270 RCM?

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
So I have been doing some thinking during my hours upon hours of sitting on a tractor, and was wondering what you guys think about the thought of a 270 RCM. I would have it built on a 300 lenght mag action, and go with a thin 24 inch stainless barrel on a savage action. thinking it would look really good with a McMillian hunters edge. Think it would get close to 270 weatherby? With the longer (standard mag) action I think I could seet the bullets out deeper and take advantage of all of the case capacity and still shoot the long 140 ABs. I really like the case design over the WSM as far as feeding goes. Just something a little different I guess.

POP have you messed around with the wildcat part of QL? I have it and have messed with it a bit but I have moved three times this last summer and my computer with my QL is still packed up? If so could ya maybe work up a rough example of something like that?

jmad_81":25d29cek said:
So I have been doing some thinking during my hours upon hours of sitting on a tractor, and was wondering what you guys think about the thought of a 270 RCM. I would have it built on a 300 lenght mag action, and go with a thin 24 inch stainless barrel on a savage action. thinking it would look really good with a McMillian hunters edge. Think it would get close to 270 weatherby? With the longer (standard mag) action I think I could seet the bullets out deeper and take advantage of all of the case capacity and still shoot the long 140 ABs. I really like the case design over the WSM as far as feeding goes. Just something a little different I guess.

POP have you messed around with the wildcat part of QL? I have it and have messed with it a bit but I have moved three times this last summer and my computer with my QL is still packed up? If so could ya maybe work up a rough example of something like that?
....................I`ll bet that before too long, we just may see a 270 RCM coming out of Hornady and a chambering from Ruger.

No I have not but I could try! I will post when I get some time to play with it!

jmad_81,

I have Hawkeye rifles in .375 Ruger (the African) and the .300 RCM. I have been thinking about a 6.5 RCM, even sometimes about a 7 RCM. I have to admit that the .270 RCM did not occur to me, but then I never think about .270s. ;)

Well, I did think about a 6.8 SPC once in a small CZ rifle, but the thought passed.

jim

Give 'em a little time and one of the gunpowder junkies that hang out here will build one or have it built. :grin: Jmad- sounds like your half way there...hope the harvest was good and the winter gives you lots of time to tinker! CL

Wow I thought that this thread had flatlined! I did some playing with my quickload program now that harvest is over and thing are slowing down and looks like a 270 RCM wouldn't be much different than a 270 WSM. I think that it could offer some advantages over the WSM as far as case shape, feeding, and case head size for actions to buil on.

Now a 6.5 RCM... with a 130 gr. AB or maybe a 140 Ab some day! I would think that a guy could squeeze 31-3200 out of it. Make for a real goat/open country muley gun. I'll do some more playing when I get back home this week and let you know what I can cook up.

Did some playing with the QL last night and looks like a guy could get 3250 with a 130 AB out of a 26" barrel in a 6.5 RCM. these are pretty rough numbers but should give a ball park. Closer to 3200 with the 140 HPBT.

I shoot a 6.5-'06 for mule deer and antelope frequently in the West, the latest load iteration was with a 130 gr Berger VLD. Building a 6.5 RCM would allow using a shorter and lighter action, and a lighter rifle with the same barrel length -- say 24".

If you really want to zoom smaller and lighter bullets I would look at the .257 Weatherby.

jim

Gun Powder Junkies, Who Where, not here?? I did see a wildcat that is a 278 Ultra mag, JGS has a version with a 30 degree shoulder and there is a proprietary version with a 44 degree shoulder that is hitting 4000FPS with a 130 grn bullets supposedly, no idea if that is with a ouhler on it or just "Wildcatting". Be a pretty hot number, but heavy in a Full Length action. Custom reamers are bout 156 and RCBS dies around the same. You could use a standard 300 RUM HS guage. If you wanted a 28" pacNor and a 700 SPS with a burnt barrel it could be around the price of a normal 700 Rem. Which isn't that bad.

Yeah, I like it when the case looks like a soda bottle, specially with a sharp or round shoulder.

CC.

Back