30-06 pet loads

G

I know, this topic's been covered nine ways to Sunday. But here's #10.

I'm very close to buying a Colt Light Rifle that's been sitting on a dealer's shelf for almost a decade now, because he's willing to part with it for about half of dealer cost. So here I am, gathering up components to load 30-06 rounds. But in all my handloading, I've never fooled with the -06. I've loaded for the 8x57, which largely duplicates the -06 performance, and a 270Win, but never an -06.

I'm thinking 150 or 165gr bullets, as the gun has a 24" barrel so velocity should be good, but it's also light, so I'm thinking to keep recoil tamed by avoiding 180gr's. What works? Give me as much information as you can - bullet, case, powder & charge, primer, COL, velocity & accuracy, how you held your mouth, what kind of dance you did prior to shooting...

Thanks!

dubyam,

I've hand-loaded for the '06 on and off for several years. I prefer 165 grain bullets, but the 150s will work very well for deer. It is almost impossible to go wrong with almost any modern bullet. The medium burn rate powders allow you to take a pick, knowing that any will work well --IMR 4064, IMR 4895, IMR 4350, IMR 4831, RL15 through RL22, VN160, etc. Almost everything works in the '06. That Colt light rifle should be a great deal. Sounds like a great buy.

a long longtime ago

............................................in a galaxie far far away

........................................................................... 57 grains of IMR4350

....................................................................................................150 grain sierra sp

....................................................................................................................killed me many many deer!

I use 150 gr bullets. I like Nosler PAR or Hornady Interbond for hunting. I have used Nosler BT but was not happy with them on game. However others love them. The two powders I have found to do the best over the Chrono and accurate for me are Win760 and IMR4064. I use mag primers with all hunting loads. Brass is commercial and not mil surplus. Brands include Win/Rem/Fed/Frontier/Peters so you can see just about any brass has worked. IMR4895 has done well also. Using a 150gr Nosler PAR Bullet mag primer and 62.5grs of Win760 for 2828FPS or 53grs of IMR4064 for 2818FPS has been good. Also 53.4grs of IMR4895 for 2822FPS. This is 20' from the muzzle and in a Rem 760 pumpaction rifle with an 18" barrel. Varget/RL15 and others were tried but speed is down. This load has worked for everything from ground squirrels to elk. I also have used 130gr HP from speer or the Nosler 125gr BT for smaller deer and pronghorns with good success. That load would be IMR4064 or H-335 with Win760 working but loos 100+FPS The IMR4064 was the standout for the lighter bullet.

Max load of 59 grains H4350 will move a 165 at 2900 fps from a 24" .30-06 rifle. I've used 58 grains of it for many years, and just switch between standard 165 gr Nosler Solid Base bullets or the Nosler Partition as I see fit.

A standard large rifle primer does the trick.

Your rifle will tell you what your overall loaded length should be. Mine are typically loaded rather longer than factory ammo. To me the 165 is a perfect bullet weight for the .30-06, with a great combination of bullet weight and velocity. H4350 is also a superb powder for it, although there are many other powders which work well.

The 180's are good too - but as you say, they do bump up the recoil a bit. A 165 is more than adequate for any deer. Based on performance on mule deer, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 165 Nosler Partition on elk either.

Regards, Guy

3 different 30-06 rifles I've loaded for liked:

IMR 4064/ 150 grainers
IMR 4350/ 165 grainers
IMR 4350 or RL-22/ 180 grainers

All within 2 grains to book max

This works for me & has worked in two very different rifles with same results. Excellent accuracy of 1/2 to 3/4" 3-shot groups at 100 yards. Chronographed in my Ruger #1B with a 26" barrel at 2940 fps. I no longer have the Remington 700 ADL. :( I found this load with 165 gr. as I felt it was a great compromise between the 150 and 180 gr. bullets and it's killed a lot of game. No pressure signs in either rifle, but as you know, you have to start below this load and work up.

Winchester 30-06 brass, cases trimmed to minimum specs before loading even new cases to square up the case mouths and make sure they all are the same length.

Federal 210 primers

Nosler 165 gr. AccuBond OR Partition :!: Just my personal thought, but if I had to shoot just one of these, it would be the AccuBond! You cannot beat the Partition though either. I'm lucky since my rifle shoots them both to the same degree of accuracy. If it did not, I would shoot ONE OF THESE TWO that shoots the best in my rifle! :arrow: Cannot help myself, but I like Noslers and I do not shoot ANYTHING ELSE in my rifles for big-game :!: :!: That being said, there are a lot of other good bullets out there. Find the one your rifle likes the best (Accurate), and is made and designed for the game you plan to hunt it with.

