.280 bullet for mule deer

Having never owned a .280 I certainly can not pass judgement on the caliber, (though I did own its big brother the 7 Rem Mag for about 10 years) However having watched our clients over the years with them , I have not seen ANY caliber that worked more perfectly on Caribou, and Dahl Sheep or Big Whitetails, as a .280 does!! Just seams to fill that 150/400 lb animal size, perfectly so I couldn't imagine anyone not liking the .280? Just how much an AB bullet really adds to it I couldn't really say, but if I were going to hunt Elk or Moose with it I would certainly look at the AB bullets. However the 35 Whelen ,would most likely be what I was lugging for either of them. Good Luck with it .

Gil deer pictures are great ! Thanks for posting them, some real beautys right there! (y)

The 280 calibre is the most under rated calibre out there. I have no worries with shooting the 150gr ABLR out of my 280AI at any of the big animals here in Saskatchewan :wink:.
We have some of the biggest Whitetails in North America and as big as they get I have seen some Muleys that dwarf the biggest of the Whitetails.
I have 3 boxes of factory Nosler 140gr ABs and if I lost my 150gr some how, I have total confidence in the factory 140grs..

PS. Gil I have heard a few stories of your Mule deer hunts with DrMike and from the versions I heard you have been very lucky to have DrMike with you :shock:! Lol

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3tolhk26 said:
PS. Gil I have heard a few stories of your Mule deer hunts with DrMike and from the versions I heard you have been very lucky to have DrMike with you :shock:! Lol

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

I do wish you hadn't mentioned this. Gil is very sensitive about the help I give him. It is something I simply don't speak of often because he is so sensitive. My trusty native guide wants to think that he can do it all himself. Were it not for me, his loyal companion, he might not every get anything; but I'm too kind to make a great deal about it. So, ixnay on the torysay; they are to be rivatepay. (y)

Gil my friend :) those 2 Mule Deer are true monarchs in any province (y)!
Congratulations Bud.

Blessings,
Dan

140 gr AB is the goods in a 280 Rem! I also have a load made up for mine with a 140 gr Barnes TTSX for an all around load.

tecumseh":1pqchb71 said:
140 gr AB is the goods in a 280 Rem! I also have a load made up for mine with a 140 gr Barnes TTSX for an all around load.

I always sorta thought the 140 would be the magic in the 280 Rem as well. Plenty of speed and a solid bullet. Really about the same as a 130 in a 270 right? :p

SJB358":3my8noev said:
tecumseh":3my8noev said:

I always sorta thought the 140 would be the magic in the 280 Rem as well. Plenty of speed and a solid bullet. Really about the same as a 130 in a 270 right? :p

That would be......uuhhhh.......correct! (y)

Given the same construction, their on game performance is indistinguishable.

Those are fabulous mule deer!

Back