280 Ackley Quickload request...for a my first ever build....

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Hey all it seems I'm always asking for help here, I very much appreciate it. I have found some amazing loads from yawl's help. I'm pretty excited about this adventure, I'm gathering stuff for building a 280 AI, I don't want to long a barrel but not too short either. I'm either going with a 24 or 25 inch barrel. My primary goal is 8lbs scoped. Twist is up in the air, I can't decide on a 8 or 9 twist. I will never shoot any bullets over the 168 weight and never any less than the 140. My primary focus on bullets will be the 150 AccuBond, 160 AccuBond, 154 Interbond and possibly the barnes 145 LRX. I may venture out to the 165 tipped gamechanger as well.
I will be using Nosler 280 AI brass mostly and fireformed remington 280 rem. as backup. I have R23, R26, R19, R17. Most likely will focus on 23 and 26. I can't find much data out there on them so if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it. I have some friends really loving R23 with various bullets, 162 ELD-X, and 168 ABLR. If you have any advice on twist, barrel lengths, etc let me know. thanks
Randy

I built a 280AI on a blueprinted 700 action, Tubb recoil lug, Hart 24" #5 contour fluted 1:9 twist and pillar bedded in a LSS stock. She shoots lights out with everything from 120 gr BT to 168 gr ABLRs. Best group ever was with the 168 gr ABLR going .056" c/c at 100 yards.
A 1:9 twist should be fine for the bullets you are going to run.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20170409_135110985.jpg
    IMG_20170409_135110985.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 684
Your gonna like the 280 Ackley.
Unless you already have it, and its entirely your choice, but Id stay away from the Nosler brass. Your fireformed R-P 280 brass will serve you better. If your going to be purchasing it brand new, then Id strongly recommend picking up some Peterson. Its equal to or better than Lapua and cheaper than the Nosler.

Now, I found these on the internet for you because like you, I was looking for a starting point using RL-23 and RL-26. From what I can gather and have read, the 26 will probably be better for the heavier grain bullets.

Good Luck and happy shooting with your new build.

sSdGcC.jpg

7PXsL6.jpg

P8V7Ky.jpg

I'd take a hard look at using Peterson brass...Nosler quality is unpredictable for their brass, one batch might be great, the next might be trash.... I've got 2 boxes of trash.

https://www.petersoncartridge.com/match-grade-brass/

Reloder 26 is hard to beat.

8 pounds scoped might be a hard target to hit unless you use a really thin barrel, an ultralight stock, and a pretty small scope...all of which can make a rifle harder to shoot accurately for some people.

Mine is 9.25 pounds loaded and ready to hunt....24 inch magnum contour barrel with an ultralight stock and a Zeiss HD5 scope.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

As several have stated already PETERSON BRASS is some really good stuff!! I see Jim used IMR7828SSC in his 280AI. That is what I use in mine also. I had my rifle made with a 24" long barrel with a 1-9 twist. It shoots very well and I sure like it. Recoil is pretty mild considering the performance you get. 140 gr. Partitions at 3230 fps and 140 gr. Accubonds at 3186 fps. The AccuBond is what I used on my grizzly bear in the fall of 2019.

We probably should see us some pictures to this sweet thing that you have!!

David

As several have stated already PETERSON BRASS is some really good stuff!! I see Jim used IMR7828SSC in his 280AI. That is what I use in mine also. I had my rifle made with a 24" long barrel with a 1-9 twist. It shoots very well and I sure like it. Recoil is pretty mild considering the performance you get. 140 gr. Partitions at 3230 fps and 140 gr. Accubonds at 3186 fps. The AccuBond is what I used on my grizzly bear in the fall of 2019.

We probably should see us some pictures to this sweet thing that you have!!

David

Thanks guys for the responses, I'm building off a tikka t3 action, as I mentioned if I can keep it the same weight as a magnum tikka I'd love it. I'm doing the same barrel contour as the tikka t3x lite. As I recall that's just over .600 of an inch. I guess that's close to a #3 contour. I'm going with a X-caliber barrel, all of my friends who have built with them love them, they are not the best of the best but all that my friends swear by them. For now I'm using a new t3x take off stock and may eventually when more funds come a different stock. If I could find a tikka laminate or walnut I'd that, but they ones on Ebay are pricey. I will probably scope it up with a VX3 3.5-10x40. I'm excited to give it a whirl.

rmarshall":256f0dbf said:
Thanks guys for the responses, I'm building off a tikka t3 action, as I mentioned if I can keep it the same weight as a magnum tikka I'd love it. I'm doing the same barrel contour as the tikka t3x lite. As I recall that's just over .600 of an inch. I guess that's close to a #3 contour. I'm going with a X-caliber barrel, all of my friends who have built with them love them, they are not the best of the best but all that my friends swear by them. For now I'm using a new t3x take off stock and may eventually when more funds come a different stock. If I could find a tikka laminate or walnut I'd that, but they ones on Ebay are pricey. I will probably scope it up with a VX3 3.5-10x40. I'm excited to give it a whirl.

Sounds awesome. Just a thought might also consider the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold. It's a great scope also. Almost exactly the same with and length as the 3.5-10 you speak of. In our family there are two of those scopes and both have the B&C reticle. Love that reticle. It is simple, fast, and easy to use once you have verified everything at 100-200-300-400-500 yards.

Sounds like a fun project! Although all the bullets you listed will be fine in a 9 twist, they will also be fine in an 8 twist and someday you may want to shoot a bullet that needs a faster twist. I built a 25-06 with a 9 twist a few years ago and now there are new bullets that need a faster twist that i would like to try and can't.

RL 26 and 150gr AB work great in my regular 280 Rem, fast and very accurate. 150's and 160gr AB with RL 26 should be awesome in your 280 AI.

Both of my 280 AI are built on 8 twist barrels and at this point in time I wouldn't even consider a 9 twist barrel. I use 160 NAB and RL-23 in mine.

Sounds like a fun project. Lot of good advice given. RL-23 / 26 should work well above 150 grains, but as you noted there isn't much data out their. Powders are a little new for inclusion into a lot of books / cartridge recipes.

RL-17 should work well below 160 grains and RL-19 should do well to your limit of 168 grains and or beyond. Nosler lists some data with 17 and 19. I think the 10th edition Hornady book lists some Alliant powders for their bullets.

Nothing wrong on the fireformed RP brass, I use it my self. Peterson has been great in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Either the 1in8 or 9 twist will work well for you. The 1in8 gives growth opportunity towards heavier bullets / longer range shooting if your situation changes down the road and that twist does well down to 140 grains from my experience.

I generally shoot 154 SST, 162 SST and 160 Accubonds through mine.

Back