264 Win Mag

killdeernow

Beginner
Dec 20, 2006
Well, Nosler did it to me. I always said, and posted it somewhere in this forum that if Nosler made a 264 Win Mag that I would buy one.

I already emailed Shawn asking some questions. I plan on getting the Legacy. I think a fine wood rifle in that caliber would be a nice throwback every time I open the gun safe.

You won't be dissapointed, the 264 is one of the very best long range rounds available for deer sized game. The barrel is listed as 24" long which a bunch of 264 WM loonies think is too short, but my own gun with a 24" barrel has never dissapointed me in the least when it comes to speed. The Legacy would be gorgeous, make sure you post some pictues when it comes in.

Congratulations! That is a sweet cartridge. Undoubtedly, the rifle will meet specs.

One thing about nice wood is that you can appreciate and admire it when you can not go shooting. Everybody should have one, pretty wood, rifle. Good for the soul!

Oldtrader3":1lc44kyc said:
One thing about nice wood is that you can appreciate and admire it when you can not go shooting. Everybody should have one, pretty wood, rifle. Good for the soul!

+1

I'm in full agreement, Charlie.

gerry":1m69pb56 said:
The barrel is listed as 24" long which a bunch of 264 WM loonies think is too short, but my own gun with a 24" barrel has never disappointed me in the least when it comes to speed.
Funny you say that. That was one of my questions to Shawn. I was wondering if I could get it in a 26" barrel. Either way I'm fine w/it. I just did some research on the WWW and it seems, as you put it, that the 264 loonies (well stated BTW) prefer the extra length for performance reasons.

I am excited as you might expect. It's been too long since I had a walnut bolt action in the safe. I plan on a plain military leather sling and some good optics to top it off with (Swarovski or Leupold).

I'm also new at reloading, so I'll be pinging you guys in the reloading section for your favorite "pet" loads!

Now, I have to wait. It can't be as bad as my wait for my custom 223 WSSM so I'm prepared...

The only other thing about the 24" vs 26" + debate is I have noticed that the some of the guys with the longer barrel also red line their loads which might be part of the reason they get more fps. Regardless of whether the barrel is 24 or 26 the 264 WM is still one of the very best long range guns, is accurate in a good gun and has mild recoil. You will be pleased with it.

Rob,

Congratulations! That is going to be one awesome rifle!

JD338

I would have to think the 24 vs 26 debate wouldn't be as relevant with modern powders...

You can always get more fps from a longer barrel...but I'd wager you can get more out of a 24" with modern powder than they got from the original "Westerners" with 26" tubes.

Just food for thought.

gerry":30lm1zd8 said:
The only other thing about the 24" vs 26" + debate is I have noticed that the some of the guys with the longer barrel also red line their loads which might be part of the reason they get more fps. Regardless of whether the barrel is 24 or 26 the 264 WM is still one of the very best long range guns, is accurate in a good gun and has mild recoil. You will be pleased with it.

Without a doubt. I wouldn't be a bit scared of a 24" barreled 264. With today's powders and the excellent 140 BT, PT and AB's, the 264 ranks very high in my eyes. Didn't get to hunt with mine this Fall, but it was ready. That Legacy is going to be really nice I bet. Good choice in rifles. I love the 264.. Remember, slow, slow powders are your friend!

SJB358":cvoyvvac said:
JD338":cvoyvvac said:
Rob,

Congratulations! That is going to be one awesome rifle!

JD338

Jim, you probably oughta have one! :lol:

Good idea Scotty. I will sell you the little 673 Guide rifle 264 Wanna Be for your son. :wink:

JD338

Either way I plan on getting it. When I do, I'll be hitting the reloading forum again for some recipes. Thanks,

Well, it's ordered! Today around 1030hrs...

I went with the 24" barrel. They don't come in 26"...yet.

Should be in around June. Once I get it, I'll post pics. Take care,

You're going to be one happy customer. Take close look at how it's finished when you get it, especially the inletting! The checkering is sure to bring a smile to your face as well. You get a lot of rifle for the money, believe me. The smile just gets bigger when you take it to the range. If you get a chance, take a look at "Wood Rifles Don't Shoot, Legacy Groups, and BZ Nosler." The short story is that my 300 Legacy will shoot circles around any rifle I own, including my 308 match rifle. It is a regular less tha 1/2 MOA shooter and has turned in a group of 0.14 inch. I have never loaded for something as easy as my Legacy. The only thing that could ever convince me to tinker with my current 200gr AB load is the promise of that 190 ABLR that's coming out. Someday, when my two kids grow a little, I hope to get them matching rifles in .280AI. Congratulations on your purchase and caliber selection!
Joe

Joe,

Always good to see your posts. I certainly enjoy your contributions. All the Legacies for which I've seen reports appear to shoot very well; they are certainly an attractive rifle. That, in itself, is worth a lot.

Back