caliber :wink: , and the fine 125 gr Nosler Partition bullet and a case full of H870.

Mine too but loaded with reloder 25

A certain WY antelope guide/outfitter I know used to have M700 Sendero II 264 Win Mag. :wink:
I would have loved to have bought that from him a few years ago.

JD338

I am sure somewhere deep in him he still misses it......

.257 Weatherby...

Of the two, the 7 is certainly more useful, but I never really liked it, while the .264 does have panache...

I have one of each.
From a practical stand point the 7 probably gets the nod as there are more bullet weights available.

Since I also have a pair of 280s and 7STW I'll keep the 264.

Too hard to pick to be honest. The 7 Rem Mag was my first real big game rifle and took a bunch of deer, a moose, caribou and a bear. It does alot of things well.

My Model 70 264 Win Mag is just an insanely accurate factory rifle with RL25 and 140 BT's and AB's at 3200.

Since I have a 7mm WSM, I will pick the 264 Win Mag...........

dubyam":9zwadwoa said:
My fav is the 270Wby. Better than either of these!

If forced to choose between just these two, I'd likely take the 7mm, if only because I like the idea of being able to push a 160gr bullet at 3000fps.

Me too takes the .270Wea. 180grain Woodleigh PP @ 3000 Ft/sec or a 150grain Nosler Par @ 3280 F7/sec. It outbangs both the .264 & 7mmRem mag. I have seen however 175grainbullets in the 7mm Rem Mag loaded up surpassing the 3000 Ft/sec mark.
I would pick the 7mm Rem mag. if I should make a choice between the .264Win and Seven Mag.

I pick the 264 Win mag hands down for my use. I white tail deer hunt. I have killed deer with about everything from a stick up to a 45-70. My stent with a 7mm Rem mag was my worst. I was crop damage controlling at the time and bought this SUPPER ACCURATE Rem 700 stainless 7mm mag. First deer I shot with it probably is the prettiest shot I have ever made on a deer. 300 of my long legged paces down a power line cut OFF HANDED. Perfect bullet placement in the center of a bucks shoulder broadside with a 139 gr Hornady interlock. I knew my yardage from prior stepping off between the power poles. I had my rifle sighted in 3" high at 100 yards and it was dead on at 300. I expected to see the deer drop in it's tracks. Instead it took off running into the woods like it was not touched. I went to where it entered the woods and could not find any blood trail at all. The woods were very thick with green brier etc. There was a deer path where he went in so I got down on my hands and knees and crawled down this path all the time looking for the slightest speck of blood. I crawled right at 75 yards and found the deer laying in the path dead. Over the next 10 deer shot using different bullets, (experimenting) 145 Speer, 150 Sierra, 160 Sierra, 154 Hornady interlock all but one shot going in or coming out a shoulder only 1 dropped in it's tracks and it was with the 145 Speer and it went a little too high in the shoulder and cut the spine and ruined 1/2 the back strap. All the others ran between 50 and 100 yards but did have some blood to follow. I did most of my hunting in the last 2 hrs of light in the evenings. I told people that I could not carry enough flashlight batteries to hunt with that 7 mag because you had to trail them up i that thinck NC jungle. I can't explain it but my hunting buddy had the same experience with the 7 mag. When I got my 264 mag 4 years ago I worked up a very accurate load with Retumbo 66.5 grs with the 130 Nosler AccuBond in WW cases with CCI 250 primers that does 3350 fps from the 27 3/4" Shilen barrel. 7 deer shot so far 6 were bang flop and the other spun around and took one jump and hit the ground dead. I like to find them where I shoot them.

My first bolt action centerfire rifle was a 7mm Rem Mag (Husqvarna) and I have always owned a 7mm Rem Mag since. Presently, I have a Mauser sporter custom rifle in 7mm Rem Mag. At the time that I bought this Husqvarna, it was nearly impossible to buy a .264 Pre 64 Winchester. They were the only .264 chambering in 1963 and were 22 inch barrels which did not interest me for a .264 platform.

When the 264 came out I thought is was a great idea. I then bought a 7mm mag and never thought about a 264 again. A great caliber, but just a little lite for my needs. Over my lifetime I have owned 7 or 8 different 7mm's, still have a couple.

I went back and forth between the 2 for years. Then I found this and never looked back.

HJZdJ.jpg

Sako 75 Deluxe 7mm RUM.

160's at 3300 fps.

Back