270 WSM on Plainsgame in Zim

I agree with most everything that everybody has said.

Here are a few more thoughts to ponder.

When hunting in africa you don't go out looking for just a Kudu. You go hunting, if a big warthog shows up you shoot it. If a big waterbuck shows up you shoot it. My point is that in one day you can shoot anything from a dick-dick to an eland. If you take two rifles you will only carry one unless something happens to the other. Best be loaded for the big stuff for when the chance shows up.

The other thing to think about is that if a critter gets away from you, you still are paying for it. I'm not saying that a 270 WSM won't do it. If you are confident in your rifle, by all means take it. You couldn't of picked a better bullet for the 270 WSM and africa. A good friend of mine has been several times and he takes a 270 Win everytime and has had no problems.

Personally if I had both, I'd be taking the 338 WM as my primary gun. There is alot of stuff there that an hunt you back!

I haven't ever hunted animals in Africa, but have been there a few times while deployed and seen much of the game available. I would hesitate too much with the 270WSM with 150gr Nosler Partitions at all. I am sure the Accubonds would be just as good, but I like the PT for heavier game and think it would serve you fine up to elk sized animals, but a 338 would be better I think, in all cases. With a good 225 or 250 there isn't much I would worry about. For a two rifle combo I don't know if you could do much better, assuming you aren't tackling heavy, dangerous stuff. I have a lot of faith in the 270WSM with good bullets, it is a great round with a lot of capability. Scotty

Beretzs - while training in Oman once, some gemsbok/oryx went wandering by our field position. Dang, I wanted to grab a rifle and go hunting... :grin: Strictly off-limits is what the Omani liaison officer told me, only the Sultan of Oman and his buddies get to hunt the oryx there. Dang... I was really fired up about them, had never seen one in the wild. Not before or since.

Guy

We did a small photo safari in Kenya in 2001 and man it was awesome. Saw all kinds of animals and never pulled the trigger. It was cool to do the driving part in HMMWVs. I wanted to borrow the local wardens 375 to thin a few zebras and kudu out! Scotty

I had a friend hunt plains game back when the 270WSM was a very new introduction. He didn't even have handloads worked up, data didn't exist yet, so he took the 150gr Winchester Powerpoint factory ammo. He took some of the larger game like wildebeast and gemsbok and only had to make one follow-up shot. The few recovered bullets looked great, and those are plain cup-and-core style. I can't imagine any issues with your planned equipment.

I've never been to Africa, but it does seem that a lot of "what it is," is because of what it was made to be from decades passed.

Friend of mine took his two boys to Africa, ages 12 and 10 at the time I believe.

They both used the same custom .270 Winchester that their Dad used when he was a boy on the dark continent. No issues with the .270 Win, so I fail to see why the .270 WSM would be a problem. Shoot, and shoot a lot, before you go and know your bullet's trajectory and be able to place your shot where you want to. Also be willing to pass on a shot if you're not confident you can make it. If you can do that you will be fine I think.

I've never hunted Africa, yet. It's been on my list for years but grew up around people that hunted there often.

I have been to Africa two times, now planning a third. First time I brought two rifles a .333jeffery + a .270Wea. The .270wea was devastating. Everything just dropped in their tracks up to Gembok(oryx) size. Just flatten ém sometimes at very long range(400 yards). Bullet I used was a 150grain Nosler Par. Didn´t bring the .270Wea the second time which I deeply regretted. Next time(next year) I´ll take my .270Wea loaded up with again with Nosler Par + 180grain Woodleigh. A 150grain .277cal loaded up 3300 ft/sec electricutes everything. I wished Nosler would bring out their ALR sooner than March 2013 so I would have a chance to test it and perhaps bring a few loads to Africa with that new bullet.

The 180 Woodleigh would carry considerable punch. What sort of velocities are you getting with that bullet?

Rigby, how do the 180's shoot in your Weatherby? Why the switch up to the Woodleighs?

I haven´t yet shot any game with th 180grain Woodleighs. I wanted to add versatility to the .270Wea by using such a heavy-for-caliber bullet.
69grain Norma MRP.
COL: 83,5mm.
Norma Brass.
Fed .215
Velocity: 915 m/sec(3002 Ft/sec)
Barrellength: 27" Lilja.
Twist 1:10
I hope to try it on game next time in africa. This time on Eland + Kudu in the Kalahari.
The 150grain Nosler Par will however remain my mainstay for longrange gazelle hunting for this has proved too good.

I believe the .270WSM could benefit with such heavy bullet aswell.

QL projects 2900+ fps with the 180 grain Woodleigh PP in my 270WSM; that is 3334 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. By using other powders, I can up that velocity considerably, though the game wouldn't notice any significant difference in energy dissipated on impact.

Back