30-06 Elk Ammo Questions?

Which Nosler Elk Bullet provides the best all around performance?

• Partitian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AccuBond

• Solid Base

• Other

• Total voters

147 Grain

Beginner
May 17, 2005
I am taking my son on an elk hunt in northern Utah this fall and wonder what factory ammo to use. We have the following boxes of 30-06 ammo in stock to choose from and shooting Remington 7400 semi-auto / Remington 700 bolt action rifles:

* Federal Hi-Energy 180-gr. (Nosler) Partitions @ 2,880 fps
* Federal standard 180-gr. (Nosler) Partitions @ 2,710 fps

* Winchester Supreme 180-gr. (Nosler) AccuBond @ 2,750 fps

* Federal 180-gr. (Speer) Grand Slam PSP @ 2,700 fps
* Federal 180-gr. (Nosler) Solid Base PSP @ 2,710 fps

Thanks in advance of your advice!

P.S. My best groups in the Remington 7400 semi-auto were 5/8" using factory Federal 180-gr. Solid Base Boat Tail ammo and I've been fortunate to achieve 1" or better 3 out of 4 times. This is rare, but I still have the targets and the rangemaster is still shaking his head.

Semi-auto 30-06 has customized tuned action, 3 lb trigger, muzzle crown touch-up, free floated stock, and LimbSaver Pad. Not your average Remington 7400 that shoots 2 1/2" groups.

Question:

Is the 180-gr. Nosler Solid Base tough enough for elk or should I take my chances with this (just adequate bullet) accurate round since the semi-auto is capable of quick follow-up shots?

Steve

P.P.S. Remington 700 SPS with 24" stainless barrel and standard LimbSaver Pad (also has similar customization as the semi-auto) will need to be tested some more. Although I consider it to be a nicer setup, it's too new. The bolt action shoots factory 180-gr. Nosler AccuBonds and 180-gr. Speer Grand Slams at about 1 1/4" groups, but I have no idea where the Federal 180-gr. High Energy or regular Nosler Partitions will be.

I typically shoot elk in the timber where bad angles are the norm. I've used Nosler Partitions to good effect from every imaginable angle. I have a lot of confidence in the Partition and can see no good reason to change to a bullet like the AccuBond.

Although I am a Nosler fan I would say shoot the most accurate. All you listed will do the job right. If accuracy is identical I would choose AccuBond or Partition.

I have shot two elk with my 30-06 with 165 grain partitions. I get better groups with accubonds but am leary to try them because I know the partitions work.

I would go with the 180 partitions, My dad uses 06 and that is the bullet i load for him in his old Win 54 w/ open sights.

Went to the range yesterday and the Rem 700 with 24" barrel was shooting factory 30-06 High Energy Federal Partitions at 1 1/8" groups with a hot barrel.

I've found my elk ammo for one rifle, now need to see what the semi-auto likes (probably 180-gr. AccuBonds from the Winchester Supreme line-up).

I prefer accubonds because I've run the gambut of close and far shots and have learned they are ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE with a more linear expansion and more accurate in my rifles. More retained energy at long range. I've found the partitions tend a little more to blow up the front part at real high velocity (over 3000 fps). From a 30-06 choose whichever is more accurate. It's absolutely a win-win situation!
GOOD HUNTING AND POST PICTURES :grin:

Partitions for elk are always better as an all around bullet for elk as elk don't wait around for you to get the perfect shot. You never know what angle of shot you'll be presented with or at what range. The AccuBond is the best long range elk bullet, but the Partition s the best all-around elk bullet.

Brad

147gr

It is my belief that the very best factory load for a 30-06 is Federal's High Energy 180gr Trophy bonded bear claws. This load has been chronoed in 22in barrels and gets 2,900fps plus the fact that a TBBC will retain 95-100% of its weight puts it ahead of the Partition.

We shoot moose with the 180gr Sierra Gameking in the 30-06. Excellent bullet.

In my .30-06 I have always used Nosler Partions on everything from hunting Pronghorn to hunting Elk with no complaint at all.

Back