338 Alaskan Range report

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
I was able to get her out and shoot her. :grin:

Scoped up in some Talley Low's with the C4 Burris.

This was the first load down the pipe after bore sighting. 180 gr BT;s over 67 of IMR 4350 in brand new Winchester brass: Those are seven consecutive shots " walking the scope". The last three are the top three, without adjusting the scope, 2 minutes in between shots.

Next up was the 210 Partition. I started with 69, 70, 71 and 73. 73 is listed as max charge in Nosler manual #4.

69:

71:

73:

That last group of 73 was three shots taken 15 minutes apart as it was getting hot here in NM. Even though it was sub MOA at .87 inches C to C, pressure was extreme and the brass had severe extractor marks and the bolt handle was extremely hard to lift. I am going to change powders and find some R19 after consulting with Quickload/Scotty. For my case capacity, the IMR charge of 73 was at 59900 for pressure and not safe. As Dr. Mike says " tickling the tail of the dragon". I actually almost didn't fire the last shot. The first two were the ones darn near touching, I may have pulled that last shot, I really don't know. I was just hoping I didn't pull the trigger and find myself picking pieces of walnut and steel out of my arms and face.

Very happy though for the rifle and I may even play with the seating depths a bit and try to bring that 71 charge in a bit. Not a bad day at the range. I am ecstatic that the restocking worked and I am looking forward to shooting it again. Next time with the Chrono.

I would loaded up some starting with 71.5 and increase 1/2 grain to see how it shot and you might try some H4350 which is a tad slower to see if that helps plus it's suppose to be less heat sensitive.

Did you happen to chronograph your loads? If your standard deviations are reasonably tight, you can anticipate some definite improvement in accuracy through playing with seating depth.

No I didn't Dr. Mike. The range is a public range and the range officers really give you a hard time about using the chrono. I plan on hitting the desert soon out on BLM of National Forest and set up the chrono.

As the years have progressed, I have ceased chasing velocity. I'm conscious of velocity, and I do want a reasonable velocity for the cartridge/bullet I am using. However, I am increasingly focused on obtaining the tightest standard deviation possible. My experience leads me to anticipate that if I have a good SD, accuracy is readily found through adjusting OAL.

Looks like the new stock/bedding/loving attention to detail s paying off for you! I know we are all "real men, and tough as a boot", however, a 338WM is still a 338WM and getting tight groups with one is as much a testimony to good shooting ability as it is to good components/loads! I have observed that if a man, any man, can get consistent 1.5" groups from a medium magnum or heavier, its an accurate rifle, and will kill every critter in the field! You did good.... (y)

Looking good so far! shoot me a pm if you like, I do most of my load testing at the city range. Have a magnetospeed thats really slick to use out there, you could borrow it or we could get together and do some shooting, I have a couple desert spots nearby for some longer range practice or chrono work if you are more comfortable with that.

That is very generous Tobey. I may have to take you up on the long range practice. I know there is a lot of BLM close by, and I have the maps, but I want to make sure I am no where near the Pueblos. I have heard through the grapevine that they take your weapons and ask questions later if they even suspect you shooting near or on the lands.

I do like the city range, I just wish all the range officers were on the same page. I was shooting/reloading the muzzleloader at the bench with an officer right behind me. He kept coming up and looking at what I was loading, talking about elk hunting, etc.. never said anything to me about me doing anything wrong.

He goes to lunch and a new officer comes down and proceeds to verbally reprimand me pretty good for loading my muzzleloader at the bench. He tells me that all muzzleloaders have to be loaded 10 feet behind the bench in a rack, then walked up to the bench, bullet/sabot, etc.. loaded, then primed. I told him it was my first time shooting a muzzleloader there and I didn't know. He rolled his eyes and said I was told when I got there ( I wasn't).

Oh well. It still is a good range and every other time has been pleasant. Can't wait for them to reopen the 200 yard range.

I hear ya about the range guys, some of the younger dudes can be irritating for sure, need to hold a quick seminar for them and explain muzzle breaks...pretty nice facilities though if you need a bench or like to shoot some skeet. In their defense they do have to stay ahead of whatever foolishness people might try at a public range, some folks out there need to be watched like a hawk, as a semi regular I seem to have an easier time.

Definately want to stay off the pueblos, good idea to have ammo completely seperated from firearms driving across indian land when practicable, heard some stories...there is some not very well posted private land around that people have been shooting up, try to stay clear of that too out of consideration. Be more than happy to show you some simple blm options.

Back