280 ross

bagograss

Beginner
Nov 25, 2016
Hi I just stared loading for my m10. I reformed 300 win mag to 280 ross and that worked great. I noticed that there was some disscution on here about the 280 ross and I'm wondering if anyone has some load data using imr 4350 in the 280?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Did you turn the belt off? I didn't realize one could use a belted case to make a Ross?

Nope I keep the belt on. I used 52gr imr 4350 to fire form and the belt is pretty much the right size. The case expands to the belt size.

d17bd3523d0b5d54109449e45aa05df1.jpg

The belted is the 300 win after sizing not fire formed yet. And the other cases are 280 ross

Well I'll be! I would have never guessed one could do such a thing! I am always amazed at human ingenuity...are you sure your are not of German descent ( brilliant minds in all things engineering,etc) ? lol
I have McBrides book on using the 280 ross as a sniper in WW1....I always figured it was Jim Dandy for that use....will be watching Pard!

Not sure if I'm German or not but I do work on some vw's every now and then haha. Do you know if dupont #10 is the same as imr 4350?

Its thought that IMR is about 5% faster than the older Dupont...something about the way they made up the nitrocellulose thingy. As far as #10 goes I'm not quite sure. Heck drop back 15% and work up! Since you formed that big taper, the case capacity should be pretty close to the old 7x61 Sharp & hart, maybe even the 7mm Rem Mag?

Thanks for the info. I'm loading at 54 grs so far and no signs of over pressure primer showing almost low pressure. This is the load data I have for it.
3ffb0af43a267b3fc69cd102ac6686f6.jpg
2d24c69319fd6d49a15faddad70f3cef.jpg

Very interesting. It may be worth getting an internal H20 capacity and one of the smart folks on here could assist you with your load work. Very cool stuff! That 280 Ross is a monster of a case.

I'm just curious but just for grins how about sectioning one so we can see the web area. That's a lot of expansion to erase the belt. Maybe a before and after picture with measurements. (y)

So this is from wiki it says the case compacity is 72 gr h2o
33e4420b723ff22a5c610201670dd1be.jpg

My concern is the thickness of the brass in front of the web. That brass has to come from somewhere to blow it out even with the belt. Just curious and trying to learn since everything I've read says to turn the belt off.

So I cut one in half. It was fired once in a 300 then I sized it to 280 fired with 52gr imr 4350 then reloaded with 54gr imr 4350 and this is it. I'm not sure what I should be looking for does this look ok?
ba3130a47b7e41a7b6f0eb3e3520e8ed.jpg

The bur from cutting the case makes it hard to see in the pictures but you would look for a ring or doughnut effect just above the web area where the case head could separate from the casing which is common in most magnum cases when they are stretched from multiple loadings.
I do see what looks like they didn't completely expand out to the belt since the belt is still slightly visible. It is very interesting to see how it expanded.
Thanks for the picture.

I've heard of using belted cases for making the Newton cases before as well. Everything looks good from what I can see. Can't wait to see some targets. Very cool project.

Back