30-06 or .338 Win Mag

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
As most of you know I've got a Nosler rifle on order in .338 Win Mag.

Another thread has me considering changing that to a 30-06. Think one rifle for all North American big game. Deer, antelope, elk, and maybe two moose in ten years.

I'm comfortable shooting 300 to 600 Yards and while I will get closer if I can that's often not an option. Short mags are out as Nosler doesn't make any left hand short mags.

I've played with the .300 Win Mag but it just didn't trip my trigger. Worked up loads for two rifles but was never happy with them. Lots of folks use a .270 Winchester and as Jack O'Connor said, "Anything the 270 can do the 30-06 can do better."

So, which one would you choose and why?

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have been very lucky to hunt for 21 years and 19 of those seasons were with a 30-06 the other 2 were with a 338wm. I killed a lot of deer with the 06 and 2 with the 338wm. The deer with the 06 were dead but man the 338wm drops them like a ton. The first deer I shot with it was in a field and my dad was on the other side watching the action. All he saw as the deer drop then the shot. He called me and asked what rifle I was using because he had never seen a deer drop so fast. This year's deer did the same. With these two kills have become a big fan of the 338wm. Is it big for deer, yes, but we get 9 days to hunt with a lot of competition in the woods so I want things down right now. If I were to have one rifle for North America, it would be a 338wm loaded with 210 Partitions or 225 AccuBonds/Partitions depending on what shot the best. Unfortunately mine does not care for the 210 Partitions but I do have some 225 AccuBonds to try this spring!!!

Vince, I think you've got the hunger for the bigger bore rifle. Satisfy it... :grin:

Me, I'd go with the .30-06 for sure. I simply like the cartridge, really like it.

WT - I read ya, but... I've had literally "instant" drops on deer with all sorts of cartridges, including the .223, 6mm Rem, .25-06, .308 Win, .30-06, .45/70 and even the .50 cal traditional muzzle loader. Simply can't beat "instant" no matter how big & powerful a cartridge is used.

I do however, have limited experience with game bigger than deer... And if that was my main focus, I might go for something bigger than the .30-06, maybe. I really only hunt with the .375 for fun, not because I consider it remotely necessary.

Vince, shoot what you want! And I think that's the .338 Win mag... (y)

Regards, Guy

Hard to fault the '06 for versatility. It is effective if the shooter does his part. No flies on the 338, and it will get the job done. If I were restricted to one cartridge, it would be the '06.

Either will likely do anything you might ask of it. The 06 will be a lot easier on your shoulder and when loaded with the right bullet for the task finish game equally as efficiently.

I don't see the 338 as nearly as versatile. The lighter 338 bullets have poor BC when compared to .308 bullets, By the time the BC equal out your velocity falls off so they are dead equal when it comes to long range. Up close you have a tough heavy bullet advantage with the 338 but I doubt with equal placement the 06 running a 200-220gr Partition wouldn't do just as well.

Personally I would probably go 30/06, but I would happily hunt with either one! The real shame would be owning only one!

Step up to a 340 weatherby or 338 rum and you have a better mouse trap! 225 AccuBond @ 3140fps as opposed to 2750 in the win mag, almost 400fps faster, flatter, more energy, but you pay for it in recoil.

Vince, I've had both, and they are both a proven calibre for sure, my vote goes to the .338 WM,
Lou

If you are going to hunt elk and larger game, the .338 is much more of a good thing.

I was perfectly satisfied with my 30-06...plenty enough for anything if the right bullet is used....and even though I have wanted another 280 Ackley for over 20 years, I still strongly considered the 30-06 for my Nosler rifle...in the end the 7mm's won out though, better downrange ballistics and less recoil...and given what you said in your OP, the 7's might be worth a look for you too....the Ackley and/or the Rem Mag cover a lot of ground...good downrange power, less wind drift...the bullets are lighter but still excellent sectional density from 160 grains on up, plenty of penetration.

Hahaha...here I am cluttering the situation even worse with calibers you aren't even asking about, lol...but I gave you the same advice I gave myself when I asked myself this same question.

