30-06 and 180gr

jbrbro

Beginner
Dec 29, 2004
Has anyone been able to push a 180 gr Partition past 2800fps in a production rifle with a 22" bbl? I need some ideas for a single load for any purpose in my a-bolt. does anyone have data for H-4350 or H4831 w/ this bullet?

>>>Has anyone been able to push a 180 gr Partition past 2800fps in a >>>production rifle with a 22" bbl? I need some ideas for a single load >>>for any purpose in my a-bolt. does anyone have data for H-4350 or >>>H4831 w/ this bullet.

Writer Bob Hagel claims to have reached 2900fps with a 22" barrel, using 180 grain bullet. YUP.........2900 fps!! I have his book, where he tells of this. But I can't find the darn book in all my stuff.

I distinctly remember that he used either Norma 205 or MRP powder. And he was able to achieve this amazing velocity with _ONLY_ that single "lot number" of powder. Subsequent attempts at comparable velocities with different powder lots, didn't even come close. Maybe someone has his back at hand, and can quote the exact details.

fjlee

RL-22 in our barrel will get close.

The barrel is a 24" and we can achieve nearly 2900fps with a compressed load.

That will get ya close with a 22" barrel.

Start: 57.0grains of RL-22
Max: 61.0grains of RL-22

Start with the min load and work your way up.

Thanks guys, close will work I was going to start 4-5 grs light of whatever anyone gave me and see how it went as I worked up. I know I'd be pushing the limits but I only have the one rifle and want the best ballistics I can get at a distance.

It is possible to get 2800 safely in a 22" 30-06, but only with a couple of powders. Hagel in his book "Game loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter" Lists 61 grains of Norma 205 [Now MRP] as giving 2900 in a 24" Sako Finnbear rifle. Hagel also wrote an extensive article in a early issue of Handloader called "30-06 - Spry Septuagenarian" where he talked about the lot-to-lot variances with old Norma 205. There he mentioned that he could usually get similar velocities with different lot #'s, but had to adjust each time he got another lot of powder, since they were not consistent. Norma later responded to the complaints by withdrawing Norma 205 from the market and replacing it with Norma MRP. In Scandinavia, 205 and later, MRP were often sold in larger lots as RP-5. In fact, N205 and MRP are impossible to distinguish from one another, and if you were using 205, the change to MRP was a pleasant one, since the renamed powder is much more consistent. Reloder 22 is very similar to MRP, and some even claim that it is the same powder, just packaged in Alliant containers. I cannot verify that, but I have burned a lot of Norma MRP over the years, and continue to do so. Also have used a fair amount of RL22, and it is quite similar in most applications I have used both in. MRP is one of my go-to powders, and I would feel lost without it [or RL22] It performs so well in a broad spectrum of chamberings and is very dense, thus allowing more powder to fit in cases with limited capacities [for example the 7x57] Regards, Eagleye.

I get a measured 2800+ fps 10 feet from the muzzle out of my 22" barreled M70 30-06 using 180 grain Ballistic Tips over 60 grains of RL 22 The same load pushes a 180 gr Scirocco 30 -40 fps faster for an average velocity of 2840fps.

I read this post last week, I just had to try to push my 30-06 2800 fps..I started at 59.5 gr RL-22 and worked up @ 60.5 grs of RL- 22 with a 180 gr Partition I got 2800 fps and .500 MOA 3 shot groups with a 24 inch barrel Colt Light Rifle, I think I just found my new elk load !! Just a note with a max load 57.5 gr H-4350 and the 180 gr Partition i got 2767 fps..[/img]

Back