270 win 129 Barnes LRX for Antelope?

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
In a couple of weeks I am driving across the border to Wyoming unit 25 for an Antelope hunt. The rifle I will be taking a a custom 270.

Winchester 70 Supergrade Action
25" #3 shilen ss barrel
McMillan hunter stock
Timney tigger
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

This summer I settled on an all around load that consists of a 129gr. Barnes Long Range Tipped TSX bullet at 3075 FPS. Shoots very consistent in the 3/4 moa range out to 500 yard.

As we have gotten closer to the hunt I am wondering if the Barnes might be "too tough"? Shots at max will be 3-350 yards more likely 2-300 - if i shoot lungs is it just going to poke through? Prefer not to blow up a shoulder and loose a bunch of meat.

Prong-horn antelope are not heavily boned/ constructed animals. A bullet constructed in a less exspansive manner may not meet enough structural resistance to best use its killing features.

That being said, I have taken several with a .300 Win. Mag and a 180 gr. PT Nosler bullet, watching them wobble off a few steps and keeling over dead. Putting a bullet where it needs to go will put meat on the table!

All the best, Jim

I think it would be perfect. We've used a 7mm Wby with the 150 TTSX, so why not the 270 Win with a 129?

Years ago I belted a pronghorn through the lower lungs and heart with a 130 gr Bitterroot from a 270 Winchester,distance about 400 yards. It ran in a tiny circle and collapsed.

A Bitterroot is about as tough as a Barnes X.

Id use that LRX in a heartbeat. I don't believe in specialized deer bullets. I shoot everything with elk bullets. Simplifies my life and the game doesn't know any different.

I'll start out by saying you don't need a 129/270 Barnes bullet for a Lope, but I can't think of a 'Why Not' either. You're still at/over 2500fps out to 300yds, so you'll get some descent expansion. Just don't expect a wide wound channel, compared to, say, an Interlock, or a Ballistic Tip.

If you're having any heeby-geebys about it (and you have the time) try a 130 BT. It's plenty bullet for what your after.

My personal recommendation, use the Barnes 129 Long Range TSX.
You'll be using it within the velocity perimeters that it states.
It's not going to leave a big exit hole, so be prepared for that.
Stick it in the rib cage, or shoulder blades, and get the heart and lungs, and you'll be good as gold.
If you do your part, it'll do it's part too.
Hopefully you'll have a one shot and it's over hunt!
Good luck! Go get that Speed Goat!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

No worries. I have shot them with 243 all the way to 416 Wby. Once properly hit they go down

The LR TSX's are supposed to expand very well down to 1800. I'd say you are more than fine. Good luck.

Back