.2800AI w/ E-tips

ofdscooby

Beginner
Nov 2, 2010
Hi guys I dont hang out on this forum much but I know its the go to place for Nosler help so I'm reaching out. I built a .280 ai to strictly shoot monolithics I live California and I don't think I can even shoot lead next deer season and there are already restrictions all over the state. Anyways found a great load with 140 TSX's and IMR 4350 but speed isn't there at 2800 and I'm worried about expansion. Shot some E-tips yesterday with RL 19 and was at 3000 with an ES of 3 for the first 5 shots but the accuracy wasn't there. So I'm reaching out to see if there are any knowns when it comes to E-tips and seating depths and powders, I might be onto a decent load. In the past I had a successful 7mag that flung E-tips at 3000 and was very accurate out to 700 but then fell off pretty fast as far as accuracy. Thanks for any help you guys can share..

I am glad that you dropped in. I also shoot a 280AI but unfortunately I do not shoot Etips out of her.
I believe that DrMike has done some work with Etips in the 7mm calibres and I am sure that he will be posting on this thread.
Again I am sure you will get some help and then maybe you could post a range report or two with photos. (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Have shot quite a few of both the 140 Barnes and Nosler E tips in a 26" barrel 280 AI. Best accuracy was found with both in the 3000 to 3100 fps range with 60 to 61 grains H4831sc. Seat initially .050 off but best accuracy was at near .100 off with both bullets. Jump them.

Very temperature stable load also!

Glad to see your post. I do shoot quite a few E-Tips and TSX bullets. In my .284 Win, 140 grain E-Tips give sub MOA groups and near 2800 fps velocities. In one of my 280 Rem rifles, 140 grain E-Tips give sub-MOA groups and up to 3000 fps velocities. This rifle has a twenty-four inch barrel in contradistinction to my other 280 Rem which has a twenty-two inch barrel. However, that differential should only account for no more than 50 fps. I'm using RL17 and R905 to get these velocities. In my 7 WSM, 150 grain E-Tips give ~3100 fps and 1.25 MOA groups, which is fine for hunting. Loading TSX bullets in this rifle gives me MOA accuracy and ~3000 fps velocity. Tests with my 7RM produces sub-MOA groups with 160 grain TSX and ~3000 fps velocities. I believe the primary caution in loading monolithic bullets is to allow a good jump to the lands. I usually allow at least 0.100 inch jump; occasionally, I will allow even more; less frequently, I will allow less, though never less than 0.070 inch jumps. Hope that helps.

JD338 should be along soon. He's got a lot of experience along these lines I think.

Guy

I'm shooting the 168 grain Barns LRX out of my 280ai. It has a 1:8 twist though, which you'd need. But I'm at 2900 fps with RL26 @24" barrel.

I think the 145 grain LRX would be another good option.

I live in Oregon, which I think is on it's way to mono-only before too long. :roll:

I have found that the E Tips shoot the best at .100" off the lands.
The 7mm 150 gr E Tip went .300" out of my 280AI with RL22.

JD338

JD338":3hk99owg said:
I have found that the E Tips shoot the best at .100" off the lands.
The 7mm 150 gr E Tip went .300" out of my 280AI with RL22.

JD338

I've been following your success with that 280ai of yours. I think you could stuff rocks down that barrel and still get .300" groups. :mrgreen:

Well here is what I get with 140 TSX's and IMR 4350 Ill try that with some E-tips and see what I get. As you can see it's a great load but I'm just trying to chase a little speed in the off season and the slightly better BC will help as well. I would like to get expansion out to 600 yards but that may be an unobtainable goal in this gun.

My experience with the ETips is they thrive off a good kick in the butt and they like at least .100" jump into the rifling. I've had good luck with a couple of them using that method. I'd try some slower powders as well. Since they typically have more bearing surface they act heavier in the few rifles I've tried them in.

"act heavier" - interesting observation Scotty - and I like the way you put it. Makes sense.

Guy

That is, indeed, fine accuracy, ofdscooby. I should imagine that you can generate a bit more velocity with that.

Haven't shot E-Tip in 280AI but have shot 150gr TSX one of the 280AI using H-4831sc just little over 3000fps. My nephew lives in Stockton and he's got about 1/2 his rifles for full ban.

Back