270 load good enough for elk?

Pity I'm not on that side of the line. That bullet works very well for me in my 270 WSM. Colour me envious.

A good friend of mine who thinks the .270 walks on water has, as witnessed by me killed three elk with a .270. One and a hair over 100 yards, one at 250 yards and one at 400 and something yards. The long shot was at a wounded elk that was trying to get away. FWIW, his bullet of choice was the 150 gr. Sierra Game King. I've only used that bullet on a couple of deer and one antelope but I have to say it works quite well.
Paul B.

I would load 150 grain Partitions for it.
I agree. 150 grain Partitions are a better option for elk. Even though those lighter weight bullets will be deadly when properly placed, elk are such tough and big boned animals, and shooting circumstances aren’t always optimum, heavier bullets are the better choice in my opinion.

My go to gun is my .270. I shoot 130 gr Ballistic tips. Nothing has went more than 10 yds after the shot. Longest was 502 yds on an elk. It was one and done. Go for it !!
The slow velocity at that distance made that bullet really shine compared to a heavy tough bullet imo

Received a box of 270 Barnes TTSX 130 gr bullets. I decided to use a tried and trued powder charge of IMR 4451 that has shot really well with multiple 130 bullets out of the 270. My 4 shot group is .510 inches. My velocity is right at 3000 fps at the muzzle. First attempt with this bullet and obviously it groups well so I kind of want to save them and not continue with load development. I know this load would be deadly on any deer walking. Is the bullet weight / bullet construction and velocity enough for elk in the opinion of hunters on here?
Although I am a big fan of the Nosler Partition for elk, I would choose this bullet over the Partition. It was recommended to me by a friend about 15 years ago, and I've never looked back. I've killed elk at 75 yards and a couple well beyond that range, and have never had to track one more than about 100 feet. They almost always pass clear through the animal, which goes against the prevailing opinion of bullets should be recovered just under the skin on the offside of the animal you are hunting. The only one I have recovered was from a spine shot on an elk at approx. 360 yards. It dropped him in his tracks and is now a nice conversation piece in my office. There is something about this round that is very deadly that doesn't appear on paper.

There aren’t any flies on the .270!
It has, to the chagrin, of many magnumites, including myself, taken elk, and moose, without sweating.
Back in the late 80’s, I bought my first high powered rifle, influenced by the likes of Craig Boddington, and Gary Sitton, and got me a 7mm Rem Mag. Why? Because it was flashy, and speedy, and it wasn’t my dad’s .30-06!
I have since learned that I don’t need something that will bellow, and buck to take deer, elk, and moose.
The .270, nowadays, has better performance due to better bullets for it, and it will take elk, even at some distance, without any worries.
Heck, nowadays, even Craig Boddington has said that it’s robust enough, and has started hunting with his .270, and has taken red deer, and elk, without stressing out about performance.
Just like he has, I have learned from the “average” cartridges, that they can do 95% of what the magnums can do, with less kick, and less ear drum shattering reports.

Hawk

There aren’t any flies on the .270!
It has, to the chagrin, of many magnumites, including myself, taken elk, and moose, without sweating.
Back in the late 80’s, I bought my first high powered rifle, influenced by the likes of Craig Boddington, and Gary Sitton, and got me a 7mm Rem Mag. Why? Because it was flashy, and speedy, and it wasn’t my dad’s .30-06!
I have since learned that I don’t need something that will bellow, and buck to take deer, elk, and moose.
The .270, nowadays, has better performance due to better bullets for it, and it will take elk, even at some distance, without any worries.
Heck, nowadays, even Craig Boddington has said that it’s robust enough, and has started hunting with his .270, and has taken red deer, and elk, without stressing out about performance.
Just like he has, I have learned from the “average” cartridges, that they can do 95% of what the magnums can do, with less kick, and less ear drum shattering reports.

Hawk
I totally agree, if I only had one caliber it would be the .270!

The reason why Jack O’Connor had such great success was because he used the 130 gr Nosler Partition bullet.
Today’s premium bullets make the .270 Winchester even that much better. I have a .270, and I won’t hesitate to light elk up with it, and even at some distance, if need be.
My hunting experience has usually been that the game has been no further than 250 yds, but if I need to take a little longer shot, I can, without worrying I don’t have enough ft-lbs to put in an elks boiler room..
I started using Sierra Game Kings, because that’s what my dad prefers. But, I soon learned of Nosler bullets, thanks to my buddy Fotis. I’ve used Hornady bullets also. All have worked well, but I can say the Nosler’s usually have worked the best.

Hawk

A good shooting 270 with a good bullet like the TTSX or Partition is really a great elk cartridge in my opinion. You won’t see the hit effect of a 338 or big 300 but typically they’ll wander around and keel over just the same.

I’ll never beat on the Partitions but with bullets like the 150 Accubonds and ABLRs I’d hedge my bets with those if I’m going heavier than the 130 TTSX. The extra BC just keeps speed up and wind drift lower if you are stretching the string a bit.

I have no reservations about the capability of the 270 Win on elk. I bought my wife a Savage 110 Ultralite in 270 Win last summer and found some Hornady ammo with the 140 SST bullet. They shot really well sighting it in, but unfortunately she wasn't able to get a shot at a bull elk. I'm trying to talk her into putting in for an ID moose tag this year, so maybe she can score her first bull elk and a bull moose. This summer I'll be working up a load for the 270 with 140ABs as I have a bunch of then due to me loading for my 270WSM. I also have a good supply of 130 ETs I had to use in my 270WSM while I was stationed at then Vandenberg AFB, CA due to the big game lead ban.

A lot of folks just don't understand the effectiveness of the tried and true cartridges like the 270 Win. For decades it's been getting the job done on all sorts of game, no problem.

Put a good bullet where it belongs. Then go tag your kill.

Regards, Guy

Back