270 win 130 accubond

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Loaded up some ammo for my friends vintage belgium BAR 270. This rifle has proven capable of 1" or better groups in the past with the Hor SST, but the best I could do yesterday was 2.5". Using the old standby load of IMR 4831. This rifle has an extremely short throat so I don't have much wiggle room with the COL or a heavier bullet in boattail configuration. The 130 AB is about as long as I can go.

Anybody got any favorite 130 grain loads for this ctg?

Hello
Workin with a new rifle.. Sometimes it takes some tinkerin to get one to shoot the way you want..

I've recently been working with a new .270 in a bolt action, just started actually.
I started out by dissecting some 130gr factory ammo. Each one had a powder charge weighing around 55 grains. Some where a stick powder, some a ball.
This tells me that the ammo maker's philosophy with 130gr bullets is to use a propellant in the '4350' burn speed.

Since the ammo makers have to make ammo that will work in a variety of actions, they must feel that a 4350 type powder is the best compromise with 130gr bullets.
Or.. they are just doing this for economic reasons..

In any case you might want to try some of the 4350's, IMR, AA or H-. I've been hearing that Reloader 17 is working well with the lighter bullets is the .270.
That autoloader might not like the slower burning powders..

So with an autoloader, that's where I would start.. That's my 2¢

Function is good with the 4831 load. I have IMR 4350 and H414 on hand. May have to give those a whirl

I would try H4831 sc, ( short cut ) with 60 gr,or 60.5 gr ( it shoots better in my rifle ) federal large rifle match primer or CCI BR2 large rifle.
My OAL is 3.285. it shoots about 1/2 to 3/4 inch at 100 yards.
Another powder is RL-17 for velocity.

I have been using 55.0 grains of IMR 4350 with a BR-2 primer for many years. It shoots well under a MOA to 300 yards.

IMR4350 as alluded to should work very well with good fps with the 130. It sure showed promise in my buddies 270 I load for, but I already had it's number with H4831SC which worked great with 59.0 grs and Federal large rifle magnum primers behind it.

Back