30-06 and 225 ELD-M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clearwater

Handloader
Feb 5, 2005
What would the ballistics look like for a 30-06 running the 225 grain ELD-M with a BC of .777?

How do the heavy match bullets fair on big game? Would this combination hit the jackpot?

they are called match bullets and NOT hunting bullets for a reason.
They would be crap at 30-06FPS speeds---Especially for hunting.
You just looking to wound or miss?

Hate to break it to you buddy, but you dont seem to know a whole lot about target bullets or terminal ballistics do ya? I can educate you on the subject if you're not to ignorant to learn a thing a two if you'd like? Because in all actuality, they are BETTER at 3006 speeds for hunting, but I'll let you chew on that for awhile and see what you come up with...

To the OP, you would have an EXCELLENT deer and elk killer with that combo. I've used various target bullets in 7mm 160-168s/30 cal 210s/ and 338 300g to take all deer and elk the last 20 years, from 200-1100 yards with nothing but great results. Put the bullet where it needs to go, and you'll have your animal on the ground, simple as that. DO NOT listen to people who have zero experience or knowledge on the subject. Stick with the heavies and stay off the shoulder inside 100 or 200 yards if your MV is 3000 or above (which yours is not even close), and you'll be just fine. The upside is target bullets expand a lot better at LR where impact velocity has slowed down, thus allowing deeper penetration, which allows it to ensure a quicker kill, where as your tougher "hunting" bullets often will just pencil through if no bone is hit and your animal squanders away with little to no blood trail to die a slow lonely death.

With a 208 ELDM at 2600fps, you'll still have almost 1600fps impact velocity and 1100ft lbs at 1000 yards yards. In my experience, that is still plenty for any deer or elk that walks. Sufficient velocity to expand, and more than enough energy.

clearwater":1vuj0dbe said:
What would the ballistics look like for a 30-06 running the 225 grain ELD-M with a BC of .777?

How do the heavy match bullets fair on big game? Would this combination hit the jackpot?

I think you'd get around 2600 or so with that 225. About the same speed as a 308 and the 175 SMK.

I have been enlightened a little on how the heavier bullets work on animals in the past few years, I am not switching up across the line, but we have had great results with the 139 and 220 Scenars last year. It cannot be denied how well the heavier Bergers work on animals, as the 215 is darned near legendary in its game taking ability.

I think keeping that at reasonable impact speeds seems to result in great terminal results, but that is from a fairly small number of animals seen personally taken though.

So long way around the tent pole, yeah, I'd try the 225 ELD at 2600 from an 06. That's alot of mass!

I will have to disagree with you still. I have seen what match bullets do when hunting. Not consistent among other things. I have "had experience and do know what I am talking about." So you can just get off your self-imposed throne.
I will stick to hunting bullets for hunting.
Feel free to do whatever you like.
My comment is no less valid than yours

That's fine, use what works for you and we'll use what works for us, 200 elk and 200 deer, few antelope and black bears along the way in 20 years cant complain though... Just dont tell other people there crap, dont work, going to miss, or going to wound everything, because that's simply hogwash and your sole opinion. Many more LR hunters than just myself kill their animals every year with them. I'd bet more animals are wounded every year by your average Joe with walmart hunting bullets, than us LR guys who use target bullets and practice year round...

where go you get tags for 10 deer and 10 elk per year and ALWAY fill them??

See you state you are in a small niche of shooters that do the LR shooting.

I also agree that many animals are wounded by "average joe" shooters who do not practice between hunting seasons. Again you pick a group that does not fit into the discussion well.

It is not "simply hogwash and my sole opinion". Many others feel the same way.

This may shock you but many people do not believe in LR sniping at game. Tell me you have never lost an animal doing so. How about ones you may have thought you missed but did not. Or are you going to try to tell me that every animal you ever shot at you hit and collected.

20 years? That is a good start for someone who thinks they have all and the only answers. Be careful patting yourself on the back that you do not break your arm. I do not understand your specific kind of stupid---but I admire your total commitment to it.

I am done with you and your posts. I stated my opinion(and the same as many others) and experience. YOU were the one who started being nasty.

Its called oregon, a camp/party, being good hunters and shooters, and being successful lol. Deer tags get every year in our unit, and elk is spike only that you also get every year. Am I now lying about all that now too?? Ill almost guaruntee I've seen more elk killed in my first 20 years, then you will have your life. That's fine, you dont have to agree with me, like me, or the continued success weve had over the last 20 years, but dont discount the facts either...Doesnt bother me one bit, could frankly care less honestly what you think of me or how we put food on our table. Out of about 400 animals weve lost maybe 3, so do the math on that please! You started the nastiness far as I'm concerned for calling someone out who doesn't agree with what you use or how you do things, so I just did the same to you! You didn't like it to much huh? And here you go with the personal attacks lol... Done with you as well! Good day sir!

