3 Cartridge Battery?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Just for fun!

3 Cartridges/rifles for the whole world. This is big game ONLY so no I will not confiscate your varminters/rimfires. :lol:

What say thee?

.222 Rem for varmints, 25-06 for coyotes antelope, deer, and since I have a 7mm mag, I'll use that for any of the bigger stuff I'll ever hunt, but I still think I prefer a 300 Win mag.

For me, its the following:

257 Roberts w/ 110 gr AB

280 AI w/ 160 gr AB

338 RUM w/ 225 gr AB/PT or 250 gr PT

Should cover NA or Africa nicely.

JD338

I'd have to say I would keep two of the rifles I already have. If only three, but I can keep my 243Win as a varmint rig, then here goes:

30-30Win Model 94 because it is handy, pointable, deadly accurate, and with handloads under book max I get 1000# at 200yds, making it ideal for almost all the deer hunting done in the eastern US. Plus, it's a lot of fun to shoot.

270Wby Mark V because it is a great long range gun, and makes those shots out west shrink up nicely, plus it is big enough for anything except the great bears. I just bought one of these, and am looking forward to wringing out the best it will do.

Lastly, I would go buy a CZ550 Safari in 375H&H. I choose this one because I love the square bridge mauser action, the guns are inherently accurate, from reliable sources, and the 375H&H will do just about whatever I ask it to, on any continent, in any season, except be a great varmint gun on a prairie dog shoot! Seriously, Loaded down, it makes a good deer gun without the heavy meat damage risked from small, fast guns. It also carries enough weight for bear, moose, and any of the African dangerous game, as well as the plains game available, as well as enough speed to reach out and touch those same animals at longer ranges.

That's just my list, and like I said, I cheated a little, because I got to keep my 243Win as a varmint rifle, although I use it primarily for deer currently. If I had to count that, I guess I would get rid of....I don't know. Glad we live in a time when the Second Ammendment is still construed to offer some minimal protection to my right to own more than three!

What I have

270 Winchester
300 Weatherby
45/70

In my perfect world, I would add a 375 H&H or 416 Remington and remove the 45/70 from my list.

ZM

:grin: Aw Zeke - I'd keep my .45-70, 'cause it will handle anything that I need handled... And it's a Marlin. And it's fun! :grin:

Okay - three rifles for my big game hunting - this oughta be easy since I did everything with one rifle for many years...

.25-06 Rem 700 CDL - this has become a true favorite for mule deer. With the right bullet I'd push it a bit beyond deer. Dynamite on rockchucks and coyotes too...

7mm Rem mag, Rem 700 - I play with a lot of other cartridges, including the big bad .300 RUM lately, but I keep coming back to this one. It's a do-it-all cartridge for me & "big game" hunting. Truth be told, I'd likely keep this one above all others if I was limited to one cartridge. Right combination of power, flat trajectory, accuracy and it's easy on the shooter too. Favorite load is a 175 Nosler at 2900+ fps, but I like the 160 too.

.45-70 Marlin 1895 because it's a hoot, and puts great big holes all the way through stuff. :grin:

Don't let my wife see this, or she'll ask why I've got all those other rifles...

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":2a9f4yuu said:
:grin: Aw Zeke - I'd keep my .45-70, 'cause it will handle anything that I need handled... And it's a Marlin. And it's fun! :grin:

I'll never get rid of the Buffalo Gun!!!

My 45/70 is a Buffalo Classic. It is a ton of fun. However with the steel butt plate and a shooting weight of nine pounds, even light loads trash the shoulder.
I filled up the buttstock with a few pounds of lead to dampen recoil. That helps with recoil but It's isn't the gun for trudging up and down deep dark canyons.
I suppose I should get one of those mercury recoil reducers to help with recoil. I have been debating putting a Decelerator on it but I really like the look of the gun, so I put up with a black and blue shoulder.
I shoot a light load of AA2015 and Remington 405's at 1600fps most of the time. My Godzilla load is a 350gr bullet at 2300fps.

There is something to be said for lobbing a 350gr bullet at 2300fps. Big holes on the target is just plain fun!

Bufflergun.jpg

ZM

For me is easy:

The 416 BEE--of course!!!!!!!
And the two twins SAKO 75's SS Synthetics in 7mm & 300 RUMs

I know redundant, but I do not have a lighter rifle. :cry:

Pop - you really ought to try something like a .243 or a .25-06... It's kind of amazing. There's no thump on the shoulder, but the deer is just as dead... :grin:

Consider giving something light a try - you just might like it!

Regards, Guy

You're right on. after much deliberation I wound up with a 358 Win in BLR. Does not really cik that bad, great light rifle but indeed it does lack the "long range" ability of the 25-06.....

You're right on. after much deliberation I wound up with a 358 Win in BLR. Does not really recoil that bad, great light rifle but indeed it does lack the "long range" ability of the 25-06.....

Back