The old 30-06 will get it done, and done nicely...but at 400 yards and beyond the 7's kick its little @$$ in the wind.

For a "one gun" arsenal for hunting anything except big bears in North America...I believe the 280 Ackley is the best balanced round there is (the 7mm-08 is a very close 2nd with a 24" barrel).

Between the 30-06 and the 338WM...I'd take the 30-06 all day everyday.

Just in case anyone missed this, 300 to 600 Yards on all North American game, elk, antelope, and deer. Maybe throw in bear defense on Kodiak Island while hunting deer.

Vince

I have brass for the 30-06, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Win Mag and not looking to buy anymore brass as I got poor all of a sudden. [emoji2]

I wanted to add...

For a rifle such as we are talking about (expensive), I think its important to not get carried away with overkill...get a rifle you can and will use for damn near everything, one that you WANT to use for damn near everything.

Its not all about caliber or power...its about comfort and accuracy too.

Vince":31k9wsnw said:
Just in case anyone missed this, 300 to 600 Yards on all North American game, elk, antelope, and deer. Maybe throw in bear defense on Kodiak Island while hunting deer.

Vince

I'd want a jackhammer firing bowling balls... (y)

I did miss that...in light of that, I might be inclined to go 35 Whelen (just not a magnum guy)

Ridgerunner665":i7eckrla said:
Vince":i7eckrla said:

Vince

I'd want a jackhammer firing bowling balls... (y)

I did miss that..
I've got the jackhammer, bring the bowling balls.

DrMike":1gz9fqnt said:
Hard to fault the '06 for versatility. It is effective if the shooter does his part. No flies on the 338, and it will get the job done. If I were restricted to one cartridge, it would be the '06.

I second this motion!

338 Win Mag all the way. I shoot my 338 quite a lot and really enjoy it a bunch. While some say it's hard to see the effects of it on larger game my Whelen and 338 have been the best. Maybe I'll change my mind but I really like the way a 210 or 225 PT works when loaded correctly. Maybe not needed all of the time I do like the crush factor.

I doubt you'll see any significant difference between the two, but I'd stick with what your gut told you to do in the first place. If you change things mid stream and go with the 06 you might always be thinking "what if?" I find your first decision is usually the right one.

Vince":go17gbkk said:
Another thread has me considering changing that to a 30-06. Think one rifle for all North American big game. Deer, antelope, elk, and maybe two moose in ten years.k

Vince, I deeply apologize for starting your mind down this path.

In looking at the game to be hunted- there are a lot of "smaller" critters that the '06 is perfect for. I've never seen a deer or antelope alive that needed a .338. Elk is up for debate and a moose every ten years isn't worth putting up with a .338 year in and out...they're also pretty soft for size and a lot are killed with less than the '06.

That said.... my good friend and frequent hunting partner uses a .338WM loaded with 180ABs on caribou. It is devastating....he's 4/4 for dropping them in their tracks from 125 to 400+ yards. That's a big part of why I'm looking at one....

hodgeman":3w45ttx5 said:
Vince":3w45ttx5 said:
Another thread has me considering changing that to a 30-06. Think one rifle for all North American big game. Deer, antelope, elk, and maybe two moose in ten years.k

Vince, I deeply apologize for starting your mind down this path.

In looking at the game to be hunted- there are a lot of "smaller" critters that the '06 is perfect for. I've never seen a deer or antelope alive that needed a .338. Elk is up for debate and a moose every ten years isn't worth putting up with a .338 year in and out...they're also pretty soft for size and a lot are killed with less than the '06.

That said.... my good friend and frequent hunting partner uses a .338WM loaded with 180ABs on caribou. It is devastating....he's 4/4 for dropping them in their tracks from 125 to 400+ yards. That's a big part of why I'm looking at one....
No apologies necessary amigo.[emoji4]

There are always other alternatives, like the .338 Federal where you get .30-06 recoil with a .338 210 Partition at 2600 fps. The .338 federal kills similar to a .338 Mag or .35 Whelan without the big recoil. All that you lose is about 100 yards of range to the .338 Win Mag. Just a thought but I don't want to muddy the waters any more.

Back