280 AI Nosler Ammo

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Beginner
Feb 5, 2009
Anyone have any Nosler factory ammo in 280AI? Im ordering a barrel and I need a neck measurement. I want to order it as tight as possible without having to turn them.

Thanks!!

Not sure exactly what a 7AI is, but I am thinking 7mm Mauser AI.
What is the parent cartridge?

JD338

I have a 280AI and I have Nosler 280AI brass. What exactly are you looking for?

JD338

Sorry, all I have is new unloaded Nosler brass.

JD338

I have a NCR in 280ai and HAD Nosler foctory loaded 280ai ammo but now it's re-loaded ammo because I shot all of it. :grin:
I can give you neck diameters for re-loaded ammo with 140 ab's, 120Ab's and (Nosler will shoot me for this) 154gr Hornady IB's.
I can post the measurements tomorrow when I get home if that would help you out.

Idaho Elk Hunter.

I have two boxes of Nosler Custom .280 AI that came with my Nosler Custom Rifle. ALL cartridges measured .310"

Hope that helps.

Jerry 919
Bend,Oregon

Idaho_Elk_Huntr,

New Nosler 280AI brass measures .308", neck thickness is .0125".
Resized loaded brass measures .310" and fire formed to my chamber is .317".

Hope this helps.

JD338

Be careful with those real tight chamber dimensions. I understand getting a boost in accuracy, but in a hunting rifle, a little room for various bullets and brass and even factory loaded ammo is a good thing.

I shoot a .308 Win in competition, and thought I wanted a real tight chamber. The builder, a former 1000 yard record holder, talked me out of that and into using a "Palma" chamber which is tighter than normal, but still accepts factory ammo, as well as every case & bullet combo I've crafted. It's worked out so well for me, I think I'm on my third or fourth barrel chambered the same.

It's still tight enough that I can just neck-size my cartridges, even though I load to max levels for long-range competition.

Just food for thought for anyone contemplating a real tight chamber - it may not be necessary, and may be more trouble than it's worth.

Guy

Guy,

You bring up a very valid point!
My 280 AI has a very tight chamber and it is very picky with brass manufactures. So NEW brass won't fit, I can't close the bolt on it!

JD338

JD338":34rws6vp said:
Guy,

You bring up a very valid point!
My 280 AI has a very tight chamber and it is very picky with brass manufactures. So NEW brass won't fit, I can't close the bolt on it!

JD338

Your other post mention using new Nolser 280AI brass is that the brass your having problems with? My new Nolser 280AI loaded neck dia is .310" and fireform same as yours .317".

Yes, Nosler and Win brass wont chamber, Remington brass is fine. The sticking point is the web area of the brass, not the neck. A small bade die might fix the problem but they don't exist for 280 AI so I would have to have a custom die from Redding and it will cost about $150.

The Nosler brass is in spec, nothing wrong with it. The chamber was cut off R-P brass long before Nosler got into offering brass. I have discussed this with my gunsmith and he will open up the chamber to accommodate Nosler and Winchester brass but it shoots so well I hate to mess with it. I am just using R-P brass and I am a happy camper.

JD338

If velocity is the primary concern, why not just get a Rem. 7mm mag and load it down to 280 A.I. velocities? They cost less to start with.
I hear the 7mm Rem. mag is "minute of most game animal" accurate. What is the draw of the 280 AI?
Just Asking cause I don't know.
Greg

JD338":32pha3su said:
Yes, Nosler and Win brass wont chamber, Remington brass is fine. The sticking point is the web area of the brass, not the neck. A small bade die might fix the problem but they don't exist for 280 AI so I would have to have a custom die from Redding and it will cost about $150.

The Nosler brass is in spec, nothing wrong with it. The chamber was cut off R-P brass long before Nosler got into offering brass. I have discussed this with my gunsmith and he will open up the chamber to accommodate Nosler and Winchester brass but it shoots so well I hate to mess with it. I am just using R-P brass and I am a happy camper.

JD338
Nothing wrong with R-P brass.

If velocity is the primary concern, why not just get a Rem. 7mm mag and load it down to 280 A.I. velocities? They cost less to start with.
I hear the 7mm Rem. mag is "minute of most game animal" accurate. What is the draw of the 280 AI?
Greg

The 280AI compared to the 7mm is like comparing a '65 Ford GT500 Mustang to a '65 Chevy Corvette. Just a matter of preference. I like the 280AI and the Corvette. Just not as common as the " 7mm mag"

There is also the major cool factor that goes with the 280 AI. 8)

JD338

Greg Nolan":1ajtb2ld said:
Greg

I have 2 7mm Mags and dont need another. Im trying to choose between the AI and the STW. Im thinking AI

Back