30-06 and 35 Whelan

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I was able to escape the confines of the office for a day at the range. I had a rifle for which I was asked to develop a load. It is a 300 WSM with a surprisingly shallow magazine. Moreover, to make the challenge more demanding, I was given one powder and one bullet type. I was able to work out a load that gives the owner three quarter inch groups, which is sufficient for hunting purposes. I'm waiting to hear back from him so I can finalise all the work.

While at the range, however, I was shooting a couple of my rifles and hit on some nice loads. My 30-06 is shooting very well indeed. Last fall, I used the 168 grain Hornady IB to take a mule deer doe. In the interim, I've worked up some loads that show me the rifle is capable of good accuracy. For instance, I have a load with the 150 grain E-Tip that give me an honest 0.55 inch group. However, the velocity is quite low (2580 fps). It will certainly work for deer, but I am looking for a bit for velocity from the load. I have had good success with the 165 grain Hornady GMX, getting sub-MOA groups and velocities of ~2900 fps. Yesterday, I focused on the 168 grain TSX and the 168 grain E-Tip, using RL17. The E-Tip just does not co-operate with this particular load. Standard deviations were good and velocities were adequate. However, accuracy was not at all acceptable. Using the same powder with the TSX, however, gave me a good group. Again, velocity was adequate (2715) and standard deviations were good. This is a picture of the group that gave me hope with the monolithic bullet

P7260123.jpg

I will certainly revisit the monolithic bullets in this rifle. I likely will not continue to focus on RL17, reserving it for the short magnums at this point.

I also took my Whelan with me. It has given me fits. There was a burr on the firing pin which caused me no end of grief. Then, I had one lot of primers that were defective. About one in six fires on the first detonation. Almost all will fire if I give them a second tap. Obviously, for bear hunting, this could create some interesting scenarios. I'll be working up some new loads. One in particular that will receive attention in the coming week is that provided by JD338. However, in diagnosing the primer problem, I worked up a couple of loads using a new lot of primers. Among the loads was one using 225 grain Sierras and A2520. This is the sort of groupings that load was giving.

P7260124.jpg

This is a 0.58 inch group with a muzzle velocity of 2477. It is a good start. The Whelan may accompany me on my grizzly hunt, after all!

Great groups.
My Whelan shoots best with 53 gr. 4064 and 250 grain bullet. I am switching over to 3031 so will have to start over. Good luck with the bears, and bull's. How many days now?

DrMike,

You are well on your way. :grin:

JD338

Ya! those hours don't mean a thing. I am still into weeks. However did see 6 deer in the backyard this morning. Its pretty tough deer hunting here but I am hoping to shoot one with the bow from the door of the horse barn. I will have a chair and my end table there for my drink (soda) in the AM. They feed here, up until about 1400 hours.

Bill,

I'll be carrying my crossbow for early season deer and if I can get close to a moose while I'm carrying it, I'll stick him. Should be fun. My hunting partner wants me to carry it for the grizzly. I'm afraid he'd panic and shoot my bear, though. So, I might as well pull the trigger on a rifle that I'm packing. :lol:

Those are some good groups from your 06 and 35 Whelen. I hope the Whelen pulls through for you and you get to use it. I would really like to hear about the results of a Grizzly getting taken with ol faithful. If you get a chance Mike, try out some RL15 with your Whelen and either 225's or 250's. Seems you should be able to get 2700 out of 225's and 2500+ out of the 250's. Either of them should be solid performers out to 300 and then some. I am glad you got your Whelen back on track, I know what fits it was giving you. Wished I could be there for that hunt, it would be a pleasure to pack that hide for ya! Scotty

Yeah, the Whelan is coming along. However, it seems to have a "slow" barrel. I may have to settle for slightly lower velocities, but it will still pack a wallop. The '06 generates some excellent velocities. I have very high hopes for some of the monolithics. As stated, the GMX is giving me good velocities and good groups. I believe I can make the E-Tip shoot well; I just need a little more time to play with the loads.

Mike,

As Scotty mentioned, try RL 15 with the 250 gr PT. I have used this powder with the 225 gr AB and the velocities were impressive.

JD338

Doc, you are a great value to this site, and have provided me with answers a time or two, and I don't want to come off as an internet spelling Nazi, but it's spelled WhelEn.

images1.jpg

images.jpg

Sorry. Rant off. I'm stuck in SoCal, 1000 miles away from my rifles, and I'm getting cranky. Grrrr.

BK,

You should have seen what spell check wanted to change it to!

Er, is it too late to ascribe this to Canadian spelling?

Jim,

I will give the RL15 a try with the PTs. Hopefully, I'll have an answer shortly on whether the Ruger will shoot them.

Scott,

I fear that too much of my shooting work is woven into sermonic material as it is. Fortunately, I live in an area where almost every home has a rifle and game is routinely taken to supplement the diet. However, I am conscious that the television broadcasts are seen as far away as the east coast with a growing viewership in the Toronto area.

Thanks, Dave. I do have hopes for this rifle. It is fun to shoot, if nothing else.

Thank you, 30-338. The rifles have potential. I don't know that I can wring out the maximum potential, but I'll give it a good try. I am so greatly impressed with the quality of workmanship on the Featherweight 30-06. I don't believe I've ever had a rifle that fed as smoothly as this one does. In fact, I sometimes have to stop to look to ensure that it is chambering a round. The more rounds I put down the pipe the more consistently it shoots.

DrMike":s6f98gvx said:
Er, is it too late to ascribe this to Canadian spelling?

Only if your throw in an 'eh' or two and pronounce 'sorry' funny! (Don't forget the zed at the end of the alphabet.)

Ah ha! So you have been to Canada, BK! Good show. I'm bilingual, I talk American, but I get by in Canajun.

I have noticed RL 17 workd good in the 300 WSM with 155/150 grain bullets with Vel in 3300 FPS range. Like U need not get the Vel with the heavier bullets.

With 165 to 185gr the H4350 and IMR 4831 and Reloader 19 works good with me.........I settled on H4350 with 185gr Begers VLD Hunting bullet.

Back