.264WM gets a turn at the range.......................

I have had great luck with the Nosler brass in the 264 Win Mag. I anneal every few firings and can't seem to wear a case out.

SJB358":1sninbc1 said:
I have had great luck with the Nosler brass in the 264 Win Mag. I anneal every few firings and can't seem to wear a case out.

I'm going to need to figure out how to do this.

And thank you everyone! I'm loving it so far!

I bought a driver socket adapter to use a deep well socket with my electric drill but haven't got around to trying it yet. I have some 257 Roberts brass I need to do and some 30-06 also.

Who claims those massive mitts on that video, Scotty? Very instructive.

DrMike":ij61y2k3 said:

Yup, those were my paws Mike. I have since stopped dropping them into water though. I just drop them into a .50 aluminum pie tin and let them cool normally. Easier to handle and less mess to deal with.

No idea on either method. I have seen no benefit to dropping them in water.

Bob, you asked who is right. That'd be my wife..

SJB358":2apv1y2f said:
Bob, you asked who is right. That'd be my wife..

Wise answer, Scotty. Since we are talking about brass, there should be no need for rapid quenching through plunging into water. The brass will cool sufficiently quickly through cooling at ambient temperature.

You appear to have a very good load worked up for mule deer. Control the buck fever (if that is possible) and you'll have something great to hang on the wall with the way that 264 Win shoots. Good luck on the hunt!

Congrats on that rifle, Mike. It's not a Winchester, but it'll do. ;)

For those interested, I'm also running RL33 and a 140AB in my 264WM (a Winny Supergrade). My load that I settled on is not far off Mike's. 76.0gr RL33 and an OAL of 3.150. Yeah, they're short. My bolt won't close till they're 3.240, though.

Bear in mind that the load I'm running is HOT. While I don't get a sticky bolt on mine, I can if I shoot it a few shots in a row and it heats up. Not always, but sometimes the third or fourth in a string (without cooling intervals) will have a tad more bolt lift resistance.

What stops me from reworking the load is that it's shot into 2" at 300 for me, and goes about 3200. That's some good stuff. I just have to watch my primer pockets. If they start to get loose, it's time to dial it back.

SJB358":2xt6ilma said:
DrMike":2xt6ilma said:

Yup, those were my paws Mike. I have since stopped dropping them into water though. I just drop them into a .50 aluminum pie tin and let them cool normally. Easier to handle and less mess to deal with.
Very informative I've got the tools now that I've seen it done I'll give it a whirl.

If you need 264 Win cases you can take any 7mm Rem mag case and just run it through a FL sizer for the 264 Win mag and presto you have a 264 Win mag case. That is what I did to get my cases. Made them out of once fired Winchester 7 mags. 66.5 grs Retumbo, CCI 250, 130 AccuBond, 3350 fps with under MOA accuracy. Don't get much better than that. Oh, I have a 9 twist 27 3/4" Shilen barrel on a Rem 700 action. The AccuBond is an awesome bullet. I have killed a dozen plus deer, lost count, with this combo and the bullet holds together and exits even as close as 30 yards at these high velocities. It also has worked perfectly out to 400 yards so far. All deer shot were DRT.

I have been shooting my new .264 the past few weekends and testing loads. I have been using the 140 gr. Ballistic Tips and have gotten similar results with the pictures you posted. However, my best groups where in the 2800 fps range (chronographed) with 3/4" -7/8" groups. The group size opening up when in the 3,000 -3,100 fps ranges. I can't remember off hand how many powders and different weights I used, but I do know that I did not try any Reloder 33. None of the larger groups were that "bad" (all could be used for hunting). I am just trying to get the combination of tightest group & best velocity.

If I go with the lighter loads and 3/4"-7/8" groups, it is an EXACT duplication of my .280. I picked up some 130 gr. Accubonds to try in the next few weeks. I know I will get slightly higher velocities with the lighter bullet; just hoping for those 3/4" groups at about 3100-3150 fps.

Give a look at RL25, Nosler cases, CCI250's and either the 140 BT or AB. I'm around 67 grains and I clock right around 3180 with the BT and 3200 with the AB. It is seriously good shooting. Pretty easy to keep it right at 1" at 200 yards or better if I'm shooting well. I'll look up my OAL when I get home.

Back