270 WSM 140 accubond load?

matts318

Beginner
Mar 4, 2007
I just recently picked up a box of 140gr accubonds and would like to start working up some loads for it, what has worked for yall? I use IMR7828 with 130 B-tips with success and 4350 has also worked good but have not had good luck working up a load with the 140's, sierras what I used last time, what powder would any of you suggest as a starting point?

Also is that AccuBond good enough to use on elk? There is a good chance I will be going on an elk hunt in New Mexico this fall and was wondering if this bullet was strong enough for the task. I realize that a bigger caliber would be better but I gotta use what I got and my 308 is just to damn heavy to be carrying all day long.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I got the best groups with 61.5gn of RL-19, GM215M Primers, 2.875 COL.
Average velocity is 3018.

ok I got a range report for yall, right after i posted I decided to load up a fell shells real quick, I put 64gr of IMR 7828 and just loaded them up at what the book said for OAL and ended up getting between .6" and .9" groups at a 100 yrds, and a 1.6" group at 200 and the first 2 shots at 200yrd were almost touching, 3rd one was a flyer on me. Im sure if I worked with it a little I could get it better but I was pleasantly surprised with my results.

Anybody think it would be ok to take an elk with that AccuBond?

Matt318 I was going to suggest 57 gr of IMR 7828 which works very well for both of my 270s. Noslers book # 5 reads that 57.5 is max so be careful , your just a wee bit over laddy.

honkeetonkin":19u8fhf3 said:
Matt318 I was going to suggest 57 gr of IMR 7828 which works very well for both of my 270s. Noslers book # 5 reads that 57.5 is max so be careful , your just a wee bit over laddy.

HT, Notice Matt referenced 270WSM, so his load of IMR-7828 should be okay. Hodgdon's website shows a max of 64.5 gr with a 140 gr bullet. My favorite load in my .270WSM has been 65.0 gr of Vihtavuori N-165 with the Federal 210 primer and the 140 gr AccuBond. It has produced some unbelievable groups in my Super Shadow. Honestly, I have had good results with other powders as well, including IMR-4350, Reloder 19 and 22, and Accurate Data 86 (non cannister 3100). While the Federal 210 standard primer has provided my best groups, the Winchester Large Rifle Magnum has been almost as good. I think the .270 WSM is one of the least picky cartridges I have ever loaded for. It shoots bullets from the 90 gr Sierra HP's and Speer TNT's up through the 150 gr Ballistic Tips just fine.

I have 2 Tikka T3 LS 270WSM rifles. My wife tookover the first one so I bought another for me. I was shooting the factory Winchester Supreme 140gr AB's until I developed a load. I got some help from a fellow member off another forum and went from there.

I use 70.0gr Retumbo with Win. brass and Federal 215 GM primers with 140gr Accubonds in one rifle and the other rifle likes 71.0gr Retumbo (this is a compressed load). My hunting loads are in Winchester Supreme nickel brass.

Both rifles shoot under 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 100metres. Best is 3/8" 5 shot groups.

I just bought some 7828 (I did not look at the container @ the counter after the guy got it- I wanted 7828SSC) oh well.

I love the Accubonds. Cant wait to try the E-tips. I do have a box of 140gr TSX but I'm sticking to the AB's for now-sure wish a guy could buy the AccuBond CT's bullets to reload with here in Canada.

Also would like Accubonds for my 243 -sure would be nice!!!

I used 63 grs of RL19 and it shot .5 to .75 @ 100yards out of a winchester M70 black shadow. but I think a 150 or 160 gr Partition would work better on elk.

buckfever":3qrar5kj said:
. but I think a 150 or 160 gr Partition would work better on elk.

From what I have seen for performance with the 140gr AccuBond from a 270WSM on elk/moose/deer , I would beg to differ. I to was skeptical as I thought my 300WM with 180gr bullets (Accubonds) was what was needed. But after the past 3 seasons the 140's do their job. From my 270WSM's most shots are complete pass thru double lungs with other internal damage-furthest was a 325m shot by my wife- she did do a second shot at my request but it wasnt needed.. The elk, moose & deer dropped in their tracks with a 1 shot kill or only went 20 metres the furthest from the shot.

Not saying the 150-160 is a bad choice, but for me the 140gr AccuBond in the 270WSM is a great choice. Now if the XP3 bullet was available to reload, I would try it. But I sure like the Accubonds and didnt even reload any 140gr TSX for my 270WSM's - WHY??? I like what I see and have right now.

thanks for the responses guys, I was really surprised to see the results I got because I literally just threw them together before I left. I had the identical load with the 140 sierras and they were shooting like 3" groups, I wasnt to happy with that, Oh well I will just spot light some hogs with those. Well im gonna mess around with that load a bit and see if I cant get it to shoot a little better.

Let us know how the load development goes.

JD338

What is yalls feeling on the use of magnum primers? Right now im using the winchester magnum primers, will using a standard primer possibly give me better groups? Or would the federal 210 match be a good choice?

I use 71 grns. of Magpro w/federal 215 GM primers. 3300+ fps and sub 1/2" groups. Tried the Winchesters primers and got a little more velocity but groups opened up to 3/4"-1".

matts318":2qvfnp6s said:
What is yalls feeling on the use of magnum primers? Right now im using the winchester magnum primers, will using a standard primer possibly give me better groups? Or would the federal 210 match be a good choice?

Try the Federal Gold Match Magnum primer, GM215M.

JD338

[Try the Federal Gold Match Magnum primer, GM215M.

JD338[/quote]

I'll second that choice, and if not use the 215 Mag Primers.

ok I will have to give them a try, I got brass already loaded up and ready to load so next time I buy primers I will pick up some. Im going to load a few rounds up tonight and head out to the range tomorrow and spend a little more time on it. hopefully I can get this load shooting under a 1/2"

FWIW, in my Model 70 Super Shadow, I get the best groups with the standard Federal 210 primers, although the Winchester Magnum primers are right there with the same load. When I tried some of the Federal 215 Magnums, my group size increased noticeably. Of course, that is in my rifle, yours may be a totally different story. My point is, don't be afraid to try something because the results may surprise you in a good way. Now if Federal could make and ship enough primers so that we could buy some, that would be good for all of us.

Yeah I hear you on the primers. I found some 210 and 215GM Match in February after searching for me and a buddy so I found some I bought up 3 full cases of the 210 and 2 of the 215GM Match

well I had dissapointing results yesterday and its probably mostly my fault. My Lyman DPS 2 has been acting up, not calibrating, pours two charges then says I need to recalibrate, it literally does it every other powder charge! Well I got pissed and went inside forgetting to put the powder back in the canister and it was extremly humid that night! Best I could get was a 1.2" group, even the load that was consistently under an inch easily all day was shooting about double the group size it was before.

So Im going to get more powder tomorrow after work, I want to try retumbo or magpro but the 7828 showed a lot of promise so Im still undecided. Might try reloader 22 since I have some at home right now.

matts318,

Don't give up from one bad outing.
Sometimes we have good days, sometimes not so good days. :wink:
Try your accuracy load again the next time you go out, you might be supprised with the results. No harm in also trying some different powders.

Let us know how it goes next time out.

JD338

Back