30-06 & 180...

Guy,this is what Reloader 26 did for me in my 28" barreled 30-06.I tried it with 168gr bullets and it really didn't seem much better than other powders I've used.There was another post on this,so I tried it with 180gr Accubonds and 200gr Accubonds.Wow!!! It really works with the heavier bullets.I have a couple of shorter barreled 23" and 24" 30-06 rifles I'm going to try it in too.

Attachments

• 180 r26.jpg
    180 r26.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 30-06 200gr AB R-26.jpg
    30-06 200gr AB R-26.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 391
TXbaldhunter":15z2etdf said:
Guy,this is what Reloader 26 did for me in my 28" barreled 30-06.I tried it with 168gr bullets and it really didn't seem much better than other powders I've used.There was another post on this,so I tried it with 180gr Accubonds and 200gr Accubonds.Wow!!! It really works with the heavier bullets.I have a couple of shorter barreled 23" and 24" 30-06 rifles I'm going to try it in too.

I loaded up some 178ELDX with a max charge of Superformance for a friend's 24" barreled Tikka 30-06. He got an honest 2950fps with no pressure signs.

I was shocked. Apparently RL-26 does the same thing for the old warhorse!

You guys and your RL-26 & Superformance! :grin:

I've got at least 12 pounds of H4350 to burn through before I switch 30-06 powders. (y)

Great results you're posting though.

Guy

TXbaldhunter, I remember seeing those results from you. Impressive to say the least. Have you shot enough of the 26 from different containers of powder to be able to report on it's lot to lot consistency?

Reason I'm asking is I have 2 unopened 1 lb containers of RL26 with access to more here locally, but haven't seen it in an 8 lb jug.

Somewhere along the way in the past I remember reading a discussion about one of the RL powders........guys really liked what it did but complained about the big swings when going to a different lot. Sticks in my head it was RL15 being discussed, but don't quote me on that.

HAWKEYESATX":3v4kpu5y said:
Here’s something I found a few weeks ago.
If you have older Partition bullets, and they’ve been sitting around a long time in your reloading area, and this goes for other cup and core bullets as well, the older they are, the more the jackets get harder, and the lead in the bullet gets softer, and the area closest to the cup can actually become like a powdery substance.
If you shoot an animal, eg.. deer on up to moose with those older bullets, expect bullet failure, up to explosive activity, and or core separation.
If you have bullets on your bench that are reaching 10, 15, or even 20 or more years older, it’s probably not a good idea to use them for hunting. Probably best used as target, or testing loads.

Hawk

Sounds like tin pest. Temperature can cause tin to do that. Maybe a tin/lead alloy will too?

"Tin pest will occur more slowly at warmer temperatures (13.2 °C or 56 °F) and cooler.

Tin pest is important in modern time, as most tin-lead solder has been replaced with solder containing primarily tin. Tin metal may spontaneously decompose into a powder, causing problems where the metal is used.

Tin pest has historical significance, too. Explorer Robert Scott sought to become the first to reach the South Pole in 1910. The tin soldered cans the team cached on their route were empty of kerosene, potentially from poor soldering, but possibly because tin pest caused the cans to leak. There is a tale of Napoleon's men freezing in the Russian cold when tin pest disintegrated the buttons of their uniforms, though this has never been proven to have occurred."

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-tin-pest-608452

pharmseller":37l56gep said:
https://kristian555.livejournal.com/27291.html

I use Hunter powder and 180 Partitions. My load is 59.0 grains, close to max so work up to it.

This load is a real thumper.

P

Good article. Only thing I would disagree with him on based on experience is the recommended 58.5 of IMR 4350 with 165's.

Right at 57 gr's, maybe slightly over in some rifles is always what's worked best for me. That's possibly due to using Remington cases which general consensus is they tend to run less case capacity.

I've intentionally worked up towards max in more than one 30-06 and accuracy has always diminished as I go up the scale. 57 gr's with Remington cases has been an exceptional & reliable load for me.

