280AI/150ABLR w RL22 and IMR 7828sc

G'Day Fella's,

EOD Diver/Joe, I'm not long back from a weekend away hunting with my mate Toofa and his son Magnet.
Please find attached, an image of Magnets Weatherby Mk-V Lightweight, in .280AI and images of some of the group he has previously shot with this rifle!
As you can see, the groups were shot with Nosler 160grn AccuBond and 140grn B/Tips (what else Mr Nosler's), and as previously discussed, Reloader-19 powder!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    386.2 KB · Views: 1,257
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,254
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,257
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,260
Homer I think anyone could become content with accuracy like that. Those 160gr ABs are a great bullet it seems that almost all rifles with a 284 cal like them!!!

Blessings,
Dan

Wow! Those groups are no joke! I don't think it gets much better than the 7mm 160AB in the 280ai. I think it's perfectly balanced for just about any critter on this continent (our yours for that matter)! Great shooting and sweet rig Magnet. Congrats bud.
Joe

Still haven't had a chance to load up more Magpro to test, but had Mr Lind fix something that had been bugging me for awhile on my 84L. Call me crazy and neurotic, but the absence of an ejection port cut out on the stock has always been the fly in the ointment for me. Well, it shouldn't be an issue any more. Thanks for the help Mr Lind!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,223
Any idea of what kind of velocities you are getting with the Mag Pro and the 150 ABLR?

Looks like it is sure trying to work for you. I used Mag Pro in mine briefly with the 160 AB, but it was the only gun that I used it in at the time so I got away from it. It worked exceptionally well though.

Sas874runner":g91u5eve said:
Try giving the rifle a couple minutes Cool time between shots and see if your group tightens up. I personally like to give lots of cool time between shots when I get into a good load. Just due to the fact that your barrel will be stone cold when you shoot at your animal.

That right there.

Take that good load to the range and take a few minutes betwixt shots to let her cool. Not only will it likely give better groups, but they'll be more indicative of field accuracy since you'll always be shooting animals on a cold barrel.

This has been a very helpful method for me w/ lighter-taper tubes or with canister-burning magnum cartridges.

Good luck; gorgeous rifle in a great cartridge. I expect I'll have my Winchester M70 FW back soon in same cartridge so this is very helpful!

Ive been lurking this thread. Nice work with the 150 ABLR. I am REALLY wanting to get some to run in my 7mm08.

Well guys I did something real different today. I stopped at local & Daryl did not have any factory Nosler in the 280AI so I whipped over to Cabelas as I had a gift card :) for $30.00 & I put another 35.00 & bought a box of factory 140gr ABs. I am going to use them to break in my new RMR & also site it in as well.
I then have another 20 pieces of Nosler brass to go with 50 new. I figured it was not a bad idea :shock:

Blessings,
Dan

ajvigs":1qmqitg4 said:
Ive been lurking this thread. Nice work with the 150 ABLR. I am REALLY wanting to get some to run in my 7mm08.

Some of the guys have reported excellent results with that combo.

Dan sounds like a good plan that is supposed to be a very good factory load, who knows maybe one day you may need to use them if your handloads get separated from you.

I couldn't see much a guy wouldn't like about the 140AB's in the 280AI. That is a flat shooting combo too. I know Jim had some real good luck with his set up.

sask boy":8js7738l said:
Well guys I did something real different today. I stopped at local & Daryl did not have any factory Nosler in the 280AI so I whipped over to Cabelas as I had a gift card :) for $30.00 & I put another 35.00 & bought a box of factory 140gr ABs. I am going to use them to break in my new RMR & also site it in as well.
I then have another 20 pieces of Nosler brass to go with 50 new. I figured it was not a bad idea :shock:

Blessings,
Dan

The 140 ABs will work great, Dan. They will be just the ticket for moose, elk and whitetail this year. The only problem I can see is that you could get addicted to them very quickly.

I do have a 5lb jug & 3-1lb bottles of RL-22 & 200 150gr. ABLRs for my 280AI :lol:. So these factories are just for break in. I figure it will likely be easier with factory loads to get it broke in and close in MOA. I figure with the 20 once fired Nosler brass and the 50 new Nosler brass it is a good start. I will save my allowance and purchase another 50 new brass before hunting season I hope.
I still have JD's load for the 150gr. ABLRs that includes his OAL used in his 280AI. So I am going to play with that load and make it go too load.
I also have 100 168gr. in the 284.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2dtg3en5 said:
I do have a 5lb jug & 3-1lb bottles of RL-22 & 200 150gr. ABLRs for my 280AI :lol:. So these factories are just for break in. I figure it will likely be easier with factory loads to get it broke in and close in MOA. I figure with the 20 once fired Nosler brass and the 50 new Nosler brass it is a good start. I will save my allowance and purchase another 50 new brass before hunting season I hope.
I still have JD's load for the 150gr. ABLRs that includes his OAL used in his 280AI. So I am going to play with that load and make it go too load.
I also have 100 168gr. in the 284.

Blessings,
Dan

That's it Dan!! You need more bullets no where near enough to burn up all that powder.

Thanks JD :). I am hoping that load of yours just fits my rifle's specs then it will be easy :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to score a chrony just yet, let alone load up a few more of these to test. I think the 150 ABLR and 7-08 would be a match made in heaven! I'll let that whispy little barrel cool down a little more now that I've got her about dialed in. Also, the 140 ABs dispatched the antelope I shot last year pretty well. Total pass throughs with both shots and pudding between the entry and exit wounds.
Joe

Back