280 questions

6thtexas

Beginner
Feb 14, 2005
A couple of questions concerning the .280- I've heard that the 120 gr. BT has a tough jacket for its weight and size. How good would it do for open country deer hunting in the 280? How bad is it about bloodshooting meat? My 2nd question is why is the 280 data in the last Nosler manual or two or three given for a 26" barrel? Wouldn't a 22" or 24" have been a bit more applicable?

Thanks in advance.

6thtexas,

I shoot the 120 gr BT in my 7x30 Waters. I have thought of trying it in my M700 Classic 280 Rem but haven't done so. I use the 140 gr BT for WT Deer and Caribou with excellent results. Most of the deer have dropped in their tracks.

Regards,

JD338

I have asked Nosler the same questions regarding barrel lengths. Never got an answer, not sure why.

My son used 120 BT for deer and antelope out of his 7m-08. Lighter loads shooting about 2700fps. No problems with passthru and no big holes or blood shot meat. Now with 30-06 and 7mm with 150 BT my other son and I had holes the size of baseballs and if the bullet went thru a shoulder it was lost. I am a firm advocate of the 280 caliber but for deer, using the 280, I think the 120 BT is way too light. BT's are really not going to hold together well over about 2800fps. And if you load down low enough to keep your fps that low (out of the 280) you really are on the low end regarding case capacity.

Long

Thanks for the replies. But what I keep hearing is from some folks that shoot it in a .280 is that the 120BT has a heavier jacket than the 140. Why this should be I don't know. I've reposted these two questions on the Reloading section in hopes some technical type from Nosler would maybe answer.

It is my understanding they did indeed "beef up" the 120 BT so it would handle the "rams" better. In fact, I hear from those who've sectioned them, they are quite a bit "tougher"(thicker jacket) than the 140's! FWIW

Based on that, I would think they should do more than "just fine" on deer sized animals at reasonable ranges(in fact a guy that posts on another forum, I frequent uses them exclusivly in a 7mm Mag).

I have used the 120 and 140 grain bullets for deer and ground hog in several 7mm's.7x30 ,7=08 and the 280 Remington,They(120's) can be a little explosive on close shots.The 140's seem to be a little more accurate for long shots.

jhalcott":2yhjpgg3 said:
I have used the 120 and 140 grain bullets for deer and ground hog in several 7mm's.7x30 ,7=08 and the 280 Remington,They(120's) can be a little explosive on close shots.The 140's seem to be a little more accurate for long shots.

Was this recently(the 120's "blew up"? Reason I ask is the heavier jackets are a fairly recent addition to them. I'm sure Nosler could say just when, but I don't think you'll see that problem with the newer ones IMHO.

Ace ,I bought several 1000 7mm bullets before I retired 5 years ago.Some were new and some were from an old friend that had them for years.Not all Noslers either! :oops: Sorry i can't be more help. :cry:

jhalcott":2r9g721n said:
Ace ,I bought several 1000 7mm bullets before I retired 5 years ago.Some were new and some were from an old friend that had them for years.Not all Noslers either! :oops: Sorry i can't be more help. :cry:

Thanks jhalcott! I was curious if some "older/thinner jackets" had "slipped through" . Since seeing some pics of sectioned 120's and 140's(BT) , I was very surprised that the 120's do look MUCH heavier in the jackets!(on the newer ones that is) :grin:

My wife's Encore 7mm-08 loves them 120's with Varget(scary accurate), so we'll have to let her try 'em on deer this fall! :)

Ace ,take a tall kitchen trash bag and take it to the range .Fill it about half way with saw dust/kitty litter or news paper. Add water till every thing in the bag is wet.Try to make a "lump" about the size of a deer. Have your wife (or you ) shoot it.this will give you some idea of the exit wound and penetration you will get. I put 2 of these on a bench at 100 yards ,one behind the other, and got complete penetration with 150's in the 280. I have also used soaked phone books to do the same thing. Our baltimore phone books are about 2" thick .I have penetrated 16-18 inches of these with some calibers and x bullets.

For deer I would say a 140 is just the ticket in the 280.

Back