30-06 M760 load?

Jager1

Beginner
Sep 23, 2010
I just recently purchased a Remington 760 carbine in 30-06 and being that I've never loaded for this type of rifle
before I was wondering if there were any suggestions of do's and do nots.

Thanks,
Jager1

From my experience with a 7600 years ago keep the chamber clean and you will be good to go. More than likely it will handle maximum loads from a manual just fine but hot rodding isn't a good idea. They can be surprisingly accurate.

I have an old model 760 pump and it is not picky, just don't load it to the top without carefully working up from below. The action is strong but you can stick a case in the action if you don't full length size and trim every time and don't load to the brim! I don't need a small base die either. My load is a medium load of imr4350 behind a 165 grain flat base bullet. I guess the newer 760's and 7600's were free floated on the barrel, mine had a metal tab at the fore-end that supported the barrel. With this tab putting pressure on barrel it shot poorly, but with it ground for clearance it will shoot with most factory bolt action 30-06 rifles. The barrel is the same as found on the model 700 actions. Clean the barrel with a brass cleaning muzzle protector as rubbing the rod at the muzzle end while cleaning can cause wear without this protection.

The old 760 pump rattled quite a bit where the inner steel rod and outer tube had a lot of clearance. This can be fixed with a bit of work. Google the procedure if the rattle bothers you, I fixed mine!

I first started reloading with a Rem. Mod. 760 in .30-06 back in 1977. Have since owned and loaded for them in .7mm-08 and .35Rem. as well. As stated you don't need a small base die for resizing. A full length works just fine. With my .35 I neck size to keep the primers from backing out as written about by Ken Waters in Hand Loader magazine several years ago. The 760 is easy to load for. Strong and accurate. I always start at the starting load and work up. It will handle max loads as listed in reloading manuals but I load for the best group not speed so my loads are for the most part below max. The newer 760 did not have the rattle forearm as the older ones did. I think you will be pleased with your gun and have good results with it. Let us know how it develops for you. Dan.

If you're not trying to reach out to extreme range or hunt any extraordianarily large critters, I'd suggest the standard "Garand" load. 45-47 grains of IMR 4064 or either of the 4895s pushing a 150 or 165 grain soft point. This will give you .308 level performance on deer sized game and will be pleasant to shoot and easy to eject.

I keep the 46-4064-HXP mil brass 150 Sierra pro hunter on hand as it can be fired in my Garand or my M1917 sporter. Gets used mostly for casual shooting. I bring both out to introduce youth shooters to high powered rifles at our club. This load in a relatively heavy rifle is easy on the shoulder, but don't let that fool you. Puts down deer with authority to 200 yards and I wouldn't be afraid to push it to 300. It is very accurate in both rifles as well.

Thanks for the sharing your words of wisdom. I did manage to get the range and shot some factory loads and she's a
shooter for sure. It's nice to get lucky every now and athen. I believe I will try some H4350 first with a 150gr AB

Regards, Jager1

In mine I use IMR4064 or Win 760 with 150gr Nosler PAR at max loads. No problems. I do use Small Base RCBS dies because I got them for a Rem 740 which was a bit of a touchy gun to load for. Also use a max load of win 760 (60grs) with a 130gr Speer HP bullet which is great for deer/pronghorns.

I also learned to do the triggers on them because mine required a hammer to go off when I got it. I have since down at least 3 dozen of them for others.

Jager1":1uk91vv4 said:
Thanks for the sharing your words of wisdom. I did manage to get the range and shot some factory loads and she's a
shooter for sure. It's nice to get lucky every now and athen. I believe I will try some H4350 first with a 150gr AB

Regards, Jager1
Just noticed your rifle is a carbine. I would go with a powder on the faster end of the spectrum. IMR 4064, H or I4895, R15, Varget etc. You'll get less muzzle blast/flash and better velocities.

I have some 4064 and Varget I will have to give them a try. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back