.280 bullet for mule deer

BF375":3kjrpf5b said:
DrMike: I have never hunted the BC side but understand it is excellent as well. Maybe one of these seasons I will get over there. You just have to love the Peace River country.

It's pretty danged hard for a guy that loves hunting BG to not fall in love with that country I bet. :)

I've been running the Speer 145 grand slam on the mild side (book loads in a mauser 98, it could go warmer if I needed it to) over 4350 for some years now on big-bodied Northwoods whitetail. It does everything it needs to from broadside to quartering shoulder. I'm currently hunting pretty tight cover, max possible shot 200 yards on one pipeline easement, most closer. Your 140 AB should do the same with a better BC. If it groups, shoot with confidence. I've tagged deer mostly inside 80 yards with one at 125. All were pass-throughs with good expansion. 2 were over 200 pounds with heavy coat, muscle and fat. That cartridge really likes 4350!

The 280 and the 140 gr AB?

You would be very hard pressed and have to search long and hard to find a better mule deer cartridge/bullet combination! Regardless of whether it was a mule deer in Mexico, or the large bodied mule deer that hang out in the Peace River country of Alberta and BC.

I have shot two large bodied mule deer over the years that would go 400-450 lbs live weight, in the peak of the rut. Both deer were more than two or three grown men could do to load into the back of a pickup with out added assistance or mechanical advantage. Both were old bucks aged between 8-10 years old and had racks measuring 186" and just shy of 205" B&C. The first was harvested with the 140 gr AB in the 270 Win, while the latter was finally harvested with the STW and the 160 AB.

I did harvest a bull elk at just over 100 yards 3 years ago with my new 280 and the 140 gr AB. A follow up shot was used, to provide a quick, clean harvest to limit the animal's suffering, but he did not go more than 10 yards from where he was first shot, and was not going any further.

As is quite often the case, the good Dr.Mike was my partner in crime on that adventure!

Blkram: Not many places a guy can take bucks of that quality! Which is why I liked that country so much.

Blkram":x2694vas said:
I have shot two large bodied mule deer over the years that would go 400-450 lbs live weight, in the peak of the rut. Both deer were more than two or three grown men could do to load into the back of a pickup with out added assistance or mechanical advantage. Both were old bucks aged between 8-10 years old and had racks measuring 186" and just shy of 205" B&C. The first was harvested with the 140 gr AB in the 270 Win, while the latter was finally harvested with the STW and the 160 AB.

That is amazing that mule deer can get that large, but I do absolutely believe it's possible. Back when I was in High School we happened upon a couple guys who had a 5x5 bull elk (a young bull) and a huge 5 point mule deer buck in the back of the pickup both whole! The mule deer buck did not look very much smaller in body size than the bull elk. It was very impressive.

Montana FWP has a book they produce called Montana big-game trophies and they list a section with the greatest weights in pounds for Montana Big Game and list the critters both WHOLE weight and DRESSED weight. These weights were reportedly taken on certified scales. Whole weight is listed as either from alive animal or a dead and uncut animal. Dressed weight is an animal with head, skin, and feet attached and the complete viscera removed.

They list our heaviest mule deer ever recorded as follows.
Mule deer whole: 453 pounds
Mule deer dressed: 340

That's just amazing to me. Blkram I would love to see a picture of those bucks. That's just incredible and I can imagine you guys were shocked when you walked up on them.

David

Man, those are some monster bucks. Couldn't imagine a 400lb'er. What a toad!

My .280 shows a strong preference for the 150 E Tip, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the 140 AB/BT either. I've killed a lot of critters with the 115 grain BT from my 25/06 so I have no qualms about the 280 doing the job.

The 140 AB will do just fine for you if you do your part from behind the rifle......I wouldn't even hesitate with that bullet. If it is grouping good on paper, just go out and Get'er'Done...Likely a Bang Flop deal....

My dad killed a fairly large member of the deer family with a single 140 grain AccuBond at about 225 yards.

image_zpsxnaeqkin.jpeg

Not a .280, but the little brother, a 7mm-08. MV around 2850, the bullet exited. The bull staggered about 30 yards and fell over.

So yeah, bring on a big mulie.

P

I need to figure out this photo bucket thing to share the pics of these two big mulies.

I know that I had no real idea how large they were when I first shot them, and was very happy with both on getting to put my hands on them!

The real surprise was when I went to move them and load them! These grain fed deer really pack on the weight in the late fall, and we're both harvested early in the rut (second week of November).

Pity you don't know anyone who could post those photos, Gil. :roll: Attach the photos you want posted in an Email, and I'll post them for you. (y)

BlkRam (Gil) asked that a few pictures of some of the mulies he has tagged over the past several years be posted. He will be along eventually to give a summary of the hunts for these deer. They are representative of some of what we see in this AO.

Gil's wife, Susan, with the mulie in the first picture.

Having trouble getting pictures to load in Photobucket this evening. However, this is another of Gil's mulies.

A mount.

Not bad for the lad.

The first two photos are of "Homeboy", 204 7/8 B&C, harvested within a half mile of the farmhouse where we lived in 2010.
For comparison, I'm 6'2" and weighed 320 lbs at the time. My wife Susan is a hair under 5'10" tall.
The third photo is from 1999 and that buck scored 186 B&C. And last is the '99 buck after mounting and winning 2nd at a taxidermist competition in 2000 in the States, and 1st place and tied for Best of Show, shoulder mount category at the National Taxidermist Competition in the States after some minor touch ups. My deer travelled more than I did that year!

There are some nice mule deer in this area, Scotty. Love the Roman nose on that first one.

Back