IMR4350: 57.4 grs.

OAL: 3.375 with the Partition (Seating die left at this setting and used with the AccuBond too. With it's slightly longer tip and bullet shape, it is just a tad longer. ) My first 30-06 was a Remington Model 700 ADL, and there was plenty of room in the magazine for this seating depth, and its chamber throat allowed it as well. Shot the same with both bullets.

3.410 with the AccuBond using same depth setting as the Partition. I was lucky, it works. They shoot to same point of impact and same accuracy results.

Guy Miner":28utrxgt said:
A 165 is more than adequate for any deer. Based on performance on mule deer, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 165 Nosler Partition on elk either.

Regards, Guy

I have been lucky enough to take several elk with my 30-06 using 165 grain Partitions and the regular solid-base boattail (that I loved until they quite making it). They worked wonderfully and had no problems killing elk with either one. Since the AccuBond is newer, I have used some of my other rifles to shoot elk with, and have not had the chance to harvest one with the AccuBond..........yet! :oops: I have seen the 180 gr. AccuBond in my buddies 300 WSM used on a large 6 pt. bull though, and it could not have performed better! Two shots behind the shoulder in the lungs at about 300 yards. One bullet exited, and one was recovered just under the hide on the off-side. It was mushroomed perfectly and did a superb job. The 165 gr. should work just as well :!: :!:

My vote goes for 165 grainers and IMR 4350. Accuracy and velocity are great with this combination. I have loaded it for friends and it works great, although I never owned a 30-06. :grin:

Guy I see you talking about the old Solid Base boattails. Do they sometimes make batches of them, or can you still find them sometimes?

I haven't spent much time with a 30-06 :lol: :lol: :lol:

165gr bullet and H4350 or IMR4350 Fed 210 primers and forget everything else. Velocities can be reach that are over 2900fps without pressure and some max loads will be at 3000fps and this is with outstanding accuracy.

At 2950fps and above with H4350 out of a 24" barrel hear is the accuracy you can expect.

IMG_6760.jpg

Five shot group 100yds
IMG_6792.jpg

Three shot group at 100yds
IMG_7984.jpg

IMG_7962.jpg

chet":1gdx8rgo said:
a long longtime ago

............................................in a galaxie far far away

........................................................................... 57 grains of IMR4350

....................................................................................................150 grain sierra sp

....................................................................................................................killed me many many deer!

Substitute a 165 Hornady BTSP and you took the words right outa my mouth.

I'm loading for my 30-06 handy rifle is a 165 gr.Nosler bullet with 59 grains of H 4350 powder to achieve 2938 FPS. This is my pet load for this rifle as I love the way it shoots for a short barrel gun. It's a tack driver at 100yds.

Noslers Rock!

dubyam

I cut my teeth loading with the 30-06 and I used a lot of different powders.
My go to powder in the 30-06 for 150. 165, and 180 gr bullets was always IMR 4350. RL 22 is also a good pick with the 180 gr loads.

JD338

dubyam, for years I used 47 grains of 4064 with a 165 Grain Sierra Gameking. Primer was a WLR and Remington cases. A lot of deer bit the dust with that load. Velocity was 2750 out of a 24 inch barrel.

51.2 grs IMR 4064, Rem case, CCI-BR or 200 primer, 150 sierra or Nosler bt has been the standard 30-06 load around my parts for many a year. It has piled up a many a deer. I really have never seen a good bolt rifle that would not really shoot with this load. I just cured an ill shooting Mauser MarkX for a friend of mine by free floating the barrel and changing the trigger and using the above load with the Sierra bullet. I is a one hole shooter at 100 yards. He killed a nice 7 point buck right at 100 yards with it. Dropped it in it's tracks.

6mm Remington - Nosler was making the good old Solid Base bullet again a few years ago - I believe for one of the major ammo manufacturers. When they were closing down the production about three or four years ago they had a good sale going and I picked up a bunch of them in 6mm & .30 cal.

They shoot just as good now as when I was using them in the 1980's. My son took his mule deer this year with a 100 gr Solid Base from his 6mm Rem rifle. It worked very well and I continue to think that they were good all-around bullets. Although I've grown fond of the Ballistic Tip over the years I remember actually being irritated when Nosler replaced the Solid Base bullets with the B-Tips many years ago... That was a long time ago though.

Will they make 'em again? I don't know...

Guy

Back