30-06 load regular primer or magnum?

CamoHunter

Beginner
Nov 11, 2011
I am going to load up some Partitions and Accubonds in 180 grains for one of my 30-06 rifles.
The powder will be Ramshot Hunter.
The book (Nosler #6) lists a regular primer to be used but I have seen many load recommendations on different forums for the use of a magnum primer.
What does one provide that the other does not and how do you know when you should try a magnum in place of just a LR primer. Either way I would/will start low and work up.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Camo

The magnum will generate more brisance, a longer burn column (useful in longer powder columns or with larger powder volumes or in cold weather). It will also generate more pressure. Generally, you will have measurable increase in velocity, which reflects the higher chamber pressure.

You should actually do a work up with which ever one you choose to use don't just substitute one for the other. You can use either primer but usually you will not come up with the same powder charge for the same velocity as stated above. Unless you are going to be shooting in really cold temps there is really no reason to use mag primers in the 30-06 unless you work up a load that is more accurate with their use than other primers. I ran into this with my present 25-06. The most accurate load I worked up for it was with CCI 250 mag primers. Primer makes and strengths DO make a difference in accuracy and a velocity of a load. You also must realize that the Partitions usually will not be tack drivers. You will most likely get good enough hunting accuracy but not bug holes so don't waist a bunch of time and money trying to get the bug hole accuracy. The AccuBond is a different critter. In my experience they are very accurate bullets and they like to jump a ways to the lands. 20 to 40 thousands jump depending on the caliber etc. is usually a sweet spot. If you could only have one bullet for the 30-06 for all North American game it would be hard to beat the 180 AB.

I had better accuracy with Federal 215 mag primers than regular 210 primers using Nosler 30-06 brass, 180 gr Accubonds and 58.5 of Ramshot Hunter in my Nosler Model 48 Custom. Three round groups around .5" to.75". I started with the 210 and the accuracy was ok, but not great. As always, work up! YMMV.

Complete pass through a good sized cow elk with the Accubonds on a slightly quartering toward me double lung shot just above the heart. Broke a rib going in and on the exit, nice but not excessive exit hole.

Bruce

Thanks for the replies guys.
I would definitely start over if I changed any component during the process. I was just curious why people substituted magnum primers on a mid range non-magnum caliber and what the benefits could be. I knew that they would burn differently and it makes sense that the pressure would increase.
I just did not want to waste time and components using regular primers if there was a clear benefit to starting with magnums. Sounds like I should start with regular primers and see where it leads me.
Again, I appreciate the comments.
Camo

CCI benchrest primers work really good on my 3006. SD was single digits on the chrono with BR primers.

I’ve done magnum too. Just started buying bricks of BR primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some really great accuracy and velocity with Hunter and CCI250s. I think I remember a max around 60 grains in the book but I got 2800 FPS with 58 grains and stopped.

I need to play with it some more, I have a pile of 180 PTs to mess with!

My rule of thumb is to use a Magnum primer when powder charges are 60.0 grs and above.

JD338

I used to use H414/W760 in some handloads with 150 grain bullets in a .30-06; the manual called for standard but since those are ball powders and (Hunter is as well I believe) the Magnum caps give better ignition I used CCI 250s. It worked well but as has been mentioned, pressures topped out before book max was reached when using the hotter primers.

All interesting information, thank you all. Maybe I will start low and do a side by side comparison using both primers looking for best accuracy and velocity.

Camo

Ramshot Hunter is a powder that can sometimes give better performance with a magnum primer. I always do a dual work up. Also I get better accuracy at or near the Max with this powder.

Easy rule of thumb to start with. Granular powder, standard primer. Ball powder, magnum primer.

I used to switch back and forth from standard to magnum primers.I tried Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primers in my 30-06 and 308 and to be quite honest with you I really didn't see that much difference.So now I'm just using the magnums for my magnum and standard calibers.

I don’t remember where I read it but Winchester primers are supposed to be a little hotter due to being designed for their ball powders. I’m not sure if it’s true but I know I’ve read that somewhere.

Gunner46":3ezo48bh said:
Easy rule of thumb to start with. Granular powder, standard primer. Ball powder, magnum primer.

One would think that is a simple way to do things but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Before I got my RCBS Chargemaster I literally and figuratively shot strictly ball powders. I got tired of the hassle of adjusting a powder measure, especially with the log type powders such as 4831. I still had to do the adjust and weigh for a load work up using ball powder but once I found the sweet spot in was throw the charges and spot check every fifth round. I first used CCI primers until I hit a bad batch with quite a few misfires so switched to Winchester WLRs and never looked back. They worked just fine even with the slow WMR that like for the .300 Win. Mag. They worked just fine with W760 and H335, both ball powders. I have a brick of Winchester WLRM primers I've never even opened up. It's been pretty cold on most of my last elk hunts. One year we had a heat wave and it was 35 to 40 above zero. The last three hunts have run from 4 above to 13 above for the high for the day and the Winchester and CCI primers worked just fine. Winchester primers in the .35 Whelen with Re15 and CCI primers for the 30-06 and W760. Rifles went bang every time and the bullets went out harvest my elk. What's not to like?
Paul B.

I use Fed GM210M primers in my Weatherby Vanguard Sporter 30-06.

Here's my load info:

180AB
Nosler brass trimmed to 2.48"
55.5gn of H414
COL: 3.390"
Muzzle velocity is around 2823 FPS

180ET
Nosler brass trimmed to 2.48"
53.5gn H4350
COL: 3.390"

180AB target (3 shots)

180ET target (3 shots)