280 AI & 160 AB work up.

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Well it has been an interesting two days thats for sure. I have been using WLRM primers in my 280 AI and they were just to hot. I was a full grain and a half under nosler book max and was losing brass after two firings. Switched back to the Fed 210 and things got better. Groups are about the same, but not near the psi problems.
100_3288.jpg
This was the first group I got with 60 Gr 7828 and the WLRM primers. I got pretty excited. Took that same three brass and reloaded it again to make sure the primers fit snug. They were not super tight but tight enough I felt. Next group with the same load goes .396" and the primers almost fall out. :? I made a few phone calls to a few friends that know more than me and they all said to switch back to the 210 that the WLRM is the hottest primer out there and could be causing my problem.

100_3289.jpg
So I loaded up starting low and working up with the 210. This was the best group I got. Measures just over half inch. Getting 2960 with a SD of 16. 60.5 gr. of 7828 gave me a group just under an inch at 2995 fps with a SD of 17. Both were shot at .015" off the lands. 61 gr. was to hot and the case heads expanded and I got some way high fps, so I won't be going any higher. I'll clean her all up and try tweaking with COAL on the 60 and 60.5 grn loads tomorrow. Thanks everybody for all the help and advise.

I learned a cool little trick about finding out if your to hott or not. I wasn't getting any of the normal signs like extractor marks or sticky bolt lift, but I was to hot. A friend of mine told me to take my calipers to the range and measure the case head before and after each shot. All measured .470" to start and all but the 61 gr. measured the same after. The three cases that had 61gr. "grew" by .005" of an inch on that firing. I checked the ones that the primers fell out of and they were .483"!

Jake, those groups look awesome and you are getting 7mm Rem Mag speed out of it!. I think my load, right now with 66gr's of RL22 in my 24" barreled 7RM is only right at 3K also, and my groups aren't as good as yours. Congrats on the rifle, sounds like you are doing well with it. Can't wait to see the finished rifle. Scotty

Jake

Nice shooting! You have a great load with excellent accuracy! Get he sighted in at 200 yds and you are g=ready to go hunt!

Good job!

JD338

Great groups and velocity. Was wondering if you chrono any of the loads with mag primers?

As I mentioned in the other post I chrono some loads using Mag/LR primers.

I had my 280AI throated alittle long and used a 27" long barrel rifle weights with scope right at 9lbs.

This you might find interesting.

60.5gr/IMR-7828ssc @ 3058fps with Fed 210M and 160gr AB

60.5gr/IMR-7828ssc @ 3094fps with Fed 215M and 160gr AB

56gr/R-17 @ 3046fps with Fed 210M and 160gr AB

56gr/R-17 @ 3111fps with Fed 215M and 160gr AB

I measure CHE also and I topped out @ 3172fps with IMR-7828ssc and 3165fps with R-17.

I haven't settle on a load yet or bullets just been having some fun shooting that rifle.

Well did a bit of work at the range today and got the 200, 300, and 400 gongs sat up and painted. Them proceeded to blast all the paint off of them with 160 ABs! Turns out I'm about six inches low at 300 and about 14 inches low at 400. Funny thing, where my reticle gets fat happens to be the same amount of elevation I need for a 400 yard holdover point! Now if I can just find a critter to get it broke in propper!

jmad_81":18todanx said:
Well did a bit of work at the range today and got the 200, 300, and 400 gongs sat up and painted. Them proceeded to blast all the paint off of them with 160 ABs! Turns out I'm about six inches low at 300 and about 14 inches low at 400. Funny thing, where my reticle gets fat happens to be the same amount of elevation I need for a 400 yard holdover point! Now if I can just find a critter to get it broke in propper!
You are golden Jake!

Time to go hunt. :grin:

JD338

I wish you luck getting that 280AI broke in proper! Sounds like you are killing it right now. Glad it is working out so well for you. Scotty

Jake,

Have you clocked your loads yet? If you are close to 3000 fps, you will have a nice flat shooting and hard hitting load for deer, bear and elk. Accuracy looks great!

JD338

Jim they are cooking along at 2960fps. Thinking about retrying the RL-22. Found a target that was pretty impressive with it the other day, but was a bit on the hot side with the WLRM primmer.
Took My wife, a girlfriend, and a buddy shooting tonight and it made me look pretty good smacking the 300 yard gong then the 400 gong twice in a total of three shots off shooting sticks.

Jake,

Good idea to revisit RL 22 with a large rifle primer.
Nice job hitting the gongs.

JD338

Nice shooting JMAd. That is an awesome load. Most 7mm RM's are doing well to get that kind of speed, and you are getting great accuracy! Scotty

Back