.264 WM Madness!

Yeah, I kinda think it probably needs a 25-26" tube, but I figure I could shoot till the 24" wore out, or I just got tired of it and then throw a 26" barrel on it later one. I like the SS/Lam rifles. Might be worth giving up a few FPS for that. I can't see it being too horrible. Scotty

beretzs":2dd5ywhl said:
Yeah, I kinda think it probably needs a 25-26" tube, but I figure I could shoot till the 24" wore out, or I just got tired of it and then throw a 26" barrel on it later one. I like the SS/Lam rifles. Might be worth giving up a few FPS for that. I can't see it being too horrible. Scotty

Sounds like a plan.

beretzs":2lds0p5a said:
MC, that 270WSM is growing on ya! I love mine. It is such a flat shooting rifle that delivers the goods. As much as I really want a 264, the WSM really handles anything the 264 could ever do for me I believe. It has accounted for elk, muleys and a bunch of whitetails. My hunting partner is going to use it this year for this little skinny Va deer!

Your 264 does sound like a great one though! You all with 264's are hurting me a little. Seems like the old 264 is making a comeback in a major way right now. Especially with some powders that allow you to really load it up properly. Scotty

I agree about the 270WSM doing what the 264 can thanks to Nosler. The 140gr AccuBond is the reason I bought my WSM, the 270 never offered much in high BC bullets that interested me until it came out. The 264 doesn't beat it by much with a 140 unless you go to a Berger or similar design. I will have to give them a try also when they become available again but I really like the performance of my accubonds.

If I remember right off the top of my head here is the comparative BC's

270 140gr AccuBond BC .496
6.5 140 AccuBond BC .509
6.5 140 berger VLD BC .612

The difference in wind drift starts to show up at longer ranges with the high BC

Back