.270 load development help with next step

Browning X-Bolt in .270c
2.853 OAL to lands per Hornady OAL gauge technique

That's exactly what my Model 70 measures with the Nosler 130 gr BT. I seat the bullet .015" deeper to get that far off the lands. The Hornady 130 gr bullet measures 2.722". I usually experiment a bit after I determine the best powder/charge with the COAL in increments of .010" watching for signs of pressure as I seat deeper.

My FN 270 has a 22" barrel but the pre-64 Standard barrel is 24" and definitely a tad heavier. Actually, it shoots tighter groups than the FN.

DrMike":3lqwczdy said:
3044 is not significantly out of the realm of expectation. Statistically, your load is still a good load.

Bingo, don't sweat that. How was the accuracy?

For those of you who would like to(me included) Jack O'Connors loadings I found an interesting article, albeit it wasn't surprising, about how you probably won't be able to do that. Times and components have changed quite a bit since his time. When I started using H4831 in the late 60's it was still considered mil surp powder unlike today and the only Nosler bullet available, IIRC, was the Partition bullet-no AB or BT back then.

Scroll down just a little and read Allan Jones' write up of "I want to Duplicate Jack's Handloads". It's a good read.

http://jack-oconnor.org/pdf/JackOConnor ... letter.pdf

All,

Sorry I neglected your comments. After I left the firing range I had several appointments to fund this hobby I've slipped into. Lots of great comments and suggestions, many of which I was able to see and appreciate while at the range. Thanks for the article, I'm looking forward to a great read.

Interesting day at the range.

Fired Factory Win 130g powerpoints to see how they would chrony.
2996,3037,3065 so the box velocity of 3060 is achievable with my rifle. Interesting spread.

I built 4 each at 59g 59.5g and 60g. Same OAL of 2.847. I only shot the 59 and 59.5 before running out of time. Interesting, that the average for 59 was a higher velocity than the 59.5. Makes me wonder if something under 59.5 the beginning of the plateau.

59g 2996,3009,2996,3034 = 3009fps.
59.5g 2982,3016,2976 = 2991fps (I missed the chrony on one)

Of the two strings the 59.5g shot decidedly better, but I think the 59g string could have been as tight if I had setup properly. I didn't realize it until 2 shots in, that my scope was backed down in power and the red dot was so intense as to obscure the orange target dot. I "think" I'm going to give that string a do-over.

I'm looking closely at the primers and I don't think I'm seeing any pressure signes. Would love a second (or third) opinion. The top row is 59.9g the bottom is 59g

FBCixcJ7ZIkdYkOVq-Mi1GsQR6po2H2nhRwi8PZnqg=w304-h228-p-no

Here is the flawed 59g string. I think I could clover leaf 3 at least had I setup properly. Definetly going to shoot this again.
qNSd3GFu42aVccbJiK7XNjaKhmaEiMtidknz-XfNcA=w171-h228-p-no

This was nice and tight and felt good.
2VJuOyHjmJCXdxaFWISilMz82t5AJl4Ta8bgvgCdbg=w171-h228-p-no

I didn't shoot the 60g. I think I might, but mostly because they are already made and want to eliminate the possibility that this isn't some magic load.

I think what I'm going to concentrate on is 59-59.5g in .2 gr increments. THen I'll pick one stretch it out to 200 and 300 yards.

The data you present with a charge of 59.5 grains suggests that your extreme spread is growing, which would be consistent with post peak pressures. Fifty-nine grains is a decent standard deviation, which is likely where I would focus my attention.

I agree with Mike. Your 59 grain load is excellent. As is your 59.5. What that's showing me is your in the accuracy node where if you dumped 59.2 or 59.4 they are all going to go to the same place. You've found your load. I'd reshoot and see if it repeats. I'm thinking your looking real good as that load will poleaxe deer without issues. I'd even try that same seating depth backing down a grain with the 130 AB just to see if you might have a single load that works for both. Crazier things have happened!

I think it was an article, years ago, by Ross Seyfried, that caused me to take a harder look at the .270 Win.

He was pushing some pretty impressive loads through his, probably well over book loads I'd guess. He referred to it as having magnum velocity and trajectory, without the recoil. Smart fellow, old Ross.

