264 Win mag Vs 7mm rem mag

jtoews80":1eoa63ek said:
I don't see a 264 being an all around gun, but for long distance, medium sized deer or a coyote you are particularly intent on taking, it is really in its element.

That is where she shines!

I just shot mine today.. Put a 2-10 Minox on it, took a couple shots at 25 yards to make sure it was on paper. Made some adjustments, took it to 200.. Put two shots 1/2" apart, on the money... I love my 264..

Scottie you got a good one for sure!

It does NOT matter. They're not all that much different if you put the bullet where it needs to be.

The rifle you have in the field is what matters. Put in some work (if it can be called work) before the season and find out what loads or what factory ammo shoots best for the rifle you're going to use. A 243 Win will kill a mule deer if you put the bullet in the right spot. A 300 Ultra Mag will kill one, too, and you can handle the recoil AND make the accurate shot then you can use it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Horsethief":2s0afg0m said:
It does NOT matter. They're not all that much different if you put the bullet where it needs to be.

The rifle you have in the field is what matters. Put in some work (if it can be called work) before the season and find out what loads or what factory ammo shoots best for the rifle you're going to use. A 243 Win will kill a mule deer if you put the bullet in the right spot. A 300 Ultra Mag will kill one, too, and you can handle the recoil AND make the accurate shot then you can use it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

OK.... Something Vexes thee? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Either chambering will work for nearly all North American and African plains game, in my opinion. Pick one, and then do some range work to find out what bullet weight / type works best in the rifle at the range you expect you'll need to make your money shot.

Sectional density of a 130gn TSX for a .264 Win Mag is .366, same as the the 150gn TSX in a 7mm Mag.
Muzzle Velocity: a .264 gets from 3050fps to 3220fps
a 7mm mag does 2950 to 3000fps

At 300 yards their speeds are:
2500fps for the .264
2395fps for the 7mm (but lets express up to 2400)

So with equal sectional density and 300 yard velocity only 100fps apart, the real difference is in the ballistic coefficient and the ft lbs of energy. The 7mm bullet is better at both, but one being better than the other is not something that means the "lesser bullet" is not also up to the job, in this particular case. It comes down to the nut behind the rifle. And I would use either one, no questions asked.

I happen to be a 7mm Mag guy but I started out that way 50 years ago this year. However, I would not throw away a .264 if I had one in preference to a 7mm Mag. They are sixes!

I gotta agree w/ Dr. Mike a 7mm Rem Mag has the better all-around bullet selection and therefore gets the nod but there is the cool abstract factor of the 264 Win Mag. I suppose if it was deer and sheep only I would take the 264. But where I am and what I hunt would necessitate the greater versatility of the 7mm Rem Mag and it therefore would be my choice of these two cartridges. Bar none.

(Would rather have my 30-06 or 300 WSM to either any day of the week but hey i can play along!) ;)

filmjunkie4ever":35p0ccdq said:
(Would rather have my 30-06 or 300 WSM to either any day of the week but hey i can play along!) ;)

But that's so... so... so.... pedestrian!

Hey man, when did you move to spud country?

The .270wea should put the .264Win and 7mmRem in the unemploymentline
by monday. Maybe they should call their friend .300winmag too to acompany them 8)

2600 ft/sec @ 300 yards with a 150grain Nosler Par. Heavy bullets for the
7mm should favor that caliber some say?. But what about a Woodleigh of 180grain
for the .277cal doing 3000 ft/sec. What more does one want?.

I do not know what you are smoking but 3000 fps for the Woodleigh bullet in a .270 WSM??????????????????

Oldtrader3":1p57pcv2 said:
I do not know what you are smoking but 3000 fps for the Woodleigh bullet in a .270 WSM??????????????????

The "Bee" please. :wink:

Here is the load: 69,3grain Norma MRP...oal 83,4mm..Norma brass..Fed 215 primer

Barrel Lilja 27". Rifle..pre win 64.

In theory the new nosler LRAB , a .277cal with a BC of .612 leaving the muzzle with 3280 ft/sec still do aprox 2780 ft/sec @ 300 yards.
At 240 yards it will do what a .308win does at the muzzle with the same bulletweight.

I consider the .270weatherby the finest of all modern american calibers. There are many good ones indeed, but the .277cal in a "Beehive" takes the breath from many smallbore medium calibers. TO weatherBEE or not to weatherBEE?. I`ll be Bee.
I have shot a little over 26 heads of animals so far here in Denmark, but most (23)in Africa. 1 shot 1 kill no flights. This rifle is again this year going to accompany me to Africa.

BK":2jmfcncg said:
filmjunkie4ever":2jmfcncg said:

But that's so... so... so.... pedestrian!

Hey man, when did you move to spud country?

Just recently Kurt. In December in fact.

Pedestrian huh? :) Tell that to the nearly hundreds of animals I have claimed with that 30-06. :)

Am getting an 8mm Rem Mag to join the ranks in a few days...how's that for laser beam?

filmjunkie4ever":2sh2w79f said:
Am getting an 8mm Rem Mag to join the ranks in a few days...how's that for laser beam?

That will be a hammer. Great cartridge, that.

It would be fun to have Rem 700's in: 6mm Rem, 7mm Rem mag (or .280) and the 8mm Rem mag as well. Three different Remington cartridges for small, medium and large game.

Guy

Guy Miner":21v52aoq said:
It would be fun to have Rem 700's in: 6mm Rem, 7mm Rem mag (or .280) and the 8mm Rem mag as well. Three different Remington cartridges for small, medium and large game.

Guy

That would, indeed, be a great battery of armaments to own.

I have near owned a 6mm of any kind. Don't know why , I have nothing against them, just never owned one.

Guy Miner":ha8y272l said:

Guy

That would be kinda cool. So far, I have a 6mm, a 7-08, a couple of 7RMs. Looking for a .280 (7mm Express) and would like to stumble on an 8RM.

Elkman":37dbu362 said:
I have near owned a 6mm of any kind. Don't know why , I have nothing against them, just never owned one.

Neither have I ever owned a .243 calibre rifle of any kind. The .257 calibre is my smallest bore size. Just never grabbed my interest.

Back