280 vs 280 ackly????

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I found a nice mauser 98 action with unchambered 7mm barrel and am trying to decide what to do with it. I think it is an argentina mauser and I'm not sure of the barrel make but it is a nice light contour. I'm either going to have it blued go 280 and drop it into a nice wood stock topped with a leupold vxII 2-7 and make a gift to my dad out of it or go 280 ackly, have it parkerized and drop it into a b&C carbelite and keep it. The second way will probably be cheaper in the long run.

How does the 280 compare to the 280 ackly is it worth the effort or just slightly higher numbers on a ballistic readout. What do you guys think?

If I didn't have an 06 and 7 mag, I wouldn't hesitate to make a 280 Ackley. Best of both worlds on a standard long action. Go for the ackley!

It sounds like someone was going to build a 7X57 on that action.

I have a commercial M98 that is studying to be a .257 Roberts.

I have a .280 Rem, and it is enough of a good thing. I will bet the regular cartridge feeds better than the Ackley version with its lack of taper. ;)

..jim

One nice thing about the Ackley version of anything is that with the sharp shoulder and minimal body taper, case trimming is greatly reduced. I'm all for anything that reduces case trimming!

Thebear_78

The 280 AI is an awesome caliber. I'm getting 3000 fps with the 160 gr AB and stellar accuracy. Case life with the AI is excellent too.

Go with the AI and don't look back. Worst case, you can always shoot factory 280 Remington ammo in it.

JD338

It is often said that the .280 AI is the best of Ackley's improved cartridges. And the .280 is no slouch to begin with.

Thebear_78,

The Ackley so called improved chambers are just a hobby. There is no significant improvement in any part of their use including trimming.

On the other hand they are good clean fun. I got a few of them and now I know.

Make sure that the Mauser action is properly heat treated.

Well I ordered the 280 ackley reamer today. Should be able to get started later this week. Going to go "bad weather" on this rifle. Synthetic stock with nitride coating. As much as my dad likes pretty rifles he doesn't have an alaska proof rifle yet. Now lets hear all you know about the 280 ackley.

In the 280 AI,
-RL 22 is the powder
-magnum primers
-160 gr AB makes an excellent all around bullet
-fire form with a max load of 280 Remington

JD338

Thebear_78":1nibo8fi said:
Well I ordered the 280 ackley reamer today. Should be able to get started later this week. Going to go "bad weather" on this rifle. Synthetic stock with nitride coating. As much as my dad likes pretty rifles he doesn't have an alaska proof rifle yet. Now lets hear all you know about the 280 ackley.

Good choice.
I have a rem 700 ltd aniversary 280 and a NCR 280 ai.
I love them both. The AI does have an advantage over the standard cartridge.
I have loaded 154gr HIB's for both and the most accurate loads shoot like this.
NCR 280ai------------Rem 700 280
154gr IB -------------154gr IB
RL-22 61grs----------RL-22 57.5
FED215---------------FED 215
Nosler brass---------REM brass
3011fps--------------2926fps
.375 @ 100----------.625 @ 100
These are my most accurate loads not my max.

Loads out of the 280ai with 61.5grs of RL-22 produced av velocities of 3048 but the groups started to open up to 1" There were no pressure signs.

In the 280 just .3 grs more produced a stiff bolt so the 57.5 is at max in my rifle.
I haven't tried the 160 ab yet but, the AI realy starts to perform with the heavier bullets.
I also AI'd my 30-06 and love the results

I have the exact same rifle. Mine wears the 24" no. 4 Douglas XX barrel. It's chambered for the standard 280 Remington. One of the best, if not the best military rifle donor action there is. It's very smooth and very strong! You don't have to worry about them. The Argentine is getting harder to find these days. It's the favorite action among custom builder. I'm fortunate enough to own two of them.

]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/silay57/Picture130-1.jpg[/IMG]

IMGP0504.jpg

Back