Guy

Just my 2 cents but I have two 270s that respond well to the 59.5 gr load with both the Hornady and Nosler 130 gr bullet. You might try altering your seating depth to see if even better grouping occurs.

Wis65x55: No you didn't overlook it. I skipped 58.5 because I was so far below my desired velocity. Not sure that skipping was prudent but in retrospect I don't think I'll be experimenting much below 59gr.

SJB358: You are thinking exactly what I'm thinking with regards to the AccuBond. I plan doing exactly what you said. Take the best ballistics tip round, back off 1gr and see how the AccuBond responds.

All: I agree with the sentiment that I've found my load, and that it is a matter of fine tuning between 59g and 59.5g. It will take a few days before I go back out, but I'll post results. Probably going to reshoot 59g and add 5.3g and reshoot 59.5g. I hope to pick one and stretch it out.

Guy Miner":kqmj5z3f said:
I think it was an article, years ago, by Ross Seyfried, that caused me to take a harder look at the .270 Win.

He was pushing some pretty impressive loads through his, probably well over book loads I'd guess. He referred to it as having magnum velocity and trajectory, without the recoil. Smart fellow, old Ross.

Guy

You aren't kidding. I always liked reading what he wrote. Pretty big fan of the 340 and 270 Win. My sorta guy.

I think you might be overthinking some of this.

Load up a good 130g bullet with either 56g of H4350 or 60g of H4831 and just shoot it. You might also benefit from some careful experimentation above 60g of 4831.

In my own 270 Win with a 24 inch barrel, I load 61g of H4831 and this gets me right on 3060fps, but my rifle is fairly long throated and can tolerate some pretty high charges and still produce moderate velocities.

I think current production H4831 is quite slow, you might need to put a little more coal on the fire to get the speeds you are after.

All,

It will be a few weeks before I report back on load development. I'm ashamed to tell the story I'm about to tell, but in the hopes that someone will learn from it here goes.

I went back to the range for loads setup for 59.0g, 59.3g, 59.5g, and the leftover 60g. I set everything up, pulled out the 59.5g (best shooter previously) and sent one down range. I first discovered something was up when the chrony didn't record a velocity. When I couldn't find a hole in my target I got real curious. I inspected the weapon, looked at the scope wondering if it got knocked around . . . I fired another round, got a velocity reading, but round hit 8-10" low and 8-10" right. I fired once more to make sure, and same thing. I thought I might have somehow went real wrong building the round so pulled and shot 2 factory rounds both of which were way off.

What I thought was going on, is that I let a friend handle the rifle over the weekend, and I figured he bumped the scope pretty badly while I was out of the room and didn't want to admit it. So I began sighting in the factory rounds again and was going to then see how my handloads shot. After the first shot/adjustment, I began to wonder where I put my boresighter, and then my heart sunk. I used it to position my chrony and left it in the barrel. Long story short, I ruined the barrel. On close inspection the barrel is bulged a couple thousands of an inch and shows stress signs 2-3" from the end. About where the bullet would have made contact with the boresighter.

I know better. I'm new at reloading, not new at weapons handling/safety. I have no idea how I did this. If a guy the next lane over had did this, I would have moved. I don't want to be shooting next to a guy that doesn't know how to make sure their weapon is ready to fire.

I'm researching what it will take to get a new barrel now. Retail for this barrel is $600 bucks. I wonder if they offer a 24" version? My larger concern, was how foolish I was/am. How I endangered myself and those around me by being careless. Again, I tell this story so that someone can say what I fool I am, but secretly promise to do better themselves.

Let the ridicule begin.

I feel relatively sure you're not the first one that's happened to. You're a good man for admitting what you did, IMHO. We've all made errors one way or the other and the best thing to do is to pick up and go on and remember those errors...lessons learned.

You aren't the first; and I doubt you will be the last. We're just glad you didn't have a catastrophic barrel failure. A new barrel may be a blessing before it is all said and done.

DrMike":di4lne5t said:
You aren't the first; and I doubt you will be the last. We're just glad you didn't have a catastrophic barrel failure. A new barrel may be a blessing before it is all said and done.

The good Doctor said it right, everything happens for a reason. Your safe, and not missing any digits. Get yourself a nice Krieger, Bartlein, Brux and have at it. You'll really be able to have some fun then!

Back