270 win + Heavy bullets HELP

CountryBoy":346c4tr1 said:
Hi Guys,

I have been using the 170 Gr Speer bullet for almost 40 years, I burn 56 Gr H4831, in my Rifle, with a WLRM Primer, (so that it works well in cold weather also,) this load is allways the first in the chamber, and puts down 9 out of 10 of my animals, it only clocks around 2650 fps, but will out perform any lighter bullet out to at least 200 yds ,
this load has put down around 25 moose, a large bull elk, also lots of deer.
I sight the rifle in for a 140 BT,( the 140 works well past 250 yds), then make sure that I know where the 170 gr shoots, (usually very close to the crosshair at 100 Yds) I am sure that you can figure out the rest.

Good Luck, :)

More,More, and More. Can ya show us a recovered bullet from one of those 25 dead moose? How much weight retention do you typically get with the 170. Ever get a pass thru. What is the average distance your moose travel after taking a hit. Is the 170 tough enough for a shoulder shot on moose. Last question. When you run out of the 170 speer bullets,what will you use for moose? Also:welcome to the forum, we need more .270 users in the neighbor hood. :lol: :lol:

The .270 win is one great caliber..i would try the 140gr AB or the 150 NP, and pick the one that shoots the best...both bullets are super tough :) ...i run 150gr PT's outta my .270WSM @3100 + fps..good luck on your choice...both these bullets well serve you well...Lou

Woodleigh recently introduced a 180 Weldcore for the .270. Hawk makes some heavy - 165 & 180 gr .270 bullets as well.

Lou

Back