270 Winchester & 140 Accubond.

Eagleye

Beginner
Oct 21, 2004
Have no pics, guys, but just had to share my experiences this fall, deer hunting with My Remington 700 CDL and the 140 AccuBond, loaded to 3025 fps. First, this load is absolutely deadly in this rifle. I have had groups as small as 1¼" @ 300 yards, with none over 2".
I shot three deer this fall, two Muleys and one Whitetail. The Whitetail buck was shot at about 60 yards, front facing shot. Bullet entered at base of neck and was not recovered, since it exited just at the last rib. Instant bang-flop. One Muley buck was shot at 85 yards, Broadside, just as he was trying to sneak into the brush at the edge of a clearing. Again, the AccuBond exited, and the deer was down within 40 feet. Third deer was another Muley buck, but entirely different circumstances. We were hunting in an area that sees a fair amount of hunting pressure and the deer were very spooky. We spotted a group of three deer that were about 450 yards away, and all four of us decided that there was a shootable buck in that group. By the time we had sorted this out, the deer were on the move again, and did not stop until they had moved out quite a bit more. Lasered them and got two consecutive readings of 602 and 601 yards. Got into position on a dandy little mound of dirt and calculated the needed holdover. Touched off the shot when everything steadied properly. The buck broke rank at the shot and ran a 30 yard circle and then tipped over. When we finally got over to him, a perfect double lung shot. Again that 140 AB exited, leaving a 1½" hole on the offside. We were all duly impressed with the long range performance. Thanks Nosler, for an excellent bullet!! Regards, Eagleye.

I like that base of the neck shot when possible on whitetails. I have shot two deer with the 140 .277" AccuBond and both exited and performed well.

A 600 yd shot on game is more than what I would be able to do. Most of my hunting is in the North East and we don't or can't shoot that far.

Here is the exit side of a 160 lb buck hit at 150 yds with the subject bullet started by a 270 WSM at 3250 fps.

dsc012721by.jpg

Eagleye

Congratulations on your successful season and good shooting.
Sounds like you found a great load with the 140 gr AB.

Savage99

Congratulations on our buck.
The 270 WSM is one impressive round.

JD338

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I certainly would not want to give the opinion that I casually shoot game at 600 yards anytime I get a chance. This particular opportunity had all the elements of a "do-able" shot though. It was overcast, absolutely calm, the range was known, I had shot this load out to 600 previously on targets and knew the trajectory of this load, and the deer was in an open area with only small cactus and sagebrush with 150 yards to go before he could have been out of sight. I certainly feel more confident on shots inside of 500 yards. Regards, Eagleye

JungleJim":3gnsz8qd said:
Good the hear about your excellent experience. What load are you using?

JJ; I am using Nosler brass, WLR primer, 60.5 grains of Vihtavuori N165, with the COL of the 140 AccuBond set just .015" off the lands. (Please start at 58 grains and work up if you are going to try this load) This load will consistently make a ragged hole at 100 yards, and under 2" at 300 yards. Strange as it may seem, this rifle also shoots the 140 Partition into some pretty impressive groups, with point of impact at 100 only about ½" lower than the AccuBond. Regards, Eagleye.

Eagleye,

I have also been able to get exceptional accuracy with the PT in several calibers and weights. The PT is a very accurate hunting bullet.

JD338

My 270 with the 140Acc. harvested 3 Antelope, 3 Mule Deer & 1 Whitetail last fall with devastating effect. All had exits & theshots were from 50-410 yards. I also obtained great accuracy. I will post pictures soon, my bow hunting will wind down soon .

My son rifle shoots 140gr accubonds and groups excellent 4 shots in the .800 at 100mts. 140 accubonds-56.5h4831-WWcases-cci200.
Conservative load-but devasting-his rifle- a Rem 700 20in carbine,low serial #.

CZ, that's almost exactly the load I use for my Wife and kids. Only difference is i load 57gr even. It is a deer slayer, and I wouldn't be afraid to set them on an elk with it either.

works just as good on elk, puts them down without any problems (out to 573 yds is the farthest I've shot them with a 140 gr AC ,270 WSM).

Eagleye

It looks like the votes are in. Your loads with the 140 gr. Accubonds are the load to beat. I've used Swift A-Frames with that load and they shot great but I couldn't keep them closer than 2.5 inches at 100yds. Since I think Accubonds are the best thing going I thank you for the info.
Don't you just love the AccuBond ?? I honestly don't think the folks at Nosler realize just what they've created. They thought they were just trying to compete with the Scirroco and they created the ultimate lead core bonded bullet in the process. If you've read this forum for about three years you will see my discription of elk killed at extreemly close and pretty far ranges with the AccuBond. The only downside is that pretty soon lead bullets may not be legal for most hunting. BUT!! Nosler has provided us with the E-bullet. I havn't tried them yet but they are our future and since they are from Nosler they"WILL"be up to the challenge!!! :grin:

Here's how much I love the Nosler AccuBond. I have them loaded in my 7x57 (140), My 270 (140), My 280 (140), My 7mm Rem Mag (160), My 300 Savage (150), my 30-06 (165), My 30-338 & 308 Norma Mag (180&200) my 30 Gibbs (180), My 8x57 (200) I still shoot the Partition a fair bit as well, since I have not weaned myself off them completely. It's hard to stop using a bullet that has treated me so well over the past 40+ years. I Believe that Nosler has another winner here for sure, though. Regards, Eagleye.

Back