ShadeTree":22rb42gb said:
TXbaldhunter, I remember seeing those results from you. Impressive to say the least. Have you shot enough of the 26 from different containers of powder to be able to report on it's lot to lot consistency?

Reason I'm asking is I have 2 unopened 1 lb containers of RL26 with access to more here locally, but haven't seen it in an 8 lb jug.

Somewhere along the way in the past I remember reading a discussion about one of the RL powders........guys really liked what it did but complained about the big swings when going to a different lot. Sticks in my head it was RL15 being discussed, but don't quote me on that.

I bought four pounds of the Reloader26 and they were all the same lot number so no I haven't compared any other lots.I tried the 63.5 gr Reloader 26 load with 180gr Ballistic Tips,Win cases,WLRM primer in two other 30-06's I have.My 23" Rock Creek 5R cut barrel clocked it at 2890fps and my 24" Sako factory barrel clocked it at 2873fps.Both these rifles grouped about 3/4" with the load.So my 28" PacNor 5 groove barrel got 2992fps was close to what is claimed for 25fps per inch of barrel.

Hello everyone, in my 1903 a3 I haven't had any issues with with charge weights, bullets, or pressure. My model 88 also shoots just about anything I have used. In the beginning, I started with Sierra 165 game kings, but switched to Gmx's in both. I don't see why 180's would be a problem in a 30-06, but reloading requires the process of tailoring components to your rifle/ gun. 180 grain projectiles have an outstanding bc and should serve you well. You may need to reconfirm your charge every time you change a component. I wish you all well and Merry Christmas.
Doni

I've been pretty stuck on my 2900+ fps load with the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. The 165 grain Nosler Partition shoots just as well.

Time to time I've tried 180 gr bullets... They clock a little slower, 2700 - 2800 fps for the most part...

This most recent mule deer hunt with the 180 gr Berger at 2730 fps doing a good job at 350 yards got me thinking... Recoil was no big deal. Accuracy was good. Buck dropped. Hmmm...

I always kinda thought of the 180 as more of an elk & bear bullet. Normally I hunt mule deer. What do you guys think of the 180 for deer & everything? Please include the 308, 30-06, 300 magnums...

Which 180 and at what velocity? The Partition? AccuBond? I kinda liked the "extra" bullet weight with that 180 and had no trouble placing the high shoulder shot with my little 6x Leupold at 350 yards...

Thanks, Guy
Hey Guy,
I worked a load up using the 180 BT, H4350 and CCI250 primers. Had it clocked at 2788 fps with a 22" barrel. Shot a doe at 90 yds a few years ago. Shot was near the shoulder area.
She hit the ground so fast, thought I missed her. I since loaded up the 180 CT Bullets but haven't had the chance to shoot them yet.

Don

Last edited:
I actually use the 170 grain Partition round nose made for 30/30 in my 06. It leaves two blood trails as the deer leaks on both sides from a hole that looks like a 20 gauge shot.

I've been pretty stuck on my 2900+ fps load with the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. The 165 grain Nosler Partition shoots just as well.

Time to time I've tried 180 gr bullets... They clock a little slower, 2700 - 2800 fps for the most part...

This most recent mule deer hunt with the 180 gr Berger at 2730 fps doing a good job at 350 yards got me thinking... Recoil was no big deal. Accuracy was good. Buck dropped. Hmmm...

I always kinda thought of the 180 as more of an elk & bear bullet. Normally I hunt mule deer. What do you guys think of the 180 for deer & everything? Please include the 308, 30-06, 300 magnums...

Which 180 and at what velocity? The Partition? AccuBond? I kinda liked the "extra" bullet weight with that 180 and had no trouble placing the high shoulder shot with my little 6x Leupold at 350 yards...

Thanks, Guy
I don‘t think anyone would suffer if there were only the 180 grain bullet for the .30-06.

