277 Wolverine

264 Win Mag

Beginner
Nov 13, 2004
I have finally taken the plunge and started building an upper for my AR15 in a wildcat cartridge. Have loaded for lots of cartridges in the past but this is my first wildcat. I have never worked with something I could not lookup in one of my many manuals or run through Quickload before. I am curious to know if anybody has worked with the 277 Wolverine with regards to working up loads with any Hodgdon, Alliant, or IMR powders, as that's what I have on hand. On the designers forum there is lots of information regarding loads but it centers on Accurate brand powders 1680, 2200, 5744, and Alliant 1200-R. I have none of these powders on the shelf and don't expect I will be able to acquire them in the next six months or so. Also I have plenty of powder and don't feel the need to buy another one at this time, especially at these prices, to satisfy one cartridge.
I have an 18" 1:11 twist barrel and 200 factory second 110gr. Hornady V-Max bullets. For powders with a similar burn rate to those above I have on my shelf Hodgdon H4227 and Alliant Reloader 7.
Any direction from those with wildcat experience is greatly appreciated.
Thomas

I built both my dad and I wolverines on ar15s. It’s a fun little cartridge. The nosler solid based bonded 90gr is an excellent bullet for the Wolverine. It is what I shot 90% of the time. I have a bunch of data I’ve gotten off the mad dog forum too. That 90 gr nosler is a good deer bullet too.

4f0805c23c11d91f8c4e286ff47e7411.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":b6jocxdj said:
I built both my dad and I wolverines on ar15s. It’s a fun little cartridge. The nosler solid based bonded 90gr is an excellent bullet for the Wolverine. It is what I shot 90% of the time. I have a bunch of data I’ve gotten off the mad dog forum too. That 90 gr nosler is a good deer bullet too.

4f0805c23c11d91f8c4e286ff47e7411.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw your handle when I searched the forums for 277 Wolverine. I had hoped to use some of the 90gr bullets to start load development but as with many components they are all out of stock at this time. Thanks for your chart. Your use of Alliant 1200-R for the 110gr Hornady V-Max has reinforced my lean towards Alliant Reloader 7 to start off my load development. Will be keeping my eyes out for Accurate 1680 but not holding my breath.
Thomas

With all the shortages not sure which will come together first, the rifle or the ammo. Crazy times!
With the manufactures making record amounts of components there has to be a mountain of them out there in peoples personal stockpiles.
As always this shall pass.
Thomas

Back