Bell & Carlson stock (Freedom Green)
Pac Nor Barrel
24"
11deg Crown
1:8 Twist
#3 Contour
SAAMI 280 Ack
IMG_0230.jpg
My goal is to use RL26, but I have some options. I should also have enough Nosler brass to last the life of the barrel (I have 250 pcs, but 50 are already loaded)
IMG_0232.jpg
And I'm using Redding competition seating, and full length sizing dies.

Really can't wait to take it to the range, but I'm going to take my time. First thing will be barrel brake-in. I think I won't start my accuracy testing until I get once fired brass to work with.
:mrgreen:

It's nice when it all finally comes together, congrats :) I really like the color of that stock. Bet it shoots great and that 1 in 8 twist should be able to handle those high b.c. 7mm bullets that are the rage these days......

NW that is a very good looking rifle & looks to be done up just about perfect (y)! I was wondering 1-8 twist what weight & make of bullet are you going to be using in that rig?
Thank you for the post, I am sure looking forward to your range reports with photos I hope :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Superb components and a sharp looking build. Can't see that disappointing. Congratulations. Looking forward to your range reports.

sask boy":2jdl37lp said:
I was wondering 1-8 twist what weight & make of bullet are you going to be using in that rig?

Blessings,
Dan

It's throated for 168 grain Berger vld's. But of course you don't need a 1:8 twist for those. I wanted to keep some flexibility to shoot the 168 grain Barns LRX, which does require a 1:8. Not quite sure about the 175 grain Nos ABLR, but those are pretty long.

Maybe some day I might try the 195 Berger VLD too, but the 280ai doesn't really have enough horse power for those.

I don't feel like I answered that question. :) So I'll just say, I wanted to keep some flexibility for shooting longer bullets. A 1:9 would obviously cover just about everything, I just didn't want to have any regrets later.

That is a gorgeous looking and obviously very well thought out rifle. I like it, I like it a lot! I'm really tickled with my 280 Ackley and I bet you are going to be as well.

David

Congratulations on your build. You are going to have fun with the 280AI.
FWIW, the min twist rate for the 175 gr ABLR is 1:9.
Your 1:8 twist should handle the heavy weights well.

JD338

Good looking rifle. I had my twist little long also and it does help with the Bergers and 1/8 twist should help. I don't think their making it yet but Berger twist calculator the have a 7mm 170gr EOL Elite Hunter bullet list now and it's little longer than 168gr VLD.

Good time to be shooting a 280AI.

Beautiful rifle. Looks really well set up and made for just about any hunting.

Can't wait to see some groups from it.

That is a beautiful rifle! I have had the best luck by far with rl-26 and 7828. Rl-22 has produced a few great groups as well. Best of luck to you.

Nice looking rifle. I like the fast twist. Anxious to see how it shoots for you.

Congratulations

JohnB

I like your rifle it turned out fine. Will be looking for your range report!

Ya - I agree with all these positive comments. That's quite a rifle!

Nicely done - and it should prove to be very useful over the years.

Looking forward to the range & field reports!

Guy

Back