30-06 or .338 Win Mag

hodgeman":3iyk4vln said:
Vince":3iyk4vln said:
Another thread has me considering changing that to a 30-06. Think one rifle for all North American big game. Deer, antelope, elk, and maybe two moose in ten years.k

Vince, I deeply apologize for starting your mind down this path.

In looking at the game to be hunted- there are a lot of "smaller" critters that the '06 is perfect for. I've never seen a deer or antelope alive that needed a .338. Elk is up for debate and a moose every ten years isn't worth putting up with a .338 year in and out...they're also pretty soft for size and a lot are killed with less than the '06.

That said.... my good friend and frequent hunting partner uses a .338WM loaded with 180ABs on caribou. It is devastating....he's 4/4 for dropping them in their tracks from 125 to 400+ yards. That's a big part of why I'm looking at one....
OK decision made.

Given that I have a .338 Win Mag already I decided to go with a 30-06. My reasoning is that there are a lot of western animals that will fall to the 30-06 and as much as I love the ballistics of the .338 long shooting sessions do take their toll.

The 30-06 I currently have sports a 22" barrel. I've never been enthused with the compactness of the rifle but it has it's place. I've decided to go with a 26" barrel to get a little better powder burn and maybe gain another 100 fps. Then, depending on the situation, I'll pick the most appropriate rifle from the safe.

Mulling it over there are a lot more situations where the 30-06 will be appropriate in my opinion. Never fear, I still have the .338 Win Mag I am just going to stop trying to turn it i in to something that it's not.

Now I'm off to shoot ground squirrels with a 45-70. [emoji2] I appreciate everyone's time and energy giving this question consideration. Thank you all.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

No, it's for Art Alphin's company, A-Square. They built big game rifles, particularly for Africa, and had some of their own cartrides, called A-Square. The .338-06 was a favored one. I don't think it was any different from any other version of the .338-06, but could be wrong.

I think Art's company is long gone now. He ran into some trouble.

Article with the bones of the info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-Square

Guy

Vince":2mp1c3em said:
hodgeman":2mp1c3em said:
Vince":2mp1c3em said:
Given that I have a .338 Win Mag already I decided to go with a 30-06. My reasoning is that there are a lot of western animals that will fall to the 30-06 ....The 30-06 I currently have sports a 22" barrel. I've never been enthused with the compactness of the rifle but it has it's place..... I've decided to go with a 26" barrel to get a little better powder burn and maybe gain another 100 fps.

Vince- I think you'll like the '06. Depending on the powder you use, you can really pump up the '06. A friend of mine with a 26" barrel can get so close to the .300WSM it isn't funny using RL17. I would have said he was pulling my leg if I hadn't see the chrony with my own 2 eyes.

Modern bullets and powder have done nothing but improve the old stand by.

Well Vince, I wasn't trying real hard to convince you on the .30-06, but it's almost always a good choice, and is truly one of my all-time favorites.

Regards, Guy

Vince,

You can't go wrong with the 338 Win Mag. You can load it down to 30-06 levels for target shooting
or load it up for most anything you would ever want to hunt. The 210 gr PT will cover most requirements but you can go up to 250 gr PT for serious penetration and the 250 gr AB or 300 gr AB for serious long range shooting.

JD338

Guy Miner":1vd7gvv5 said:
No, it's for Art Alphin's company, A-Square. They built big game rifles, particularly for Africa, and had some of their own cartrides, called A-Square. The .338-06 was a favored one. I don't think it was any different from any other version of the .338-06, but could be wrong.

I think Art's company is long gone now. He ran into some trouble.

Article with the bones of the info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-Square

Guy

I think between you and Dr. Mike, you guys know everything. I don't think there is a Wikipedia or Google, just a hard line to your two computers!

An '06 is never a poor choice, Vince. I'm certain it will serve you well.

JD338":rgo0qi0t said:
Vince,

You can't go wrong with the 338 Win Mag. You can load it down to 30-06 levels for target shooting
or load it up for most anything you would ever want to hunt. The 210 gr PT will cover most requirements but you can go up to 250 gr PT for serious penetration and the 250 gr AB or 300 gr AB for serious long range shooting.

JD338
I was set on the .338 but when I started doing some more research a few things grabbed my attention and intrigued me. I'm anxious to see how the longer barrel performs in the '06.
I'm NOT giving up my .338! I just think the two will make a great two gun combo. Besides, being a gun slut I'm already looking at a Montana action for something else. [emoji4]

Vince

Vince are you not doubling up a bit as you have the 280AI if I remember right. The 280 AI up to the 175gr will do everything the 06 will and you have the 338win mag for top end stuff :mrgreen:!
So the Nosler rifle is just cool to have so what ever calibre you choose it is a winner!!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1ivb7lif said:
Vince are you not doubling up a bit as you have the 280AI if I remember right. The 280 AI up to the 175gr will do everything the 06 will and you have the 338win mag for top end stuff :mrgreen:!
So the Nosler rifle is just cool to have so what ever calibre you choose it is a winner!!

Blessings,
Dan
Dan,
No .280 here.
I have a 6.5x284 and I'll soon be doubling up on the 30-06. Then I have the .338 Win Mag. Between those four, outside of a varmint slayer, I'm pretty well stocked.
Oldtrader3":1ivb7lif said:
+1 to Dan's comments, Vince?
Sorry Charlie.
No .280 in my stable. The closest I can get to the .280 is a right handed 25-06 or a 6.5x284. The 25-06 is a safe queen now as it bears a right handed action and I've vowed to shoot only left handed rifles. My Model 70, .338 Win Mag, left hand action showed me the light after forty years of nothing but right handed actions.

What? No .280? Why, that is almost sacrilege! This deficit must be remedied, and soon!

DrMike":1444t86t said:
What? No .280? Why, that is almost sacrilege! This deficit must be remedied, and soon!
I will work on my deficiencies sir.
No excuse sir!
Food is highly overrated.

Vince

A 30-06 is like the classic Navy Blue Blazer sport coat. It's good to have one in the closet because it is appropriate in so many situations... ;-)

Vince, I have to cast my vote for the .30-06.

As Guy said there are no flies on either cartridge but for an all around I think the .30-06 is the closest to Nirvana in that capacity as one can ask for and recoil is a lot nicer than the .338.

I have extensive experience hunting deer and elk with the .30-06 with a wide variety of handloads as well as factory stuff. Its my #1 choice for where and what I hunt.

Power doesn't come without a price and feel like you would be pleased with the kinder recoil but still sufficient power of the .30-06 versus the heavier kick of the magnum.

I would give the .338 the edge on long range shooting. You mentioned 300-600 yards as a comfort zone. The .30-06 will be accurate enough for such shooting but I feel that even with the best bullets the .30-06 (in my experience) is a 400-450 yard hunting rifle in even the most ideal conditions.

Be sure to get the 24" barrel on your .30-06 if you get one, I feel its a better balance for that rifle and gives you another 50-75 fps of velocity depending on the load. I also feel a .338 needs a minimum 24" tube to be as good in open country though I have seen a couple of cut down .338s in the woods being used successfully on elk.

That being said you need to get what YOU want Vince.

But there is my $0.02 on the subject.

Back