Here’s something I found a few weeks ago.
If you have older Partition bullets, and they’ve been sitting around a long time in your reloading area, and this goes for other cup and core bullets as well, the older they are, the more the jackets get harder, and the lead in the bullet gets softer, and the area closest to the cup can actually become like a powdery substance.
If you shoot an animal, eg.. deer on up to moose with those older bullets, expect bullet failure, up to explosive activity, and or core separation.
If you have bullets on your bench that are reaching 10, 15, or even 20 or more years older, it’s probably not a good idea to use them for hunting. Probably best used as target, or testing loads.

Hawk
I've run into the same thing over the years with old brass. Quite a long time ago I spoke with a Hornady Tech in regards to this and he stated that the Brass changes its molecular structure over a period of time and tends to get brittle. he stated that the materials used to make the brass also play an important part.

I’ve been running my 06 since 1968. Haven’t changed anything since the mid 90’s. Except to up grade the scope. Moose, bears, caribou, bighorns, Antelope, deer, lion, elk, song dogs, sage rats, crows, 150 ballistic tips since they first came out and 180 partitions. zero with the BTs about 2” high dead nuts with the 180s.
I hadn’t zeroed the rifle in two years. Went to the range Friday. Three 150 BT landed 2” high at 100, a couple of 180’s went through the orange dot. Five 180s on the steel plate from sitting at 200. Five prone at 400. We leave for Africa in three weeks. Love the 06 and 180s.

Guy have you tried the 168gr Nosler BT ? might be a little flatter shooting and I do not believe anything other than another Grizzly it would be great bullet out West.
I’m running the Nosler 180AB in my 300 H&H Mag but it has a little more speed than a 30-06. Myself I like to have a bullet speed over 3000 FPS out west for flatter shooting. But that‘s just Me.

Regardless of cartridge, I have used the 30 cal 180 gr bullet across the board with great results on game (308, 30-06 and 300; Win Mag and WSM), for bear, deer, wolf,moose, elk and bison (11 animals in total). The only exception has been the use of 170's in the 30-30 for deer and black bear (3 in total). Would have to say, the 180 was used as that is what I was taught to hunt with, and as they worked so well, I just didn't try anything else in these cartridges.
The 180 is just a tried and proven 30 cal performer on game. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

The 180's in the 308 and 30-06 were the Winchester Power Points, as that was the ammo that my Dad and grandfather used in theirs, so I bought the same in my early years hunting.
I also used the 180 Power Point in Winchester ammo on 2 moose and an elk in my 300 WSM, until I tried the 180 AccuBond and had great results with the then new bullet. With some assistance from DrMike in dialing in a load for my new 300 WSM when I started handloading for it, I settled on a load with the 180 AB that shoots consistently 1/2" groups and has accounted for wolf, elk and moose since.
In my current 30-06, a Sako L691 Carbine in Full Stock, I plan to use Winchester 180 Power Point ammo; going back to my hunting roots.
While I am not a big 30 cal fan, I admit that they just plain work.
And meat on the table is plenty of proof for me, and the thousands of other hunters out there that have done the same over the past 100 or so years!

Good write up Gil. Can't argue with that. For the variety of game you hunt and encounter, I can't think of a better bullet weight to handle all sizes in fine fashion in a 30 caliber. Like you stated it's in the proof and been that way for 100 yrs, at least in the 30-06.

I enjoy the 180 grain bullets in the 30-06. Narrowed down to deer hunting, I probably prefer a reasonably well constructed 150 grain, or a softer 165.

You guys and your RL-26 & Superformance! 😁

I've got at least 12 pounds of H4350 to burn through before I switch 30-06 powders. (y)

Great results you're posting though.

Guy
If you have a stash of H4350, you're in good shape.
My old 22" Ruger 30-06 thrives on 180 gr. NBT and 58.0 H4350 loaded in a WW case and lit with a CCI 250 primer.
It clocks in at 2797 fps and the first three shots out of a cold clean barrel print close to 3/4" at 100 yards.
I tried 59.0 of H4350 and got 2851 fps, but the accuracy was dropping off.

Back