"WE" You said YOU killed 200 each. Now you backtrack again.
I never called anyone out until you started it. I only stated some information.
Yes you are a special kind of stupid.
I will give you the fact you may have "seen" more elk killed. I have not hunted them.
I will bet I have killed more deer. I probably taken more pronghorn.
Sure I have taken more plains game and probably more exotics. I have hunted much longer and only lost one animal and that still bothers me. Maybe because I am a hunter and not a live animal target shooter/sniper.
I enjoy LR shooting but prefer using my 50bmg rifles at 100+ yards. Never at animals. PD's and ground squirrels are the exception but not 1000+ yards.
You are still wet between the ears and not just behind them. You part of it right you do not think.
You seem to get all worked up for someone who does not care. I do enjoy pushing all your buttons and having fun at your expense.
Tag your turn. :)

No, dont even put words in my mouth. I simply said that's what I've used to take all my animals with, and our hunting party has used as well over the last 20 years. Maybe you need to go back to school and comprehend a little better, reread what I actually wrote, not what you think I wrote. I, WE, and US, means exactly that...If you think 1 person done killed all that, you're more of an idiot than I thought lol. I know what I said, and I never said I killed all them animals, but I did load up their rounds, and set up their rifles out to 1K, and have been up there and witnessed half of the kills. I wasn't the one smashing the OP for wanting to use target bullets on game, that was YOU my friend, and that's where our difference of opinion and facts lay. Words like "crap" "missing" and "wounding" makes you sound like a tard anyway. You took a blatant shot at the OP when you said all that nonsense! How else would you expect someone to react when you come at someone like that? I for one wont take it, so I spoke up for him. So dont try and downplay what you said now lol, cause I ain't having none of it! Take care now :)

You are funny. Stupid but funny.

gbflyer--- I just like to have fun pushing his buttons and working on his overly important ego. All fun and games and the fool cannot figure it out even when I tell him so.

gbflyer":wgqxae0v said:
Dang. Did this place just turn into snipers hide?
Dang, I thought I logged on to the 24 Hour Campfire forum instead of the Nosler forum!

Being just a hunter my impression of remington 25-06, is just full of himself. Anyone can write war stories but few have actual experience. Target bullets are just that target bullets. If you want to shoot heavy bullets at game buy some heavy Accubonds and have at it.
The sniping at game at long range is not for me and I do not feel it helps the appearance to new hunters of this diminishing sport. Try stalking and getting close.

I think there is room for us all.

Some folks feel as comfortable at shooting at that distance as the next does at shooting at 200 yards.

Dividing us as hunters as a whole doesn’t help any of us in my opinion. I don’t prescribe to a limit per se. I stay within my comfort zone but don’t push my beliefs on the next persons.

270elk- How about you just worry about yourself and how you put meat on your table! I shoot more rounds at 1000 yards than your average ding dong shoots at 200 yards throughout the year. I think that qualifies me to put meat on my table so however I choose. Thanks for your overwhelmingly concern though...

Lol, now Im full of myself and war stories now. You obviously dont know me, or what we do, and thats fine. However there are more than a few in here that do know me personally, what I bring to the table in terms of overall knowledge and the success we continually have. But I dont spew BS...I speak truth and facts, so get it straight. Dont like it, too bad! Use your hunting bullets, and well use our target bullets and still kill more game than you. And if you've never hunted elk, killed elk, or even seen an elk killed, your opinion or facts on the subject are not even close to being valid. Anyone can kill a deer, or antelope, or african plains game with a guide for that matter, that doesnt impress me at all lol...Until you've hunted elk on public ground, and been as successfull as we have, I dont even want to hear it...Simple as that. Good day sir!

270elk---I am with you. This guy is so full of himself and everyone else is wrong to him. He has his head so far up his ass he needs a glass belly button just to see where he is going.
But it is fun just to see how far I can string him along. 1st it is "I DID/DO" then "We did/do" and it is funny how he talks about all his(and we) shooting---Never knowing what others actually do themselves. Then he puts down all other types of hunting EXCEPT what "I or we" since it looks like he cannot do anything himself and he thinks that pumps up "his" numbers/knowledge/experience. He is all over the map. All he can talk about is elk. Like that is the only thing to be sniped at long range for him and "we".
I have hunted public ground and killed 2 deer for 22 years straight in an area that has a 2% success rate. Hunting weekend only do to work. That is not too bad a record and I did not need "WE" to do so. Almost all my hunting has been non-guided and on public ground so that does not make him(or me) so special. I do not need to compare hunting with him as far as where and what animals as it would hurt his snowflake feelings and very limited experience
He sounds like a "money made hunter" and not a born hunter and probably do not know the difference.

I wonder just how long I can string this moron along
Tag it is his turn.

Lol you're an idiot, I'm having just as much fun with this as you, but I cant even with you anymore. Go kill some elk without a guide on public ground and get back to me when you have some factual experience. I dont care about deer, anyone can shoot deer...Without ME, THEY wouldnt kill half the stuff, since I LOAD and set up THEIR rifles...If either of you guys ever want to come to Oregon and see how us real elk hunters do things, then come on up, although I doubt you're really cut out for it...If you're to dumb to follow along and comprehend, that's on you. No one else seems to be having that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back