270 reload over all length

RGR

Beginner
Oct 18, 2006
I'm trying to load Nosler boat tail 140 grain Balistic tip using 53.5 grains of IMR 4350 powder. My problem is that I cannot find the total overall length for this combination. Can anyone please help me.

I would start with Nosler's SAAMI OAL listed in the reloading manual.
I have usually gone a touch longer in my M70 270Win, I think, about 3.36" with good accuracy.

IMHO 53.5g of IMR4350 is a little stout unless you have a lot of freebore. IMR recommends a max load of 53.2 w/ 140g bullets. H4350 is a little slower but my bullet launcher prefers around 55g H4831. OAL will vary with each rifle as to how they are chambered. I seat my BT 140's .010" off the lands. I load a dummy cartridge and seat the bullet way out and then chamber the dummy round allowing the chamber to push the bullet back. Then I start seating the bullet a little deeper and smoke the bullet each time and rechamber until the lands dont appear on the bullett. I then measure OAL and seat .010 deeper. It aint the most scientific way to do it and takes a little time but it works for me. My $0.02

340boy said:
I would start with Nosler's SAAMI OAL listed in the reloading manual.
I have usually gone a touch longer in my M70 270Win, I think, about 3.36" with good accuracy.

Hubcap: I found the OAL to be an incredible 3.400' in my sears mod. 53 based on a direct measurement with a stoney point OAL gauge. I,m loading the same bullet AS RGR starting with an OAL. of 3.360". I will work slowly toward the lands based on testing the loads.

With any cartrdige I usually start w/ 0.05" less than magazine length. Check that against the OAL v lands. SOmetimes you can't get close to the lands so mag length often governs.

Back