.270 acuuracy deterioration

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
My . 270 win. is now printing 2" (3-shot) groups as opposed to the sub inch in has for years. :?
I've covered all the basics. scopes fine, all screws tight, cleaned, etc.
other than seat the bullets out a few thousandths , any other thoughts?

A little more info would be helpful. If you are loading for your 270 have you changed lot#s of powder or different head stamp brass? Are these reloads that have set around for a while? If loading you own how many firing on the brass cases?

I would first try another scope if you have not already. Sounds like classic erector problems.

Here's my post from the other one

Handloads?
If so might measure the bullets themselves as the distance to the ogive changes occasionally with different bullets. That changes the jump as the distance to ogive changes.
Another would be a different powder batch. Batch changes in burn rate can make abig difference.
The above may matter assuming the barrel is still ok and everything else is tight, as you mentioned.
I'd also consider trying a different scope, just in case.

Dwh7271":3k0du5ga said:
Here's my post from the other one

Handloads?
If so might measure the bullets themselves as the distance to the ogive changes occasionally with different bullets. That changes the jump as the distance to ogive changes.
Another would be a different powder batch. Batch changes in burn rate can make abig difference.
The above may matter assuming the barrel is still ok and everything else is tight, as you mentioned.
I'd also consider trying a different scope, just in case.

This.

I have an older Mod. 70 that loves a certain brand of primers and no others. Different lots of powder can change group sizes also.

All the best, Jim

Back