.30-06 recommendation

Elkman":3u432hj4 said:
Great write up Guy, the "06" has been popular for many years because it "works".

Yup. And the 308 Win is right on the heels so it wouldn't be a bad choice either.

JD338

I had a gunsmith tell me:

"if everyone just bought a 30-06 they would have all the gun they needed for anything in North America, but my job would get boring"

Great advice Guy! Why couldn't you have talked to me before I filled my safe twice???

One other thing, unless you covered it and I missed it. You can pick up 30-06 ammo around the globe. That's a pretty big advantage over a lot of other calibers

Bought a copy of Wilderness hunting and Wildcraft (Whelen) in paperback. The 4 cartridges he puts as best are the 6.5x54, .270 WCF, 7x57 and the .30-06 Government with his preference for all-around being the latter. Not much has changed in 100 years in my point of view.

I too prefer a 165 grain bullet as my go-to load in a .30-06 but if I was to move to Canada or Alaska I would simply lay in a good supply of the 180 grain Nosler Partitions and call it good.

You just can't beat this gun. Like the .45-70, I am sure we will be using this one for many years to come.

It works, and you can't ask for more than that.

Way to go Guy, I feel like you said it all.

6.5x54, .270 WCF, 7x57 and the .30-06 Government

Pretty good selection of tried and trues there. One of those cartridges I have always been fascinated with is the 6.5 x 54 MS. Probably why I have a barrel coming in that :grin: .

Guy, that was well written. Pretty convincing arguments also. While I am not a 30-06 "guy", I can't argue with your statements. Although I do have a number of variations of the original. I guess just have to be contrary sometimes.
I would agree with your choice of the 165 in the 06. Probably the best blend of speed, penetration and trajectory for that cartridge, IMO.
It does make sense for a one gun battery. Multiple guns? That's when the fun debates start. :grin:

I've hunted with all four of the cartridges Whelen mentioned. The 6.5 was a special favorite for deer. It was quite accurate with the Norma 160 load but only so so with the 140 gr. Norma. Got fair accuracy with 140 Sierras as I recall but as the gun was stolen back in 1975 I don't recall very much on what I used in the loads other than I worked with IMR3031 and 4895. Took quite a few deer with that little 1903 Mannlicher carbine. :grin:
I've hunted a bit with the 7x57 and .270 as well but the lion's shared to my hunts has been with the 30-06. Thinking of using the 7x57 for my cow elk hunt next January if I find a load I like. Probably use the .35 Whelen as back up as usual. :mrgreen:
Paul B.

Dwh7271":2nl1cpcf said:
6.5x54, .270 WCF, 7x57 and the .30-06 Government

Pretty good selection of tried and trues there. One of those cartridges I have always been fascinated with is the 6.5 x 54 MS. Probably why I have a barrel coming in that :grin: .

Guy, that was well written. Pretty convincing arguments also. While I am not a 30-06 "guy", I can't argue with your statements. Although I do have a number of variations of the original. I guess just have to be contrary sometimes.
I would agree with your choice of the 165 in the 06. Probably the best blend of speed, penetration and trajectory for that cartridge, IMO.
It does make sense for a one gun battery. Multiple guns? That's when the fun debates start. :grin:

Yep. Like me I don't like the 06 but love it's offspring. I don't like anything with more capacity than a 06. But that's my opinion. Maybe because I was raised on the 280. The 338 version or 35 however makes a lot of sense.

Yeah the smaller case 6.5's really have my attention these days. Have been looking at a .260 Rem in the classifieds that would be mine if I wasn't broke and getting married at the end of this month. The Creedmore and 6.5x284 have also gotten more than the casual eyeballing as well.

I like my .30-06 though and everytime I go to buy a new gun I truly wonder if it will get to see even half of the action that my Model 70 does each fall. That's a tough league to be a 2nd stringer in, the Model 70 nearly always gets to go when I am in the woods.

We are a good team. And like I said, it just works. What else could you want?

Hey Guy!
Well said and extremely convincing!
For the one gun hunter, you can't go wrong with a .30-06. Yes, it's almost 110 yrs old, and I hope I'm as spry as it is if I make it that long.
I first shot my Dad's .30-06, because he wanted to pass on the hunting tradition, and to possibly make another 06 convert.
Well.....I never did pick up the 06 bug, because there are cartridges that kick less for varmint hunting. Now, I also used more powerful cartridges for bigger game, and they had more kick, and bellow. And loosened more fillings.
I'm older now, hopefully a little wiser.
I have to admit, I'm back in the .30-06 fold, because I realize it's as great a cartridge as my Dad has talked about. It has more than ample accuracy and power to take anything on this continent. It's not laser flat, but it just plain works.
My Remington 760 Gamemaster prefers the 180gr. bullets, and I'm going to run with that and try H4350, and/ or IMR 4350 to push those 180's.

By the way - the fellow in question chose a Cooper rifle.

Last I heard, he was quite happy with it.

Guy

I have a large gun cabinet, I build custom rifles, however I am primarily in the hunting business and have been for 40 plus years..Hunted all over the world..If I have to pick one gun it would be without hesitation the 30-06 with 180 or 200 gr. Nosler or Woodleigh bullets..I have used it on about everything up to and including Hippo and Buffalo. I have seen it used on elephant by local Africans, it always seemed to work, and I have never seen it fail...speaking for myself only...for Dangerous game, depending on the shooter, one might want more gun, but if you stick that 200 gr. bullet in the right spot, whatever you shoot will be in the salt shed shortly thereafter..

Guy,
When premium bullets became available it made the 30-06 that much better. I own one and it has served me well over the years hunting whitetail deer. I would not hesitate to take it Elk hunting if the 300 Rum was not available. As you stated earlier the recoil is not like the larger magnums to shoot, but it will get the job done.

Don

Guy Miner Wrote:
Post subject: .30-06 recommendation
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:38 pm

I've been helping a fellow select his next "all around" rifle. We've been to the range a couple of times, and he's shot both of my .30-06 rifles, as well as several others. He's not a handloader, but is fairly new to hunting, and is after that "one rifle" he can rely on for moose, elk, bear, deer and African plains game.

I'm not a fan of the one rifle to do it all. But I'm also a reloader such that this opens up a lot more cartridge options for me than it would a non-reloader. I'd cover all those hunts with a 270W and a 9.3x62 Mauser. But I do think your pick of a 30-06 would be a good choice for him.

Back